I'm back

Alastor

Greetings fellow battle brothers,

After a long slumber in stasis, I have returned to my duties in the interrogation rooms on the ROCK. Marrage, two kids, and a promotion at work can put some things on hold for a while. Looks like I see a few familiar names still. Chaplain Lucifer, Grand Master Belial, Isiah, Master Avoghai, Toddias, and of course The Shadow Guard, nice to see you guys are still active on the forums.

I have found a good group of gamers in my area that get together and play RPG's, Board Games, and X-wing. I figured that if they liked x-wing I could get them into 40K. Well it didn't take long, and I think they are now hooked (evil maniacal laughter) We started playing 5th ED (last edition I got to play) to make sure they were into it and would stick with it. I think it is safe to say they are. So we have decided at the begining of the year we would ditch the old rules and jump into 7th ED and start playing the game in its current form. So, needless to say i have a lot of catching up to do. There is a lot of changes between 5th and 7th.

I just got my hands on the 7th ED codex and rule book a few weeks back. I also started lurking around these hallowed grounds to get an idea of what works and what doesn't in the newest edition. I picked up 2 boxes of Deathwing Command/Knights squads to finish out my Deathwing (4 squads already built and painted) But I am noticing on the forums that our 1st company brothers are not getting a lot of love. What has changed? They seem cheaper and didn't lose out on any abilities that I can see.

However, I do see that the Ravenwing is now a much more viable army to play. This makes me happy as it was the next part of my army I was going to be working on. I have been sitting on 3 Ravenwing battle Force boxes for the past 8 1/2 years. I have watched a few Batreps with our oys in Black and they seem to have gotten the love they deserve from GW. I am finishing up a 1750 pt list that I will post soon.

Any tips for an old-timer getting back in the game?

Others' experiences may differ from mine, but the three things that have really made deathwing tricky to play are:

1. It's really easy to kill them. Basic troops in most armies have become significantly cheaper, meaning its easier to take terminators out through sheer weight of fire. Additionally, grav spam, D weapons and easy access to AP 2 have made it super easy to kill your guys, and the land raiders they came in

2. Maelstrom. 7th ed introduced progressive objectives, which really favour highly mobile armies. This makes playing a small, slow army like deathwing challenging.

3. Our new 7th ed codex made it almost impossible to field a pure deathwing army - that's why you don't see many of those around the place.

Ravenwing is absolutely recommended. Since I started Dark Angels back in 4th it was only ever about terminators for me, but with the new codex I decided to give ravenwing a try and I haven't looked back - they are absolutely stellar.

Thanks for the feedback WeepingAngel, so it's not so much that our Termmies have changes, its more the game has evolved and pushed their survivablity way down. Which less face it was what they had going for them the most.

Thanks for the feedback WeepingAngel, so it's not so much that our Termmies have changes, its more the game has evolved and pushed their survivablity way down. Which less face it was what they had going for them the most.

very and then it didnt help that they took away their turn 1 deepstrike, and our banners of a thousand gimmicks, and then they gave us the worst marine air to air fighter, and then they shot out our legs from under us by messing with our unique wargear (power field generator) and with azreal (so much anti-synergy with marines or poor synergy).

also be aware that there is a new vehicle that isnt in the codex. may i present to you the hawt combo you need to hit up ebay to buy, this isnt limited run or a specialty product. its just that GW only sells it at home in england which is so messed up.

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/image-48.jpg

its an HQ choice it costs 400 points and its really really cool (i think, as an owner of one set myself)

also hello im a new addition to the forum as of late 6th edition which only lasted 2 years as a rules edition because it was so awful

Yep that's a pretty fair assessment. Objectively terminators are probably better in the new codex (despite losing t1 deep strike and a few other goodies). The problem is that the game has evolved around them in such a way that it puts them in a tougher position.

But the challenge just makes it more fun, right!? ;)

Edit: double post removed

Welcome back to the fold.

This is a nice edition to play and the 7th Ed. DA Codex is a very nice one for a change. Just make sure you play maelstrom missions because they give you a better fighting chance even if your army isn't as good as your opponent's.  Plus with the data cards you get practically a new game every time so you don't get bored so quick like in 5th Ed. with 3 deploys and 3 style of missions.

Have fun, and drop here any questions you have.. we're here to help!

Nice to see you back again Alastor. It's good you still have an interest in the Deathwing - but as others have said - beware of their limitations knowadays <_<.

There are some neat DW formations to utilise but you are always restricted to arriving by deep strike. Which I guess, while being fluffy, isn't always the preferred option.

Remember, DW squads in formations can only appear on T2 at the earliest - you auto-lose if you don't have a unit on the table at the end of T1. This also causes issues.

Due to many changes in GW rule writing, if you want to field them as a pure Deathwing army then you only have the Unbound route open to you now as Belial and Azrael no longer confer Troop status upon Deathwing squads.

All in all, DW formations aren't bad in themselves and offer some neat special rules. But, you can never field them as you once did.

The best way to field DA is pretty much to take a bit of everything. There are some very cool formations etc that you can mix-n-match, that offer you great synergy across your army, confer neat special rules, and more importantly allow you to have a great deal of fun.

In truth, Ravenwing are now the hottest boys on the block :)

Cheers

I

Basically solo wings are out and using mixwing is promoted heavily through use of formations.

You can still run solo greenwing, or ravenwing, or deathwing but through rule interaction and synergy created by formations you gain a lot of perks to using mixwing.

I haven't played since 5th edition, but this edition of the game seems to be cooler than 2nd, heresy I know! 7th is so interesting I'm very torn as to collecting a Heresy army or staying with 40K. Trying very hard to stay focused.

As for the codex for me it's all about the Lion's Blade Formation. As mostly a collector of a model's it gives a brilliant template to collect a fluffy but seemingly effective force.

Edit: and as a collector concentrating on only one or two wings wasn't appealing to me. As Storm mentioned the dex seems to help you bring in the first and second company backed up with a solid core of battle companies which I think is much more representative of your "average" DA army.

very and then it didnt help that they took away their turn 1 deepstrike, and our banners of a thousand gimmicks, and then they gave us the worst marine air to air fighter, and then they shot out our legs from under us by messing with our unique wargear (power field generator) and with azreal (so much anti-synergy with marines or poor synergy).

also be aware that there is a new vehicle that isnt in the codex. may i present to you the hawt combo you need to hit up ebay to buy, this isnt limited run or a specialty product. its just that GW only sells it at home in england which is so messed up.

its an HQ choice it costs 400 points and its really really cool (i think, as an owner of one set myself)

also hello im a new addition to the forum as of late 6th edition which only lasted 2 years as a rules edition because it was so awful

Do the rules come with the tank and how much does it cost £ wise?

Do the rules come with the tank and how much does it cost £ wise?

the rules come in a booklet inside the box, the kit itself costs 150 - 250 bucks on ebay and thats in canadian dollars, im thinking that the kit is about 65-75 pound assuming that folks sell those kits to us with the intent of making an honest 50-100 dollars profit

Archived