Questions on Paint Schemes

Nicodemus Doloroso

Blood Angels player coming in peace.

My (9 year old) son is slowly working on a Dark Angels force with my help. He wants to do his own DA successor chapter, and had some questions about how he should paint them. He's thinking of a scheme where regular marines armour his halved Caliban Green and Khorne Red. Something like this:

spacemarine.jpg

He doesn't know what to do about his terminators and bikers ... do all DA successors have different colours for their Deathwing and Ravenwing? What is the fluff reasoning behind them having different colours? Should he stick to bone white DW and Black RW, or is there freedom for successors to go in different directions and if so, do you have any recommendations?

Many thanks in advance!

Well my consecrators all have same colour armour regardless of company, just different company markings but if you want to distinquish them someway you could always take the blood angel aesthetic and change the helmets of the deathwing and ravenwing or even change another part like the shoulder with the chapter marking to bone for deathwing and black for the ravenwing, but it is really entirely up to you I'd say as there isn't much background fluff to work with for successors.

If I recall correctly all Guardians of the Covenant have the same colour across the board,fyi.

In the end its your models, your game, your money. Paint it the way you think looks cool. Especially if you are creating a Successor chapter, Rule of Cool trumps all.

It's actually very unclear in the fluff when the bone/white color became a thing for the Dark Angels' Deathwing. Until we know otherwise, it may have been immediately after the Heresy all the way up to very recently. No one actually knows for sure or can give you facts. The story many use to say it was recent is "Two-Heads Talking", which the current Codex calls a legend and/or apocryphal tale, meaning it is very questionable whether it is a true account or simply another "Space Marine Aesop's fable" like many other Dark Angels stories told.

I think the field is wide open for him on what to do with his 1st and 2nd Companies. Mine for my DA Successor do have alternate schemes for both (based on myths from their "home world" which some have said I should just make their actual Chapter Keep base), completely dropping the green the Battle Companies use and having varied levels of black and bone on the same model. I actually came up with a rank structure based on markings and the amount of bone:black on a model. Your son could decide that one company only uses green while the other only uses red. Or they are all gold. The choice is his. I would just encourage him to have a reason beyond "because the Dark Angels have other colors". It isn't bad, but it isn't really creative, which is part of this hobby's fun.

My Deathwing are a light grey while my regular marines are sand-coloured. They even have crimson on some parts. I'd have to look at my thread to tell you what colour the Ravenwing equivalent of my Successor are as I've forgotten it completely. I really should remember something like that confused.gif! Their bikes and Land Speeders have some green. Maybe.

Anyway, I'd say he can do anything he likes as it's his Successor Chapter.

Well my answer would be what does he like? My 11 year old son decided that he wanted his space wolves to be all on ginger thunder wolves why? Because he thought that was cool! For me that was totally the best answer, so now I have to let my night lords, dark eldar and angels of vengence get eaten by ginger thunder wolves on a regular basis. As a successor chapter there are no rules, after all we all do our own thing when dad isnt watching rightmsn-wink.gif

i tried this scheme once on marines using testor paints granted they were testors and it was years ago but it just doesnt look right on marines. try going for some silver trim that might help a bit especially on the shoulder rims and maybe change the kneecap from black to silver. it will help i think

Make sure the red and green division doesn't end up looking too christmassy :)

Santa's Helpers Space Marine chapter will be so! They will have large white beards, be adorned with bells and all things jingly! There war cry will be be "Ho Ho Ho you've been naughty this year!" They will bring the Emperors jolyness to the imperium.

Santa's Toy Bag

S4 AP5 Assault 2, Rapid Fire Master Crafted

Sx2 Ap2 Unwieldy, Concussion,Master Crafted, Daemonbane

The Legendary weapon carried by the the first chapter master, Saint Nick. Able to fire all things jolly and fun at high speeds, and able to increase its mass at will to strike down any foe

As a successor, he has total freedom in color scheme for the 1st and 2nd Companies. Depending on how close they are to the Dark Angels, they may "honor" the Dark Angels by following their scheme but they are not bound to them. Search around on this forum for Arkley's Blades of Alaric. They are a Red Unforgiven Chapter and they do not come out Christmasy at all.

Here's an idea: 1st Company red. 2nd Company green. Or vice versa :)

I actually like the red green halved scheme. I think provided they are given a fair bit of wear and tear/mud/grime etc then they won't look too christmassy at all. But I would avoid the temptation to use gold weapon cases :unsure:

[says he with his Santa hat avatar <_<]

Archived