Blood Angels Terminator Armor Captain (Looking for opinions)

BrainFireBob

Or depending on your regular opponents, just take a power mace instead. It's better in every situation except on the turn you charge something with a 3+ armour save. Against a target with a 2+ armour save you'll want to use the Valour's Edge anyway in either situation, and against vehicles and anything with a 4+ save or worse a power mace nets you an extra Strength and the Concussive rule.

And if you rock the mace + Valour's Edge, you can still use Valour's Edge against 3+ save targets, where you only lose 1 Strength compared to Edge + lance.

Or depending on your regular opponents, just take a power mace instead. It's better in every situation except on the turn you charge something with a 3+ armour save. Against a target with a 2+ armour save you'll want to use the Valour's Edge anyway in either situation, and against vehicles and anything with a 4+ save or worse a power mace nets you an extra Strength and the Concussive rule.

And if you rock the mace + Valour's Edge, you can still use Valour's Edge against 3+ save targets, where you only lose 1 Strength compared to Edge + lance.

If you are relying on that +1S extra to crack open a vehicle you are doing something terribly wrong.  Otherwise, when was the last time that the extra +1S of the Power Maul netted an extra wound on a 4+ model?  They are almost all T3/T4 and either loadout wounds them on a 2+.  The lance is not worse off in any situation except where neither the maul is particularly useful, but in scenarios where both would work the lance just works better in every case.

I just can't see the attraction of a Lance personally and I agree with redemption (unless we are talking that white scar relic. Hoo boy!)

Mace and Valours is powerful, as you are either S5ap2 or S7ap4 on the charge. Plus it looks baller too! For the sake of charging to get ap3, you may aswell just use Valours edge.

I suppose it's all personal preference and meta dependant though, we're all right!

If you are relying on that +1S extra to crack open a vehicle you are doing something terribly wrong.

It's not a dedicated anti-vehicle weapon by any measure, of course. But S7 against rear armour AV10 with a decent number of attacks isn't completely terrible if you really need something wrecked and lack other options nearby.

Otherwise, when was the last time that the extra +1S of the Power Maul netted an extra wound on a 4+ model?  They are almost all T3/T4 and either loadout wounds them on a 2+. The lance is not worse off in any situation except where neither the maul is particularly useful, but in scenarios where both would work the lance just works better in every case.

In basically any situation where you aren't getting the charge bonus; any subsequent rounds of combat or when you're being charged yourself. A power mace then wounds on 2+ and has Concussive, where the other weapons only wound on a 4+. That's a decent enough difference I'd say.

As I said, there's only 1 specific situation where the lance is better: Charging a model that has a 3+ armour save and no decent invulnerable save, and even then it only increases the To-Wound roll by 1 step over the Valour's Edge. In literally every other situation either the mace or Valour's Edge is better. Now, if you weren't already lugging around the Valour's Edge anyway, I'd say that having a lance is nice, but otherwise I feel the mace allows your Captain more flexibility to take on a bigger range of targets with confidence.

But yeah, of course it mostly depends on personal preference and your local meta. Are you facing pretty much nothing put power armour? The lance then will be a little better. Are you more often facing things like Orks, Tau, (Dark) Eldar, Tyranids, Daemons, massed vehicles, etc etc? I'd go for the mace myself. Not to mention that it's more easy to get the bit for one.

Archived