Heresy Blood Angels

koran

Been a long time since I have posted here (been doing non-marine things).  But Ive always really liked the idea of a Heresy era army and with the Calth box set it finally seemed I could actually afford one.

So a box bought and Ive got a test model done for the paint scheme.  Need to work on my camera skills as the gold is not quite as "bright" as it looks in real life and the skin hasnt turned out as well as it looks in real life.  But here's the basic idea; I prefer the "orange" colour of the older Blood Angels (back in 2nd edition) so Ive gone a little lighter but with some battle damage.  I also wanted the base to look as realistic in colouring as possible for urban/rubble.

Beautiful work on the cape. I really look forward to seeing your squads. I'm seriously considering painting my Betrayal at Calth loyalist squads as Blood Angels and your miniature is a strong incentive to do so!

• 2 weeks later...

I can't add more compliments that others haven't already. Great work.

Maybe the colors on the picture don't come out because if the white balance of the camera not matching the light in the photo area? Just a suggestion. I have the same problem with non-white backgrounds.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the nice comments guys.

Ok, so its taken me a while to get anywhere on the Blood Angels (real life always seems to get in the way of hobby!) but I have got some work done on my BA Moritat.

I wanted a "swooping down" look to him so went for a (bit OTT) built up base.  The only real other modifications were making the legs wider and longer to true scale him and to change the crest on the head from sideways to front to back.

Now I need to work out if I go for red or a black colour (as with the Destroyer fluff).  Any opinions?

I really like the pose of the moritat, but maybe the base is a tad high

As for the colour, destroyer's armour is supposed to be charred from the use of rad weapons etc, so a really dark grungy dirty red might look good?

Hehe.  The base is quite high but then the first floor that he is standing on is about the right height for a guardsman.  For gaming I have him magnetised so I can put him on a smaller base if anyone wants to be an arse about it :p

Greetings all. Ive finally managed to paint something.  The first of three Graviton cannon.  The crew have been made from MkIV marines to match the majority of the rest of the army and true scaled (basically get the leg armour to look like a leg could fit inside them and straighten them.  The crew on foot is the squad leader (I know there is no difference rules wise but I thought it made sense for there to be someone in charge of the unit.

I think the NMM gold is getting a little better so happy about that but still some way to go on the steel.

Finally the marking of the unit was a bit tricky. With no real info on them without FW having released the next book.  They are in the Elite section but they feel like heavy support to me.  Also what do Elite units have as a symbol?  The Crux probably isnt in use as much or wouldnt have the same feel without havign shards of the Emperors armour in it....  After a bit of thought I went with the heavy support symbol with the addition of the suitably BA chalice.  To me that gives the sense of a heavy support unit that's been promoted to a more elite status.  I can do the same with verterans that would have once been troops or fast attack to keep the theme going throughout the army. Two more to go to complete the unit.  What do you guys think?

• 3 weeks later...

Been too long since Ive updated.  Ive been working on the Sicarian and Ive got onto the freehand.  Still working on the gold but Im getting a lot happier with it:

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m16/NeilCollins_/Blood%20Angels%20HH/WP_20160131_001_zpsongvxxxy.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m16/NeilCollins_/Blood%20Angels%20HH/WP_20160201_001_zps59joywgl.jpg

Archived