Tabards vs Robes

Malakai

Company Master only (and it's not a good miniature - robe between pauldrons and armour? in power armour?). Interrogator Chaplain has a (double?) surcoat - it has no sleeves so it's not a surplice. Surplice is not an accurate term for describing Dark Angels robes.

I am not describing the robes, but the garment that is being worn directly over the robes. Considering Dark Angels are more warrior monks than warrior knights now (the shift starts post-Caliban with the whole "guilt and repentence" schtick- censers, icons, etc.), using the term "surplice" seems more appropriate than "surcoat", but it is a matter of choice.

That's what I meant when I used word robes (to describe surplice that is on top of compny masters's surcoat)tongue.png It's just one model and I really can't find any other DA wearing just a surplice but no surcoat/robes. Anyway, we can just assume that "surplice" is another word for robes/surcoat in Low Gothic.

Sidenote: Dark Angels were always warrior(knight) monks, essentialy like real world Knights Templar/Hospitaller etc. Even pre Imperium "Order" was like that. In 40k Dark Angels are not warrior priest, they don't even worship the Emperor as a god, like Black Templars do - censers are just ceremonial items, not only Dark Angels SM use them. Even elite units in Ravenwing/Deathwing are "knights" so for me they are still monk-knights just as they were before (only more crazy and gothic).

Archived