Blood Angels literature

LutherMax

So I only just got around to starting the fluff book of Exterminatus and realised it's actually the first Blood Angels-related fiction I own. I've read a few of the early HH novels but wondered if you guys could recommend any good, specially Blood Angels-related Black Library stuff that I might check out..?

Thanks in advance!

Anything by Andy Smile is very entertaining. It's super flesh tearer stuff about flesh tearer. The flesh of cretacia has a great scene involving a thunderhawk springboard, a furioso with double eviscerators, and Amit with a chain fist fighting an enemy the size of a building.

That kind of stuff.

The Aaron Dembski Bowden short stories are well done, as well.

Anything by Andy Smile is very entertaining. It's super flesh tearer stuff about flesh tearer. The flesh of cretacia has a great scene involving a thunderhawk springboard, a furioso with double eviscerators, and Amit with a chain fist fighting an enemy the size of a building.

That kind of stuff.

The Aaron Dembski Bowden short stories are well done, as well.

Anything and everything done by ADB is excellent.

IMO hes hands down best BL writer.

Honestly, I would recommend reading the BA novels simply because they are BA novels. I don't think they are badly written when it comes to writing, I just don't like the story arch.

The good thing is it all HAS to happen post 'm41, meaning it isn't (to me) *canon*. It is a possible future, but that's it. (Compare it to our timeline, you will see what I mean. It's impossible for it to happen pre turn of the millinium)

Also, his story on Dante is directly contradicted by another work on Dante that GW and Black Library put out. (It's Heroes of the Imperium, I think). So between the two, I would say that the Heroes of the Imperium is the more accurate one.

But definitely without a doubt go with Blood Quest. It's the first Warhammer 40k series I've read.

I feel it's a real shame we are yet to receive a good full-length novel from BL, especially when the Blood Angels have the coolest "core" fluff of all the Chapters. There are the Swallow books, but many of us hate the books with a burning fury (naturally nothing against the author himself though smile.png). In HH side of things there's of course Fear To Tread by the same author, which is in my opinion is OK, not great, but OK (so not Rafen series level of horror). However, I can only imagine what someone like Abnett or A D-B could have done with Signus...

Anyways, some shorter form Blood Angels literary I have personally enjoyed:

• Bloodquest!
  • Sin of Damnation by Gav Thorpe
  • Mephiston: Lord of Death by David Annandale (LE)
  • Eclipse of Hope by David Annandale
  • Index Astartes: Death Company by A D-B (ebook)
  • Warlords: Dante by A D-B (ebook)
  • Blood Angels cameo in Horus Rising and

Soul Hunter

However, our maddened brothers, the Flesh Tearers are not suffering from the same problem, as there is a wealth of good stuff about them. Anything written by Andy Smillie is highly recommended, and there is also At Gaius Point, and Tearers feature pretty heavily in the new Ragnar Blackmane book (LE).

Alright, back to waiting a proper BA book about Armageddon...

Interesting... opinion seems quite divided! I have actually read Sin of Damnation – when I bought the Space Hulk re-release and the novella was re-released at the same time. I thought it was okay.

I was interested in Mephiston (partly because it seems quite rare and sells for quite a lot on eBay). I did like the cameo we got in Horus Rising too smile.png

Sounds like I need to get myself a copy of Bloodquest to start with!

Archived