Dark angels robes

Griffsnog

What colours do you all paint your robes? I painted my death wing and PA marines black cuz I'm Ye Olde school. I was thinking if the Dangles are supposed to be monkish like Friar Tuck shouldn't their robes be brown? I know it's "my army do what I want "yadaa yadda radda". I want your guys' honest opinion though.

I use rakarth flesh, storm wyvern in the recesses, pallid witch flesh as a highlight, and I try to do ceramic white highlight over that. I'll try to post a picture

EDIT

here are some pictures of my Asmodai while he was being painted. I prefer this color more over the yellowish color of ushabti bone robes.

Optimized 20150304 205734

Optimized 20150222 204325

Optimized 20150222 204303 (1)

Fabrics tend to fade differently so I have some in rackarth flesh with mud wash and ivory drybrush highlights and some with ushtabi bone with steel legion drab wash and the ivory drybrush

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/fred40k2002/Dark%20Angels/DSCN9995.jpg

Those are all way better than the 'eavy Metals bestial brown/snakebite leather/bleached bone method. Well refreshing at least. I've used many different paints for different squads so far. I'll try to take a pic of what I've done so far once I get my minis out of the heap their case is buried under. I was just wondering what others have done. As well as if brown if anyone has done it. None of my stuff is consistent. I kind of like it like that as I can't see robes being a standard issue type thing. Keep 'em coming brothers.

I'm doing an Angels Redeemed army so I don't have to send fluff spiraling into the warp when I take them with my GK and ]I[ forces. The armour is red with black forearms and hands so I went with purple robes. No clue why I decided that, but when I was looking at my paints for the robes my hand reached out and grabbed the purple pot.

One of the bright spots in citadel's underwhelming color palate is the wide variety of paints in the continuum  of tans from dark khaki up to white.  I start with rakerth flesh and then build up lighter colors in 3-4 stages, finishing with an ushabti bone drybrush on the really high spots like where a knee is pushing the robe out.

Im wondering everytime i paint robes which colours i should use. Because im always unsure if it is really the best or easiest way.

Why not post pics of our robes and describe the painting-steps for comparison. Maybe ill see what or with what colours i could do better.

Knight-Angels-Robes:

B

Steps

1. basecoat with baneblade brown

2. wash everything with agrax earthshade

3. basecoat/highlight with cadian fleshtone

4. highlight with kiselv flesh

edit:

20150703 173257

Dark Angels robe collection

I tried out a lot of stuff for my robes.

In general they are bone white with shades of yellow ochre... or something like that. I highlight them with off-white.

First I did the shades with gryphonne sepia... till GW removed it and replaced it with something that is missing the yellow hue.

Then I tried out parchment from Secret Weapon... which was to light... than orange, yellow snow and flesh wash. I used it on some robes but more on my Terminators.

I liked these color but they give the robes a glossy shine unless you mix them with the base color.

Currently I try not to wash at all, because it leaves sometimes hard edges. I try out ScaleColor, strange consistency but it's ultra matt and good for bending. You might not even see the small holes in finecast models anymore. tongue.png

For red cloaks I use a dark red and then do a wash with leviathan purple. After it is try, I dry-brush it with the same dark red, then a bit with evil sunz scarlet red.

Green robes I paint heavy green(Vallejo), than dry-brush with goblin green(Vallejo) and a bit flash gitz yellow(GW). Then I put green ink(Vallejo) over it. It makes everything a bit shiny but reminds me of dark green velvet.wub.png

My robes vary throughout my army for various reasons. Like I forgot what i did while painting at the time, to its Dark Angels, gotta have some green somewhere on the model.

I agree with whomever said it above, robes will fade and wear differently, so they won't all look the same.

Lostrael: be careful with your coloured text. Some words disappear completely on the B&Cs vanilla white skin :D

Nice models by the way :yes:. Liking the dark red inner linings etc etc.

Cheers

I

Lostrael: be careful with your coloured text. Some words disappear completely on the B&Cs vanilla white skin biggrin.png

Nice models by the way yes.gif. Liking the dark red inner linings etc etc.

Cheers

I

Thanks and I apologize.blush.png I did't realize that there is a vanilla white skin. It was the coloring mood. I had to put color on something.

Is anyone else painting Librarian robes blue? I liked the idea from a Horus Heresy book.

Lostrael, that's a fantastic looking army. As to the topic after I have a few kits I want so that I can mix and match without building one set, being stuck with those parts and then the next set so a vicious cycle goes on. When I have all of my little bits to kitbash my company I've actually going back to Citadel paints, at least some. They will be bone but not the bone robes I painted on a few practice minis years ago. 

Now I AM contemplating doing a small squad of Fallen led by a Cypher conversion to include in my Word Bearers army. Those guys will have muddy white robes on black armor. I know what it says in stories but I find it hard to believe that after the Fallen split ways with the Lion they decided a "new look" to keep up with their hated former brothers ever happened. They'll be rocking MkIV,CSM and leftover DA loyalist bits.

Lostrael,

I am a fan of blue robes, even though I haven't done them myself. I will be using them for my successor chapter, I think it would lookg good with the dark color scheme of my power armor troops.

gallery 75567 9107 101779

I'm going for this color. (Not my mini)

I actually have a really cool conversion idea for my librarian, I just have to decide whether it'll be Tartaros/Cataphractii TDA (silver like gray knights with blue robes) or dark gray PA with blue robes, but here's the cool part. I want to give him foe smiter, and how I represent it will be a rotor gun from FW attached to his armor like servo skull would. So it will be like the gun is just floating over his shoulder, that way he can kill with his force weapon on one hand and cast his powers with his free hand.

I just saw this. Now Blood Angels are wearing robes too? First Templars try and steal our style now blood angels? Weak GW!http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/XQYAAOSwpDdVEKJH/s-l1600.jpg

@jbaeza94

This model looks great. Do you plan to model robes over the mkIII armor?

I had something like that in mind when buying a squad from Forgeworld.blush.png Great plans... unfinished models are piling up on my desk, literally.

I painted a Grey Knight Librarian for a friend recently. He got a blue robe.

What I used was a midnight blue as base and some light blue (magic blue Vallejo) for dry brushing.

Than used up my old GW asurmen blue wash to smooth the dry-brushing. I haven't tried the new blue shade from GW yet.

Finally I messed things up by applying matt varnish... which made it glossy.unsure.png

@Malakai Robes are in vogue. Would you blame them?biggrin.png

@Lostrael

I guess I should of mentioned that's not my mini Haha, it's actually an iron warrior.

But yes I do. I plan to model robes and tabard for chaplains and librarians, robes having a higher seniority. Loin cloths for Sgt. I'm just scared to use green stuff. It seems daunting, I don't want to ruin an awesome fw mini because I lack practice

Thank you for the recipe! I like your dark blue, for my librarians I used macragge blue, then a slightly lighter one,I forget what is called, then lothern blue. It looks nice but it's not a very dark blue. I like yours.

I also know what you mean about Models piling up. It started with the limited edition Skitarrius book (I like LE). I thought it was awesome, so I got the LE codex. Then I got the LE Tech Priest book and mechanicum books. This motivated me to buy the white dwarf with the war convocation formation (no cost to any upgrades!) So now i have have a whole cohort mechanicus still in the box, and enough models to finish up a nice war convocation. I got all really excited to build and play them and bought a whole gw bundle but have never even touched them! One day.

Griffsnog,how did you paint the sgt?

Lol I don't remember. I'll go through my brown and figure it out. I used a few Vallejo panzer ace colours I think.

Lies/\

I'm pretty sure it is graveyard earth then Vallejo model colour US field drab followed by bleached bone with a 50/50 mix of each in between.

@ jbaeza94

Actually I did not paint the librarian model in my previous posted picture with these colors.

I painted him shortly after dark vengeance was released and I don't remember the colors.

That's the model I did for a friend. Sorry for the glossy touch.

Blue Robes Librarian

I'm looking forward to see your models.

For the robes I tend to use milliput, because you can smooth it with water. After it dried, it will be stone hard and you can sand it.

I used it for Azraels Banner and some hoods, but I never modeled a robe... sure I will mess this up.sleep.png

Today on the battlefield I faced some of the mechanicum models. They look great wub.png but they tried to kill meblink.png

@Griffsnog

Do you plan to have lighter highlights on the dark robes? Some contrasts to catch the eyes and accentuate the details.

@Lostrael They didn't show in the picture at all unfortunately. The are highlighted subtly up to a dark gray. I didn't want to go too light because I was going for a more realistic look. I followed someone's tutorial in some long forgotten blog. I should probably go over them again and do raised areas and forego all edges except for corners. There's just too much on my work bench though. They were my first "paint something black" and attempt to do it well project.

I've been working on this since May

http://imgur.com/SwMf42b

That's an amazing paint job you have there Lostrael. That blue is simply amazing with the silver of the gray knights. You use an airbrush right?

Also I probably won't start putting my Iron Lions together until about April/may, currently out of country until then! I have a list of what I want already, and it will be my first foray into airbrushing. I'll make sure to make a thread because I will need lots of inspiration from you guys, especially for the list building

@Griffsnog

A nice ceastus assault ram, well that thing is big. I can imagine it takes ages to paint it. Took me some months to paint my land raider.

Slow and steady. tongue.png

@ jbaeza94

I don't have an airbrush, there is not enough room in my apartment.

I highlight my models with a mix of dry-brushing and layered painting...and then use wash/ink to smooth the transitions.

Archived