New Interrogator Chaplain?

Thomas_Gardiner

Heya folks! So I really, really like the Interrogator chaplain model that came out with our codex. His whole look just fits the monastic and gothic aesthetic of the Unforgiven perfectly and he just looks like he means business. Problem is, I've never been one to buy models unless I can find an in-game use for them. I don't have the budget to buy models just because I like them. And I can't really find a niche for this model.

I usually put Interrogators in Termie units (normally Knights or a TH+SS Command Squad) to make them a serious CC threat, but that normally means fielding the Chappy in Terminator armour. We lack any real Power Armoured assault units that'd really benefit from having Zealot (my main opponents play armies with good armour saves so Assault Marines and their chainswords are basically useless for me). 

Can you fine folks help me find a use for a power-armoured Chaplain with a Power Fist? What kind of units should I be putting him in? I really want to find a use for this model so I can justify buying it :P

I guess all you'd need to do to convert him into any other kind of character would be to chop off his head and the crozius. A lot of skulls for a normal character, but I think the keys would also fit a librarian aesthetic ?

I guess all you'd need to do to convert him into any other kind of character would be to chop off his head and the crozius. A lot of skulls for a normal character, but I think the keys would also fit a librarian aesthetic ?

Nah, if I did get him I'd want to keep him as is. Just look at his fine ass! :P

Nah, if I did get him I'd want to keep him as is. Just look at his fine ass! tongue.png

Someone just made my day!

We lack any real Power Armoured assault units that'd really benefit from having Zealot (my main opponents play armies with good armour saves so Assault Marines and their chainswords are basically useless for me). 

There's this unit called Company Veterans that wears power armor, has 2 Attacks base per model, and they can all be given weapons capable of ignoring any armor.  It is best to run the unit at full size (some models armed only with bolt pistols and chainswords to suck up casualties without losing as much), with a Chaplain leading them, and the whole lot riding in a Land Raider Redeemer or Land Raider Crusader.  If you are not able to do it all the way because you are on a budget, don't do it at all. Instead, focus on what you can do with what you already have/are able to buy, and forget buying the Chaplain altogether.

After looking at his spure I have to admit it is a space marine after all

You don't like overexpensive power fist? swap it into whatever you like and chappy can use.

You don't like him being on foot and transport/drop pod option doesn't satisfy you, give him a jump pack

Or if you like convertion use a bike with robed legs, cut a hole in is cape and bottom of his torso, make it bent back so it looks more like flowing and green stuff whats missing

Hed doesn' have to have crozius, might as well be puffer axe.

He desn't have to be a chappy after all, you can easily name him...... Sammael

Oh yeah, that dude riding Corvex would be just bad ass

Thomas_Gardiner

I've never been one to buy models unless I can find an in-game use for them

You've made my day with this

After looking at his spure I have to admit it is a space marine after all

You don't like overexpensive power fist? swap it into whatever you like and chappy can use.

You don't like him being on foot and transport/drop pod option doesn't satisfy you, give him a jump pack

Or if you like convertion use a bike with robed legs, cut a hole in is cape and bottom of his torso, make it bent back so it looks more like flowing and green stuff whats missing

Hed doesn' have to have crozius, might as well be puffer axe.

He desn't have to be a chappy after all, you can easily name him...... Sammael

Oh yeah, that dude riding Corvex would be just bad ass

Thomas_Gardiner

I've never been one to buy models unless I can find an in-game use for them

You've made my day with this

hes actually very hard to model onto a bike and no matter which way you slice it your cannabalizing his legs to the point where there not useable anymore, furthermore his fist connects at the wrist in a funny way and no matter which weapon you give him, unless its a gun its going to look really funny, your basically going to get nothing but really wierd poses. i know i built him and tried.

mounting a jump pack is plausible yes but we already have a chaplain with "mount a jump pack" practically written on his forehead: http://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Space-Marine-Chaplain-with-Crozius-Power-Fist

I usually put Interrogators in Termie units (normally Knights or a TH+SS Command Squad) to make them a serious CC threat, but that normally means fielding the Chappy in Terminator armour. We lack any real Power Armoured assault units that'd really benefit from having Zealot (my main opponents play armies with good armour saves so Assault Marines and their chainswords are basically useless for me).

Well 2 points on that

1- you don't have to put your chappy in TDA to go with the knights unless you want to DS them, and to my experience DSing knights is NOT really helpful. So if you run them into a LR, you can include him.

2- I'm tired to see people moaning about how bad the assault squads are... They are marines, they have S4T4 sv3+ 3A on the charge, the possibility to get 2 flamers, move 12", can pass over dif terrain, can DS, have access to drop pod (free if you play a full company)... And all of that for 14/17 pts? Man what do you expect for that? Terminators cost 3x more but have the same resilience per pts cost. So yes they'll kill 3x more but they do cost 3 time more and will die as easily...

I love my assault squads, they are the perfect bodyguards for my full company characters... Oh and I forgot :

3- you are obliged to take a chaplain in order to play a full company and get the bonus

I think he wanted an Interrogator chaplain. The company only allows you to use a standard chaplain. Although I love the model I'm not crazy about his size. He looks as big as a terminator. The power fist doesn't help. Personally I'm happy with the ltd ed Interrogator-Chaplain I get in the 6th ed DV set. I have four chaplains in my collection. One is the skull head normal chaplain that I'll use for my company. The second is the Chaplain in terminator armor that I'll use to lead my Deathwing Strike Force Detachment. Third is the ltd ed one and fourth is Asmodai. The PA Interrogator Chaplains will be interchangeable as I also want a Librarian or Azrael in that second slot for taking a full company.

Assault Marines are bad in my experience though. Like I said, my main opponents tend to run power armoured armies. Hell, the guy I play the most runs Grey Knight terminators. Good luck with your 3 S4 AP- attacks against them! Every time I run Assault Marines against my buddy they kill maybe one or two terminators then get wiped out to a man. Hardly the most efficient use of points. If they work for you, great! But they don't work for me, as I pointed out in the original post :)

Also, the Interrogator can't be taken in the Demi-Company and I personally don't rate the Lion's Blade so that's out the window too.

So consensus seems to be CC Vets in a Land Raider? I was thinking of running a bunch of vets with Shields and Power weapons and sticking the chappy and a Librarius Conclave in a Crusader with them. If I get Sanctuary on one of the Libbies I could have a fun Deathstar with 3/2++ saves. I suppose I could try the same with DWKs but I'm not a huge fan of mixing Power Armoured units with Terminators (I like to throw Termies at AP3 units like Halberd GKs to stop them killing my marines).

If you have the points, a 10 assault marine squad with plasma pistols, and a vet sgt with plasma pistol and power sword, can work well against heavily armored units. Still, if your experience proves otherwise, then dont go that way. To each his own ( I actually run them even if they perform poorly, but just because they just look awesome to me).

Vets could work. I've always felt weird about them though. It always feels like putting too many points into the unit. Wouldn't it be better to just go with DW Knights? 

But what forces you to use him as an interrogator chaplain? Couldn't he be use as your company chaplain?

What I mean is : 5 assault marines + 2 flamers cost 95 points. Don't expect them to have the same results as a squad of termis that costs 250pts. I'm not saying they work well and are the most overpowered unit in the DA codex. I'm just saying that their represent cheap W for your JP fearless character and can also hit well, but they'll always hit like a 95pts unit...

+ chose your target : if you charge 5 terminators kitted for assault, of course they won't do well...

On the opposite, if you charge a squad of devastators or their GK equivalent, you'll prevent them to shoot and won't suffer a lot in return. Moreover, even if you lose the fight (if you are REALLY in bad luck) you'll have a fearless character that will remain engaged and therefore prent them to shoot during their turn.

But back on the topic : just use him as the company chaplain and it's fine...

But what forces you to use him as an interrogator chaplain? Couldn't he be use as your company chaplain?

But back on the topic : just use him as the company chaplain and it's fine...

You can certainly do that and no one would bat an eye. But deep down you know the guy is really an ass-kicking Interrogator Chaplain, msn-wink.gif . Do a Lion Forge or a CAD. If it were me I'd throw that dude in with some vets and go crazy. Besides, chaps/int chaps..never have enough chaplains in a DA army.

Archived