Looking at some Ally Ideas.

Dont-Be-Haten

If you are running two there are arguments all around for how to equip them.

I think it could be said that:

• one going full Dakka with Battlecannon, Gattling Cannon and Krak rockets to sit back
  • the other a gallant with Sword and Fist to surge forward

Might work well, as it plays to our strengths.

Then again, it could also be better splitting the weapons between them?

But if taking a single knight it has to be Geratinus every-time. He's just too good.

He's the old dataslate, but emails and such have confirmed him as a legal choice in an IK codex.

He's basically the Cassor/ Karlean/ Raphen's DC of the codex tongue.png

Out of Likes Charlo! Thanks! yeah and honestly I've said it before, but I think 500ish points makes a great allied detachment. Thanks for the quick responses guys I do appreciate everything as always!

Edit: I do believe I want to run 2, but when I get the codex either this weekend or later next week, I will definitely write up a couple of lists for everyone to see.

Yeah, that's a fair consideration. I figure Gerantus is expensive enough that, in a PUG, I'm either sacrificing a significant amount of army, or we're playing at a point level where that sort of threat is expected. But on the other hand, I don't play PUGs very often, usually I know my opponent and their army beforehand, and we've got agreed ToEs.

Gerantius is totally fine IMO.

Like Helion said he's so expensive that his rules are pretty balanced.

Really you just need to look at a Wraith Knight and back to Gerantius to go "Yep okay he's totally fair!"

Gerantius is totally fine IMO.

Like Helion said he's so expensive that his rules are pretty balanced.

Really you just need to look at a Wraith Knight and back to Gerantius to go "Yep okay he's totally fair!"

Haha right?! But that's typically only playing against Eldar and Tau. If I'm playing against 5 knight lists at 2k it wouldn't be a problem. If I'm honest, we play larger games 1750-2200 but I do love playing smaller games such as 1250-1500

I feel like gerantus is a sorta :cuss for when you face one of the power builds. When I'm not facing one of those ill probalby just use a warden as he provides some anti-MC work for us.

Aside from that it seems like regular space marines are our best bet. For fire support we can always get a cent squad. Also with that new flyer detachment thingy we can get those new marine fighters. A shame we can integrate squads at all with that damn FAQ.

How about skitarii or ad mech? Do they bring much to the table?

My Blood Angels will be frequently allied with my Adeptus Mechanicus while I get both armies up to snuff. I think they're a great choice to pair up, since they are both strong in the other's weak areas. For example, Skitarii have phenomenal shooting options for any target (especially if you need some anti-air, look at the icarus array for Onagers, and keep in mind troop tax on a Skitarii maniple is only 110pts), they have great cheap distractions or objective grabbers or just speed bumps in the dragoons / balistarii. But they lack sturdiness (which BA have), they can sometimes lack mobility (which BA have), they lack versatile CC (which BA have). They complement each other nicely in a lot of ways.

The troop tax isn't that bad, really. Either you go Platoons for a load of cheap bodies (ObSec in a CAD or an Allied detachment), or you grab Veterans who are cheap as chips, and have decent flexibility for loadouts. And for that, you get two tank squadrons for one, or five for two.

My Blood Angels will be frequently allied with my Adeptus Mechanicus while I get both armies up to snuff. I think they're a great choice to pair up, since they are both strong in the other's weak areas. For example, Skitarii have phenomenal shooting options for any target (especially if you need some anti-air, look at the icarus array for Onagers, and keep in mind troop tax on a Skitarii maniple is only 110pts), they have great cheap distractions or objective grabbers or just speed bumps in the dragoons / balistarii. But they lack sturdiness (which BA have), they can sometimes lack mobility (which BA have), they lack versatile CC (which BA have). They complement each other nicely in a lot of ways.

Cult Mech/ Skitarii are pretty much the most synergistic thing ever for us. Pretty much every unit they have works together rather well.

We lack 5 main things in our codex of which these factions cover up nicely:

• Cheap troops - Vanguard/ Rangers
  • Anti-Flyer - Onagers/ Cognis Weapons
  • MC - Kastelan bots (who also cover our lack of massed AP3!)
  • Massed Anti-Everything firepower - Kataphrons with Grav
  • Haywire - Vanguard/ Rangers/ Kataphrons

These guys bring it all and most of it is fast enough to keep up with scout, dunestrider or otherwise. I've recently invested into these guys and will be running them where I can once I've painted them up.

The Skitarii in particular have thier rad furnace and other negative auras on the bigger ones that ensure our death company will chew through pretty much anything.

Sure we can't pod in these guys anymore but that's boring and cheesy anyway!

And to add to all that we all look smattering oh red!

The problem I've been having is setting enough points away for the allies. Is 500 points enough For allies? Maybe 1 units of vanguard with the haywire guns, 2 onager loaded for AA and a cult mech detachment with the bare essentials loaded with kataphrons and a dominus?

That seems like a lot of points maybe increase to 750?

Interesting read this thread... I have a box of Skitarii and a Knight as yet un-assembled but I'll have to make them a priority after the current queue!

I don't have the WD with Gerantius's dataslate – can you get the rules anywhere else?!

Aside from him it sounds like the shooty one compliments us best (Crusader?). I don't actually like the look of it as much as the Warden but I guess you gotta go for what works best sometimes... My knight is just the basic one (got a deal on it) so I hope I can get the bits to make one of the others...

Well I wouldn't say the shooty one is the best by any means. Losing the D is a no go in my book as we have no other way of getting it. DC are great no doubt but they can deal with superheavys and GMCS the same way the D can. I would take the chainsword over a battle cannon or a Gatling gun any day.

I believe the warden is the best for us as it gives us the high strength Low ap weapons we need as well not being a blast so no chance of landing on our guys.

Failing that make him a paladin the errant I don't find to be all that great unless you want gerantus. Who you can find the points through battle scribe and his rules from some particularly sneaky sources online. Or 1d4chan, which provides a nice summary of the beast.

Interesting read this thread... I have a box of Skitarii and a Knight as yet un-assembled but I'll have to make them a priority after the current queue!

I don't have the WD with Gerantius's dataslate – can you get the rules anywhere else?!

Aside from him it sounds like the shooty one compliments us best (Crusader?). I don't actually like the look of it as much as the Warden but I guess you gotta go for what works best sometimes... My knight is just the basic one (got a deal on it) so I hope I can get the bits to make one of the others...

A quick web search brings up the .pdf of the white dwarf Gerantius rules are in. It's white dwarf 024 I believe.

Archived