MiniaturePainter's Blood Raven Blog

Since I received the devastator squad from my father for xmas (Thanks Pop!), I started fiddling with them and I decided to go ahead and build all the marines for the demi company before I start painting.  And I'm just about done, and again I told myself I'd post every day with progression.  So, I have one last picture and one more marine to build then I'm off to the kitchen to wash, mount and paint.  Another thing, I told myself I'd never use the sort of new texture paints for bases.  But, when I watched the new advent calendar by WarhammerTV on urban basing, I think I'm going to go ahead and do it

Here is the picture of the devastator squad minus the last marine I'm about to build.  Cheers and Happy Hobbying!

MP

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-OpUNlX3eWWk/VnqFWMBMFSI/AAAAAAAAAZA/bEcvFkvTIA4/s1600/2015-12-22%2B18.16.52.jpg

Here's a short tutorial on how I mount my marines or miniatures on bases before basing and painting them.  I really don't like the 'sunk in' look when you add either sand or texture paint (vallejo pumice, sand, or citadel texture paint).  To combat this look, unless this is what you're looking for, like standing in mud, this is how I go about it.

Picture 1.

I cut a sliver of plasticard to match the feet of a marine, then using plastic cement, I add them to the bottom of each foot.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-a0QcG_qJutI/VnqHmFgdrYI/AAAAAAAAAZM/o5QagLn4pnU/s1600/plasticard1.jpg

Picture 2.

Here you can see the miniature standing on the base, and is a few millimeters above the base, enough space to keep the miniature from looking sunk into the terrain or whatever you want to call it.  I hope this helps you.  At first I tried cutting bits of sprue like those little round corners off the ends of each sprue, but that was taking too long.  So I thought, why not plasticard!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-6Nvrk9B_HJs/VnqIBF4gxxI/AAAAAAAAAZU/Oa-baa60olo/s1600/plasticard2.jpg

Enjoy and Happy Hobbying!
MP

I actually dislike this method - I've seen it done on 25mm bases as well, it usually leads to marines that look like they are floating, or don't have weight. Personally, I think a walking tank would sink slightly into even concrete..

That's totally fine. To be honest I actually concur sir, and since the space marine being 8 feet tall, weighing in heavy (According to the Deathwatch core rulebook (page 28), while wearing power armour a Marine weighs between 500-1,000 kilograms, or 1,100-2,200 pounds) and since my basing is urban rubble, after applying sand or texture paint there is a slight sink it's not much, but doable in my eyes. I've done sand/mud bases for someone and used vallejo pumice and it was great. Back to the point, the rubble, being stepping onto rocks and destroyed buildings and whatnot, the 'sinking' in is curtailed a bit. So yes, I can never totally escape the sink, but I see and agree with your point.

Now, onto what happened last night. I got one tactical squad ready, adding bits of slate to the bases. I love multi meltas and I searched and searched and I couldn't find the ones I had set aside for the tac squads. So, I'm going with plasma cannons, I had set aside these plasma cannons for a dark angels army, but I'm just going to use them since I can't find the others I was looking for. I also spent the remainder of the night drilling out bolter holes. I was successful with no mishaps. I'm going to finish the other 2 right now and get one tac squad ready to paint! So look for the next to be a painting post! I can't wait.

Edit: I just noticed there's a space marine in this picture, I guess he photobombed my picture... dirty rat. Lol.whoops.gif

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tXdTx4TzJFg/Vnv1thRcPOI/AAAAAAAAAZk/YLklc0j50Js/s1600/2015-12-24%2B05.37.33.jpg

Merry Christmas all. I'm going to go see Star Wars for the second time this morning with my friend of 32 years (I'm 41) so, after that's done, I don't know if I'll come home immediately afterwards since it's Christmas and all. So far I've received nothing lol, but friends and family know I love my hobby and here's hoping someone gifts my poor ass a giftcard to my favorite hobby store, Brookhurst Hobbies.

Reading the deathwatch snippet about the space marine weighing a ton, just think about the heavy weapon guys. That's the weight of a car! It blows my mind really. jawdrop.gif

I hope I'm able to come home after Star Wars, but my best friends wife just texted me that she's been up cooking tamales! Orale! Anyway...

Merry Christmas true believers!

MP

EDIT: I also found this thread a year or so ago about BKZer0's Blood Raven WIP thread. Link, it's inspirational to me

Archived