Ravenwing HQ choice: Librarian or Techmarine?

Syphid

I'm trying to decide on which HQ to take with my Ravenwing army:

Techmarine with bike, servo-harness, and conversion field

or

Librarian with bike, conversion field, and Level 2 mastery.

Both cost the same.  Techmarine has better saves, shooting and melee, and can increase cover save and repair my speeders.  Librarian has Force Sword, Pyschic Hood, and Interromancy.

Recommendations?

I agree with the revered Chaplain on this one. Our psychic discipline is full of win. Aversion is one of, if not the best power in a stand alone discipline, and everything has a use in almost every game.

Chances are your speeders won't survive long enough to get the techmarine in contact before they die unless you are very good with squad rotation.

The list is for a local tournament and I know there is at least one double heldrake list.  I'm still working on my list, but my plan right now is a Ravenwing Detachment with Support Squadron and Silence Squadron at 2000pts.  The HQ would ride with a RWCS.

If you don't mind splitting your powers and taking 1 in divination for prescience, then the support squad could easily handle one of those heldrakes on entry if loaded with typhoons and a vengeance.

Also, the heldrake should be able to position itself so the techmarine isn't tanking the wounds. Something worth considering is making sure the rwcs is in combat the turn the heldrakes come in so they can't flame you to pieces.

If your worried about ignore cover weapons and your feeling dirty You might consider allying in a codex Space marine chapter master with shield eternal to tank any ignore cover and let your ravenwing look out sir everything else

Or you can bring along Azrael and protect the whole squad :)

Azrael with bikes?

I wasn't aware he ran THAT fast :lol:

Personnaly, I rather see the tech as the cheap choice : I wouldn't give him any servo harness and just the bike to make a cheap HQ in order to field a flyer and a BK squad along with my Lion'sblade

If it's really to play a RW force I'd rather take one (or 2) librarian... Interromancy is just too fun to get rid of it (and actually can protect from hell turkey much better if you get the spell that force your opponents to snap shots ;) )

Or you can bring along Azrael and protect the whole squad smile.png

Azrael with bikes?

I wasn't aware he ran THAT fast laugh.png

Personnaly, I rather see the tech as the cheap choice : I wouldn't give him any servo harness and just the bike to make a cheap HQ in order to field a flyer and a BK squad along with my Lion'sblade

If it's really to play a RW force I'd rather take one (or 2) librarian... Interromancy is just too fun to get rid of it (and actually can protect from hell turkey much better if you get the spell that force your opponents to snap shots msn-wink.gif )

the ability to give him rapid maneuver can help mitigate the difference between his walking and the bikes normal speed, hes still too slow though, oh how i wish azreal could take a jump pack he could actually have synergy. it would make sense too azreal is the jump pack hq in the army with a bike guy and a terminator guy and a power armour guy already

what does azreal have? his shield which isnt a gimmick to synergy with its a gimmick to use as utility

I use him (and Ezekiel) with the RW command squad on a regular basis. I even did so with the 6th edition book.

The abilities they provide are big multipliers, and I like the versatile deathstar unit they make.

The addition of some 2+ armor tanks, tons of wounds added to the unit, invulnerable save for survival in melee, and high initiative power weapon all provide things the unit needs.

I haven't found his speed being a problem is maelstrom missions. I deploy.my objectives to clump them as close together as possible. Hit & Run and a condensed objective area makes them play just fine.

I tried the unit combo after DarkAngelDentist suggested it a long while back, and I've adapted it and use it in almost every game. I frequently play with a combined arms detachment to build that way, but it can be done with lion's blade and ravenwing strike force, or even unbound.

I find I don't really use the turbo boost feature of the RW strike force, and azrael picks his warlord trait (usually fnp for the squad) so you don't lose much going unbound.

Paired up with the librarian conclave, the deathstar gets really expensive, but I've never seen it lose, even to other deathstars.

Not saying to build that way, but this book really is about the subtle synergies stacking into a powerhouse, so it's worth mentioning some that work for me :)

If you took Azrael in a drop pod. would his Deathwing ability be conferred to the drop pod so that you could have him touch down wherever you wanted within 12" of a RWAS unit? It would save him running around for the whole game if he's keeping up with a RWCS. I'm just wondering what the interpretation/intention/RAW of a Venerable Dreadnought in a pod is, which is the same situation.

Archived