MiniaturePainter's Blood Raven Blog

I'm starting this works in progress blog here so hopefully I can't get myself inspired by replies to keep moving forward.  A little about me.  I live in Southern California and frequent both the Larwin Square GW store and the famous Brookhurst Hobbies store.  Since my introduction to the 40k universe back in 1999 I told myself, wow I can lump both my love for (at the time) RTS computer games and painting models.

The time I got into 40k, it was during the 3rd edition, and when I received my tax return I made way to a mom and pop game store in Oregon.  I was living there at that time, but right now I'm back in Orange California.  Anyway, I took about $300 and bought a plethora of 40k models along with the boxed game that came with Space Marines and Dark Eldar.  And yes, at that time, $300 could buy you a complete army and have enough left over for dinner at McDonalds. Lol.  Blood Ravens did not exist at that time so I chose Ultramarines.  Then I started assembly and painting my models.  I became friends with the store at the place I bought the models and he invited me to his garage which had two tables, and I started learning how to play with him and his friends.  After a few visits and games, the game club heard about a 40k tournament that was being held in the next town over, Corvallis.  We attended the tournament and I was playing with a half painted army.  I played 2 games, won both and was waiting for the rest of the tournament to finish their current games so we could move onto the next round.  In our game club, I was the last player that was able to move onto the 3rd round.  I was having a blast! But the rest of the guys wanted to return home since they were all eliminated.  I had to return home, majority rules and unfortunately we carpooled to Corvallis to play.

Not long after, the owner of the store made his decision to go ahead and close his store due to financial problems and I had no where else to play.  It was like living in a desert with no hobby stores to play the game with other people.  My only choice was to find online communities like the Bolter and Chainsword and actually this was the only forum I joined, and I also made new friends in Corvallis, but the trek to and fro just to play games twice a week would cost too much.  BUT a few people I played with or people stopped to look at my half painted army liked what they saw and asked me if I was available to paint for them.  I said sure! Why not?!  I got their numbers and started working on commission painting.  And since then that's all I've been doing.  With every new edition to 40k came out, I've been wanting to play, but like I said, had no place to do so.  So I kept painting for other people, sending completed models in the mail back to Corvallis and a few people that lived in Washington from word of mouth, friends of friends.

Time moved on and I found myself moving back to Orange California.  Now I have all kinds of places I could play the game.  6th edition was out then and I was eager to get back into it.  Now it's the 7th ed.  I went and bought the 3 book ruleset and recently the new space marine codex.  I was back to playing RTS games such as Dawn of War and it's sequel.  I was also undecided on which army to field. So my love of the DoW games made my decision for me.  Blood Ravens!

So right now I've stopped painting for others and now I'm working on my models. Here are a few WIP shots of what I've been painting.  Recently they changed their paint line and I have been trying to interpret the new formula, the new line of paint seems to be a bit more oily, even though they are acrylic.  But anyway, onto the pictures.  In my gallery you could see a speed painted blood raven tactical marine as a test for the new colors and I was unimpressed with the way it came out. I chose Mephiston Red as my new base color and using the older line to highlight them.

Here we go.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-PuNdJcELvOA/VbBmPMFQKBI/AAAAAAAAAOM/ZRTCk88Lpn0/s640/2015-04-26%2B18.37.01.jpg

Assembled, washed and based with PVA and sand, using poster tac to cover the bits where the guns would go.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-COb_2o1IKic/VbBmGLIWZ6I/AAAAAAAAAN0/Z9xU78QDxM4/s640/2015-06-03%2B07.31.56.jpg

The colors chosen for my scheme.  Mixing old and new paints.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-9_82hUZq7l4/VbBmP26-_hI/AAAAAAAAAOg/v6m1gig22Cc/s640/2015-05-05%2B10.42.00.jpg

Airbrushed base colors, the ugly stage.  They may look like crap but after you start pin washing and highlights, you know....

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ehTrGmE4s_0/VbBmEIIYaII/AAAAAAAAANs/9Nmi-TadeX4/s640/2015-05-27%2B20.17.54.jpg

Almost done with color blocking and pin washing.  Haven't chose the color I'd use for their bases.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-D_zEXJNFiMo/VbBmOCO5-rI/AAAAAAAAAOE/L6DHmyfDlYM/s640/2015-06-14%2B11.03.33.jpg

The colors chosen for the bases, you can see them in the corner.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-6l8SgOS6ju0/VbBmQAC8MbI/AAAAAAAAAOk/yUkPP9OkVi8/s640/2015-06-14%2B11.04.45.jpg

Done and changed the way I'd paint purity seals, if you'd read the 'Eavy Metal book that came out awhile back I wanted to use the recipe for tabards and purity seals used on the Chaos Demon, but not happy with the way it was turning out.

Then the 32 base came out and the resetting the models from the store to the new size, so...I bought a ton of 32mm bases and currently working on replacing the bases.  I also have these guys in the 'dip' to strip them.  I don't like touching models and the way I go across placing them on their bases would require them to be touched so may as well repaint them.

I'm having a blast.  Right now I'm painting a demi company with full 10 man tactical squads.  I haven't yet primered the 30 marines, I've just assembled them and placed them on their bases.  I'm going to start painting them as soon as I have (started an allied detachment) completed assembly of a Stern Guard unit. 35 guys to paint, and it won't take me long.

More to come and please, C&C is and will be appreciated.  Thanks for the long and boring read!
MP 

OK trying to post from the phone... But I'm trying to post something everyday to keep me motivated. As it goes at the moment I'm assembling the last of the space marines Stern guard kit. After I'm done I'll start washing, basing with sand and then painting them. Guess I can't post a photo from my phone so, here comes the edit!

Another edit: The last guy will be a heavy flamer, I'm building him now, then I'm going to add the little waist items, ammo belts and whatnot.  Then on to washing 35 marines, let them dry overnight, finally sand the base and prime.

2015-12-16%25252011.44.50.jpg

Blood Ravens are fun, i'm hoping to see more from your army happy.png

Really looking forward to see this army come together..

Hey before summer hit I ordered 2 sheets from Forge World, I would have done the inkjet decals but I couldn't figure it out for the life of me.

Okay guys sorry for the delay in posting, but yesterday and today I've been a bit busy.  Today I received a gift from my father, a space marine devastator squad!  I'm excited to finally have it.  I have 35 guys ready to start painting, but I am going to go ahead and assemble the squad I just got.  Then I'll start painting.  Also, I messed uped my last Sternguard guy so I'm just gonna go ahead and give them all bolters, and when I play I think I could make way with switching out ammunition when it's needed.  To keep the cost low, so that I could add a razorback tank to the squad, they'll all have bolters.  What do you think? Sound tactical maneuver? 

Also, I have my force commander, the guy who has the battle axe, and a nice jump pack, you know the finecast guy.  He will be accompanied with a Vanguard Veteran squad, since I'm taking bikers instead of an assault squad in my demi company. I am including a picture of the unboxing, I'm so excited!  And I'm going to just give them all missile launchers so that I can split fire, if I read the rules right, if the squad has all the same weapon they can use the splitfire ruling. I think thats cool! The last i read or played, the only squad in the space marines legacy were the long fangs from the space wolves chapter.

What do you think?

Sincerely 

MP

2015-12-18%25252016.52.33.jpg

Alright here we go!  I normally shy away from using cork for bases, but since they are elites and I was thinking, oh hell, why not right?  What do you guys/gals think?  I won't be doing this to my entire army, just those that are elite and maybe HQ choices.  Your thoughts?
The Elites or whatnot I will be cork boarding are.

1. Stern Guard, Vanguard Veterans, Terminators, HQ choices, and maybe bikers. Cause it would look cool, Lol....

Anyway, I'll post another picture showing them 'standing' on the cork, It just looks so cool with the drybrushed cork along with the sand.  Oh that reminds me, I'll be using the Vallejo Pumice instead of regular sand.  I haven't tried it out, I've also watched a youtube video of  a guy who uses CA glue mixed with baking powder, I tried it and didn't like the results.  Anyay... thanks for your input.

MPhttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/-SLsd41sChhg/VnS9kl5U7DI/AAAAAAAAAWg/0FzLadqfA1Q/s1600/2015-12-18%2B17.50.57.jpg

For some reason it wouldn't let me add a caption or description so I'll just put it here.  I think I'll go with the corkboard, even though its been beaten to death by miniature painters. But my army will be placed in a urban setting and I think it'll look great as slabs of concrete here and there.  Sorry for the glue getting in the way of the shot, but it'll dry clear.  So I'm off to finish this last guy, and then call it a night, dead tired.  Tomorrow I'll finish the waist ammo packs lol.  Then wash, then prime and paint!  I'll be painting these guys by hand! Have a great night everyone.
MP

Random thought before closing out for the night, I've been thinking about attaching a flag pole to the fifth marine in each tactical squad only for the aesthetics of, this would be a Lieutenant or whatever, you know what I mean.  And it would look nice, him being the leader of the 5 man combat squad. See, breaking up a 10 man squad I thought it would be cool to do this.  Aesthetics I tell yea!  Sternguard are about done, need to pole the bare heads, and finish two more bases with cork and random bits from an old basing kit from GW.  Small pieces of slate, maybe a few of the low to the ground cantina's, broken livery from other chapters.... It's gonna be a lot of fun!  Also need to pole the Sternguard for seperate painting from the bases.  That is all!

Cool stuff! Don't see many Blood Revens (intentional typo) on the tabletop. They're practically heretics anyway tongue.png.

Did they ever get their own chapter tactics?

Nope, but here's my plan. Since they're kinda secretive like the dark angels... "knowledge is power, guard it well" and the recent stuff that happened in dawn of war 2. Half the chapter falling to chaos, etcetera. So, I plan on using Ultramarine chapter tactics or any other depending on what I'll be fielding, and also using the Dark angels rules. I love the green wing and you don't ever see them being played. I have a plethora of Dark Angel livery and whatnot from past commission painting, like the older Raven Wing box set, that kit comes with sooo many ravenwing upgrade sprues. Not only do they come with Dark Angel bits, but stuff for Dreadnoughts, tanks and whatever but, right now I'm focusing on Blood Ravens. I've ordered and received 2 transfer sheets from Forge World.

Thanks for the comments!

MP

PS: Venomlust, I've gone over your blog sir, I'm adding it to my list on the right of must see blogs. Kudos!

Thanks! I'm trying to start getting stuff finished, so hopefully I'll have stuff to share soon. I'm also in Southern California, by the way, living in the San Fernando Valley.

Are you on facebook? We have a small group called Warhammer 40k Hobbyist of Southern California,  I'm a mod, so if you want to, send a request.

Thanks! I'm trying to start getting stuff finished, so hopefully I'll have stuff to share soon. I'm also in Southern California, by the way, living in the San Fernando Valley.

Are you on facebook? We have a small group called Warhammer 40k Hobbyist of Southern California, I'm a mod, so if you want to, send a request.

I just joined Facebook, so I'll give that a shot.

Edit: not finding it via search. Could I possibly get a link?

OK, sorry for the belated post. But I've been juggling a few things over here, missing cat, star wars and life in general. I thought about using cork for the bases, but decided against it, I wasn't satisfied with what I was seeing. So here's an image, waiting for the CA glue to cure fully before I run these guys through a warm wash. I wash each sprue before working on a kit and right before I base them with sand and mounting them on old citadel pots to start the painting process. Yeah I've been told that washing them an extra time before primer and painting them, but my argument is this "Do you have a smart phone? Even though your hands feel dry and clean, take a look at your phone's screen." Lol.

Anyway, since it's pretty cold right now I'm gonna blow them with a hairdryer for a few seconds and give them an hour before washing them, don't know how long it'll take them to dry, but patience is a big part of this hobby. biggrin.png

While I wait, I have to call the local lost and found for pets, and fiddle with the new devastator squad I mentioned above. Happy painting guys and Merry Christmas.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ETsw4RUgZcc/VnlefLRJhSI/AAAAAAAAAYw/cAXCQE5e9bU/s1600/2015-12-16%2B11.44.50.jpg

Are you on facebook? We have a small group called Warhammer 40k Hobbyist of Southern California, I'm a mod, so if you want to, send a request.

I just joined Facebook, so I'll give that a shot.

Edit: not finding it via search. Could I possibly get a link?

Here you are.  Link.https://www.facebook.com/groups/40khobbyistofSoCal/

Archived