The Long War Ravenwing Batrep

SnakeChisler

Came across this at Bell of Lost Souls

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/12/the-unforgiven-ride-tyranids-vs-dark-angels.html

Really nice looking army well played

Couple of comments

He forgot the Ravenshield rule for overwatch with the speeder formation

I'd have taken Divination as at least 1 power to try twin link the speeders given the amount of stuff that was flying and unless I rolled ignores cover or the Invun one, I'd have taken the 2nd as Mind Worm given the amount of FMC's

Keeping the video on mute improves it drastically. Sadly playing a mission which requires no movement , is a lot less interesting. I thought the best thing was the central terrain piece on top of the rock.

We've not played straight missions in quite a few years the Comp circuit though hasn't embraced Maelstrom every time I hear something from frontline gaming and comment from some of the LW guys there pretty scathing about it which is a shame.

I tried to watch this but honestly its hard when EVERYTHING has to be icy, fresh or pro. You're nerds pushing plastic soldiers across a table, you dont need to try to look tough or cool...

Why would their local dialect be regarded as annoying, tough or cool?

Why is everyone who plays with soldiers classed as a Nerd?

40K is a board game plus and has a range of social types playing the guys at the Long War seem more Art types rather than being Nerdy.

while i agree that 40k plays host to a variety of social types the long war is a really awful place to be getting battle reports from if you ask me. their overly competitive in places running the most competitive forms of armies they can and hiding it behind nice paintjobs and kitbashes. i dont deny that some players take genuine pride in their game on that show and on the tables, not taking that away from them. but i feel that they think being the best on the table isnt about actually being a better player its about abusing rules and formations packagaes to get the most consistently broken list you can.

Thats toxic to this hobby and nobody enjoys playing against people like that, i know i endured it for weeks back in 6th edition when my only opponents were an eldar players spamming wave serpents against my barely functional dark angels army, and an imperial guard player who continually took advantage of my inexperience and timid nature to list tailor in front of me totally devoid of shame when my army was finally coming together(he would literally bring down giant storage tubs of models down to play and then cherry pick his models there n then rendering my list as useless as possible).

its intimidating to new players and gives a bad impression of how 40k should be (im aware thats how it sometimes is under certain circles and in certain regions but that is another matter for another discussion)

Ok, fair points. I should context my labeling of nerds by saying I am and have been proud to be a nerd for 35 years. Come on, we're painting little dudes to play a game with a 200+ page rulebook... its a bit nerdy. As to the video I just don't enjoy their vernacular but that is totally a personal taste issue and is only my personal opinion.

Thanks for posting the link SnakeChisler. I've not heard of the Long War before so I might check out a few of their batreps.

No hardship for me to gen up on some rules abuses or broken armies eh ;). Could be useful <_<.

Cheers

I

I didn't check the link, but wanted to mention that the guy who plays Ravenwing is a member here at the BnC and has posted up batreps at the Long war before.

They have a certain approach to the game that is going to be controversial. I'm somewhere in between. I enjoy 'thematic' games and I equally enjoy very 'competitive' games. I play with a few different groups including pick ups at the store and I truly believe variety is the key. The more closed or private your gaming group is, usually I find the views can be very rigid.

So I make a habit of playing people from both extremes and as long as I know before hand it's all fun for me. I'll play anything... you want to do a fluffy Chaos list? fine. You want to take Invis-superfriends? I'm equally fine with it.

I just played a guy using 18 wraiths in a 1850 point list. Was one of the funner / nasty games I've had in weeks. Great guy... the player made it a great game.

As far as Frontline... yea I hate their 'poo-pooing' on Maelstrom too. Maelstrom reinvented 40K for me personally and I have little desire to play the other mission set. We basically have ONE houserule at some places: If you draw an objective you could never accomplish (IE : Kill a Flyer, and I never started the game with any) then you get a free discard. That one small tweak has changed things immensely. 

I do like that Frontline has taken the initiative in cleaning up somethings that GW just will never FAQ. But that's a whole other topic!

Anyway, maybe the owner of the Ravenwing army will see this post and pop in and say hi. (To my recollection he has a small post count but does linger.)

It would be cool to hear his input and its always a good idea to study tge cheese mongers so you dont get blindsided at a tourney. I scout the nearby shop to see whose a regular and what they bring to the table just so i know whose the cheeser and whose the casual player. Thats just me though to each his own :)

Archived