Messing around with Paint.net

ToyShip

First off, apologies if this should be posted in the Liber...

I've been messing around with Paint.net after seeing the awesome pieces in Nineswords' thread here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/292096-storm-sons-wip/. This is what I've come up with:

Chapter

Now, It's by no means perfect, but I really like the look so far. Any suggestions on the scheme/name? It looks sort of bare at the moment. I'm thinking these guys are warrior-mystics who worship their sun as the Emperor, and use all manner of astrological scrying to search for omens and that sort of thing. Pretty bare bones at the moment, but its an idea.

Also, I know the Serrated Sun emblem is traitor iconography, perhaps this alteration is enough to distance it from the Word Bearers?

Chapter Icon

Thanks in advance!

Double Post! Here's a couple more pics for your viewing pleasure. For the first one I went with the first picture I posted, just added some things:

Chapter 2

I think he looks a lot better with the added black splashes, as well as the variant helm. These guys need a name. 

Next, I got to thinking at work about the Warhounds' iconography, and I always thought It'd be cool on non-unification era Astartes. Take a looksee:

Hounds Of Demos

GW even has the perfect name for his chapter, the Hounds of Demos!

++++

I've also begun fleshing out ideas for the Sun-worshipers. Trying to get kind of a Mesopotamian feel going, so I've done some research into Shamash and various other deities of the sun.

Here's some notes so far:

“Just as the Sun disperses darkness, so the Emperor brings wrong and injustice to light.”

Ebarra Primus, Homeworld.

It is widely believed by Imperial Scholars that the Ebarran System was brought to Imperial Compliance during the Great Crusade, though by which Legion or Expedition is unknown. Ebarran religious texts speak of “grey angels, descending from the sun” in their creation myths. 

Ebarra Primus is a world of vast deserts and lush river deltas. Culture ranges from nomads in the desert to the agricultural city-states of the river deltas. Religion permeates day to day life.

Fortress Monastery is an Ancient Starfort in near-orbit around the Ebarran sun. Ancient void shielding protects the Fort from immolation in the star's radiation.

The people of Ebarra Primus are a pre-industrial Oligarchy, ruled by a caste of sun priests. Sun-scrying  and astrology are of great importance to their culture. The Priests teach that the sun is carried into the sky each day by the Emperor aboard a great barque, and at night He travels through the underworld, fighting a great Serpent before dawn each morning. (It can be assumed that this is a de-evolution of the historical fight between the Emperor and Horus.) Light versus darkness is a major theme in the Ebarran heliocentrist belief system. The Astartes of the chapter have a very “Black and White” worldview, with no tolerance for grey area.

++++

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated. Models will come once I have worked out some kinks in the fluff and scheme. If this needs to go to the Liber before that happens, I'd totally understand. 

Archived