Looking to ditch RG for BA

Noxnoctis22

After about 6 months away from the game (once again) I'm looking to come back to 40k but I wanna shake things up a bit. I was thinking on coming back and giving BA a try. I've been playing RG on and off for the past few years but want to explore more on the 40k universe. So I came here for some words of wisdom.

I'm trying to see what I could do with my current RG army to turn it into a BA army. I know I'd need to add a few core BA things, unique characters and units that only BA have, I just don't know what those are at the moment. I'm getting a hold of a codex soon so I can start reading up on BA but I was hoping I could get a jump start here.

This is the list of units/models I currently have for my RG army. How much of this could be used in a BA army? What would be the first few things I should pick up to make the army more BA'ish?

HQ
Shrike
Chaplain w/Jump Pack
Librarian w/ Jump Pack or Backpack
Chapter Master/Captain w/Power Sword & Bolter

TROOPS
Tactical Squad
8x Space Marines w/Bolters
1x Space Marine w/Plasma Gun
1x Space Marine w/Melta Gun
1x Space Marine Sgt. w/Power Fist & Bolt Pistol
1x Space Marine Sgt. w/Combi-plasma

Tactical Squad

Scout Squad
8x Space Marine Scouts w/CCW & Bolt Pistols
1x Space Marine Scout w/Chainsword & Bolt Pistol
1x Space Marine Scout w/Power Axe & Bolt Pistol

Scout Squad
5x Space Marine Scouts w/Sniper Rifles
1x Space Marine Scout w/Missle Launcher

Sgt. Telion

Rhino
Rhino

ELITES
Dreadnought w/Multi-melta & Power Fist

Vanguard Veteran Squad
2x Vanguard Veterans w/Lightining Claws
2x Vanguard Veterans w/Lightining Claw & Power Fist
2x Vanguard Veterans w/Thunder Hammer & Lightining Claw
2x Vanguard Veterans w/Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield
2x Vanguard Veterans w/Relic Blade & Bolt Pistol

FAST ATTACK
Assault Squad
8x Space Marines w/Chainsword & Bolt Pistols
2x Space Marines w/Flamers
1x Space Marine w/Chainsword & Plasma Pistol
1x Space Marine Sgt. w/Power Sword & Bolt Pistol

Assault Squad

HEAVY SUPPORT
Devastator Squad
5x Space Marines w/Bolters
3x Space Marines w/Missle Launchers
2x Space Marines w/Plasma Cannons
2x Space Marines w/Lascannons

Stormraven

EXTRA
1x Space Marine w/Power Sword & Plasma Pistol, Jump Pack
1x Space Marine w/Power Sword & Bolt Pistol, Jump Pack
1x Space Marine w/Power Axe & Plasma Pistol, Jump Pack
1x Space Marine w/Power Axe & Bolt Pistol, Jump Pack
1x Space Marine w/Power Fist & Combat Shield, Jump Pack

Well, technically the change is rather minimal. Vanguard Vets are rarely played next to Sanguinary Guard and Death Company, but re-purposing them should not be much of a stretch. Same goes for turning regular Dreads into Furiosos and DC Dreads. Other than that, they are actually fairly similar. Fast and alpha strike-y. One thing you may want to consider is that your tanks are no longer useless. Having a Fast Predator makes all the difference in the world ;)

After about 6 months away from the game (once again) I'm looking to come back to 40k but I wanna shake things up a bit. I was thinking on coming back and giving BA a try. I've been playing RG on and off for the past few years but want to explore more on the 40k universe. So I came here for some words of wisdom.

I'm trying to see what I could do with my current RG army to turn it into a BA army. I know I'd need to add a few core BA things, unique characters and units that only BA have, I just don't know what those are at the moment. I'm getting a hold of a codex soon so I can start reading up on BA but I was hoping I could get a jump start here.

This is the list of units/models I currently have for my RG army. How much of this could be used in a BA army? What would be the first few things I should pick up to make the army more BA'ish?

HQ
Shrike
Chaplain w/Jump Pack
Librarian w/ Jump Pack or Backpack
Chapter Master/Captain w/Power Sword & Bolter (No generic chapter masters in our codex)

TROOPS
Tactical Squad

Tactical Squad

Scout Squad
8x Space Marine Scouts w/CCW & Bolt Pistols
1x Space Marine Scout w/Chainsword & Bolt Pistol
1x Space Marine Scout w/Power Axe & Bolt Pistol

Scout Squad
5x Space Marine Scouts w/Sniper Rifles
1x Space Marine Scout w/Missle Launcher

Sgt. Telion

Rhino
Rhino

ELITES
Dreadnought w/Multi-melta & Power Fist

Vanguard Veteran Squad
2x Vanguard Veterans w/Lightining Claws
2x Vanguard Veterans w/Lightining Claw & Power Fist
2x Vanguard Veterans w/Thunder Hammer & Lightining Claw
2x Vanguard Veterans w/Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield
2x Vanguard Veterans w/Relic Blade & Bolt Pistol

FAST ATTACK
Assault Squad

Assault Squad

HEAVY SUPPORT
Devastator Squad
5x Space Marines w/Bolters
3x Space Marines w/Missle Launchers
2x Space Marines w/Plasma Cannons
2x Space Marines w/Lascannons

Stormraven

EXTRA
1x Space Marine w/Power Sword & Plasma Pistol, Jump Pack
1x Space Marine w/Power Sword & Bolt Pistol, Jump Pack
1x Space Marine w/Power Axe & Plasma Pistol, Jump Pack
1x Space Marine w/Power Axe & Bolt Pistol, Jump Pack
1x Space Marine w/Power Fist & Combat Shield, Jump Pack

I colored the things you can use without conversion (so basicaly anything that isn't a special character).

things in red have a note after them about how they can be used.

I agree that VV are kinda meh, except if you REALLY need those storm shields or lightning claws with jump packs.

Unique BA stuff:

Get Death company. Just do. They're versitile, with 2A and rage, can have a transport or jump packs, and be kitted out for cc however you want

Sanguinary guard: artificer armour, jump pack, master-crafted (two-handed) power weapon, 2A. I personly think these guys are really cool (but they need a sanguinary priest or a librarian or dante or a combination).

Furioso Dreadnought: cool rending assault 2 template thingy, but I'm not writing a tactica. look around, I'm sure smarter people than me have written extensively about them.

Baal Predator: Assault cannons are the way to go on these (from what I've heard)

Librarian Dreadnought: I feel these are more cool than good, but they aren't bad. I've had some fun rolling on pyromancy.

Death company dreadnought: probably not so useful in the new dex. just get a furioso (note that the some kit makes any of the three unique BA dreads).

Tycho: kinda meh on the tabletop

Mephiston: mastery level 3 psyker, but he has an automatc powe so only rolls for 2. good for cc.

The Sanguinor: looks fun but meh.

Astorath: Run him with death company.

Sanguinary Priest: HQ apothecary+ (+1 WS to unit and FnP) you should have a couple.

Corbulo: Sanguinary priest+ I nrealy like this guy for the +1 WS and +1 I to his unit.

Lemartes: since he now takes a whole Elites slot and only can join a death company squad, he's not amazing, but I think he's cool.

Remember that are rhino and rhino-variant vehicles (razorback, predator, vindicator, ext.) are fast or can be upgraded to fast. Move 12" and drop a demolisher cannon blast on their heads!

Also, no vehicle squadrons. Except land speeders.

Hope some of this was helpful! FOR SANGUINIUS! FOR THE EMPEROR!

Well I'm not looking for an ultra-competitive or tournament army by any means, just something that's fun to play. I'm just trying to stretch the models I have the best I can, figured trying BA would be something new. 

Thanks for all the quick tips of the BA unique stuff. What unit/model would be the first to add to my list to make it more BA likes? 

If I were you I'd get the kauyon book instead of the BA dex and get some games in with the new RG toys, then try BA. I think this is really bad timing to quit RG, with all the love they got!

Oh I'm planning on playing with my RG toys with the new book but I'd like to try something new too. I can model/hobby up some BA as I'm toying with the new RG rules.

The new RG are potentially stronger, but they lack character compared to BA. Since they are just a sub-faction of the UM in terms of rules, they lack unique characters and the ability to play with some unique units. They are just... Marines.

I dont mean to be a dick but.. and BA aren't? They are both just marines with gimmicky rules and units.

Well I'm not looking for an ultra-competitive or tournament army by any means, just something that's fun to play. I'm just trying to stretch the models I have the best I can, figured trying BA would be something new.

Thanks for all the quick tips of the BA unique stuff. What unit/model would be the first to add to my list to make it more BA likes?

My recommendation would be:

- Death Company with jump packs, chain swords and bolt pistols, plus a fist / power weapon per 5 marines.

- Add a Chaplain to above for re-rolls To Hit, or Astorath for re-rolls To Hit and To Wound.

- Sanguinary Guard with a fist and banner for +1 attack.

- Add Dante for Hit & Run / to tank AP2, and to get AP2 attacks at Initiative.

- Also add a Sanguinary Priest with jump pack and Valour's Edge relic blade for Feel No Pain, +1 WS and more AP2 at Initiative goodness.

- Librarian Dreadnoughts are unique to us and a tough HQ if Psykers are your thing.

- Heavy Flamers are great in tactical squads as they're Assault weapons so don't restrict mobility.

- Assault Squads in free drop pods with two melta guns per 5 marines plus a combi-melta or twin Infernus pistols on the sarge.

- Combat scouts get Furious Charge and +1 Initiative on the charge in a Baal Strike Force (as do all our units)

- Fast Vindicators get a lot of love.

Archived