Night Lord Praetor/Captain

Doghouse

Many, many, many moons ago I started a heresy era Night Lords era army and have decided to revisit my Captain using the new technique I have developed.

Artibeus is a Terran, so no pale skin and as I am not a fan of the over the top flayed skin approach I am going for more of a late crusade setting for him. It very easy to see the Traitor Legions as...well just traitors, but these guys did help forge the Imperium of man with their less rebellious brothers.

That is not to say that Artibeus didn't turn with his brothers but just that his motivations were more to do with what he saw as justice in his eyes.

It's still early days but I have basically just started to work on him blocking out the colours and mapping the details that I want to include. I've opted for a gold trim to the shoulder pads as it harks back to my 2nd ed Night Lords army, the FW book has them as metallic for some reason.

I've started to apply washes to get the stubble hair and will dull that down next to make it more natural looking, once the face is done I'll focus more on bringing out the highlights on the armour itself.

I may make his first sergeant too but right now it's mostly just to get back into the swing of painting after spending so much time just sculpting and making things.

http://i66.tinypic.com/24entyg.jpg

Thanks mate. smile.png

It's a Nocturne symbol of some kind, I'm not entirely sure of it's meaning as the FW book doesn't explain.

The lightening is quite difficult to do right, I may have to clean it up a little. From what I can tell the Night Lords have Arco Projectors built into the surface of their armour suggesting that the pattern isn't painted onto the surface but is instead a crackling and moving energy.

Going for a bit of a speed paint with this guy now and am trying to get a realistic tone to the face. Rather than try and get some sort of GD level paint work I am just playing around with techniques and having fun with the model using mostly washes to paint him.

http://i64.tinypic.com/15x70pi.jpg

Thanks mate. smile.png

It's more of a nod to the original interpretation of the pre-Heresy Night Lords, when it was just the single right pad that was trimmed in gold leading to the post heresy twin pad trims. In my version it's more of a personal mark of office, this is his way of saying he is of importance. It's not meant to say all officers would do this, pretty much just a way of marking him out from his men without the need for ostentatious robes or artificer armour. It just says I am first and foremost a soldier, I wear the armour and use the wargear of a soldier but I am also a leader of soldiers so you will respect me as such.

Artiibeus is not one for pantomime, he believes that actions such as overwhelming force speaks more to his enemies that the Nostramo gang rituals of adorning your armour with grisly tokens such as the flayed skin or bones of your enemies. While he does wear the terror markings of the painted skull on his visor, the white knee pad indicating that he may have in fact served in one of the early terror squads. The idea is that he is old school Legion but he accepts Nostramo as the home world of their Legion. In truth he probably sees himself as an enforcer.

I did try the newer silver trim version as seen in the FW book but it didn't look right to me on this guy.

Bit of an update, managed to get a daylight picture lunchtime but the blue is showing lighter than it actually is. He's still a little messy but that's one of the hazards of painting in artificial light I guess. 

http://i65.tinypic.com/2lvi62d.jpg

Raptor head, maybe? It'd mark him as a Terran.

I agree with Apologist, a raptor head would look perfect on him.

Add my vote to those above, raptor head with lightning bolts would really mark him as a Terran

Thanks mate.

He's probably a little darker skinned than most Night Lords. The original members were recruited from a subterranean prison, children born in the darkness much like the Nostramo recruits with albino skin. Artibeus is more likely to have been condemned to the prison as a child just before the Emperor's forces liberated the area and so was recruited along with the others which explains why he has a more natural pigmentation.

I've sculpted a raptor head onto the chest piece now and I am also sculpting a legion numeral on his right pad. I'm thinking of making him Regent of the 27th Company the "Shattered Skull" which might be easy enough to come up with something. 

Archived