Bro-Crons: Could someone 'splain this to me?

Honda

I was in an Apoc game recently and one of the players showed up with the all Death Company variant of BA and also Necrons.

The justification for this abomination was that somewhere in the Wardian Heresy, BA and Crons became battle buddies to defeat the Tyranids.

1. So is that correct?

2. Is it legit that a player with the BA codex can field an all Death Company force + Necrons as battle brothers?

3. Is it campaign specific?

Thank you for your patience.

Cheers,

You cannot take Blood Angels and Necrons as Battle Brothers. They are Come the Apocalypse level allies. That said, you CAN take them together in your army. Come the Apocalypse simply means that they:

• Cannot deploy withing 12" of each other when deploying at the start of the battle
  • Must roll a dice at the start of the movement phase for every unit within 6" of a CtA unit, and on a 1 they can't do anything that turn
  • Move within 1" of a CtA unit
  • Cannot benefit from Warlord Traits
  • Cannot be joined by CtA Independent Characters
  • Are not counted as Friendly Units for the purposes of Psychic Powers and so forth
  • Cannot repair each other's units
  • Are effected by rules which affect "Enemy Units" within certain areas or ranges.

As you can see, this is quite restrictive, and rather makes sense in story.

There is an echos of war in Shield of Baal:Exterminatus where BA and Necrons count as Allies of Convenience against Tyranids. Also Word of the Silent King, a decent short story, fleshs out Wards paragraph of fluff from the BA 5th edition Codex, as well as foreshadowing the whole Shield of Baal Campaign.

There is an echos of war in Shield of Baal:Exterminatus where BA and Necrons count as Allies of Convenience against Tyranids. Also Word of the Silent King, a decent short story, fleshs out Wards paragraph of fluff from the BA 5th edition Codex, as well as foreshadowing the whole Shield of Baal Campaign.

All but the first two points in my list are in play with Allies of Convenience, too, by the by.

Posted · Hidden by Jolemai, December 10, 2015 - Antagonistic
Hidden by Jolemai, December 10, 2015 - Antagonistic

I was in an Apoc game recently and one of the players showed up with the all Death Company variant of BA and also Necrons.

The justification for this abomination was that somewhere in the Wardian Heresy, BA and Crons became battle buddies to defeat the Tyranids.

1. So is that correct?

2. Is it legit that a player with the BA codex can field an all Death Company force + Necrons as battle brothers?

Cheers,

No no no. He's an idiot.

If he used them as battle brothers (using their level of allegiance rules) then he is a cheating idiot.

He's an idiot.

1. So is that correct?

Cheers,

There is an all Death Company Formation in the Shield of Baal campaign, Strike Force Mortalis. I don't have my copy to hand but I think the restriction is you need to have a Chaplain, a DC squad, a DC Dread and a Stormraven. Then there's the Allies of Convenience thing against Nids.

So what you describe isn't complete BS but it sounds like he's stretched it a bit.

Unless that kind of thing is allowed in Apoc games and you're just asking about justification of the fluff?

1. So is that correct?

Originally created by Mat Ward for the fifth edition Codex, there is some expanded fluff for this in the Shield of Baal campaign

As mentioned earlier, it's entirely possible to field a Battleforged army consisting of Death Company and Necrons. Note that their level of allegiance remains as it is in the BRB

Other than fluff, there are no rules for creating an army like this, but again there's nothing to stop you. For Apoc, Unbound lists happen a fair bit anyway so provided he/she played by the rules then it's all fine

Cheers,

There is an all Death Company Formation in the Shield of Baal campaign, Strike Force Mortalis. I don't have my copy to hand but I think the restriction is you need to have a Chaplain, a DC squad, a DC Dread and a Stormraven. Correct

Then there's the Allies of Convenience thing against Nids. Fluff

So what you describe isn't complete BS but it sounds like he's stretched it a bit. Possibly, but we're lacking all the information.

Unless that kind of thing is allowed in Apoc games... Nothing in the Apoc rules allows for breaking the Allies Matrix. However, house ruling in encouraged, but in this instance all participants should know in advance.

and you're just asking about justification of the fluff?

It's in Shield of Baal, but it is in no way a proper playable campaign story / formation / whatever - it's just a piece of fluff. Basically Dante and Tycho get manipulated by The Silent King to act as a meat shield for their troops (even though they don't really need one). Initial plan from the Blood Angles is to organise a meet with him and then turn the whole planet to glass, but this goes sideways when it becomes apparent that the Necron ruler may have had prior contact with the primarch. It's ok as a short story, but at all points in time you are thinking why have they not killed thus guy yet?

Seems pretty thin to claim that this means one force can ally in the other as a recognised ally though.

Given the information you guys have generously provided, it seems that:

1. There is a fluff reason

2. A battle brothers relationship is not valid, they are still allies of convenience

3. We play a lot of Apoc, so I know that in theory "anything is possible", I was checking on the validity of #2 plus the buff to the reanimation protocols.

4. There were no campaign formations from the SoBaal book that supported the fluff.

Does that seem to summarize correctly?

Cheers,

Its not a formation, its just in the special rules for ONE mission that says BA and Necrons are treated as AoC that playing that one mission. They can never be treated as BB unless your house ruling.

Even trying to justify it through fluff, in Shield of Baal, the Death Company never works with the Necrons- they go in AFTER the Necrons fail; saving the day and proving that BA > Necrons. Forever.

oh yeah, spoilers, I suppose.

1) Not really. Saying there is a fluff reason is like saying Word Bearers and Ultramarines are battle brothers, as they fought together in the great crusade. Or that Eldar and Orks are allies as the eldar manipulate the orks. 

The BA and Necrons were fighting. The nids attacked, and thenthey fought the nids more than they fought each other. After the nids were dead, they decided that both armies were spent, and neither had the upper hand, so withdrew. If you want to call that "being allies"....then be my guest. More like, they both attacked the thing that was more of a threat at the same time.

2) correct. Allies rules are in the RB.

3) Fielding BA and necrons is fine in normal games, not just apoc. You have to use the ally interaction rules from the rulebook, though.

4) Correct- The fluff was that they were fighting against each other, then something else attacked them both. This is reflected in game by having a combined necron/BA army.

The BA and Necrons were fighting. The nids attacked, and thenthey fought the nids more than they fought each other. After the nids were dead, they decided that both armies were spent, and neither had the upper hand, so withdrew. If you want to call that "being allies"....then be my guest. More like, they both attacked the thing that was more of a threat at the same time.

4) Correct- The fluff was that they were fighting against each other, then something else attacked them both. This is reflected in game by having a combined necron/BA army.

I believe the Blood Angels were fighting the nids, trying to defend their shield worlds and they started losing. Then the crons turned up (because Perdita, one of the planets, is a tomb world) and realised they had to end the nids, and the only way to do so was to ally with the blood angels, which they did.

Shield of Baal Exterminatus: "...Blood Angels and Flesh Tearers set about denying the Great Devourer its prize. Into this maelstrom A NEW FOE EMERGED, woken from its slumber by the fires of war".

As for the OP, it is only in one of the missions they are allies of convenience, though if formations were used then i would be happy to allow this as it is pretty damn fluffy and an effort to collect!

A buff to reanimation protocols? :unsure::blink:

That jumped out at me too. The only buff I know of is the +1 for having a Decurion detachment from the Necron codex - nothing whatsoever to do with Blood Angels.

Mephrit Dynast Cohort (detachment, like Flesh Tearers Strike Force) allows rerolls of ones on Reanimation Protocols for troops.

Archived