The DW venting thread

Harleqvin

What strikes me about this whole situation is:  Why GW did this in the first place?  They sort of had a nice thing going with the 6th edition codex rules.  While they moved away from FOC changing options game-wide, there doesn't strike me as anything that is inherently gamebreaking when it comes to running an all terminator list.  After all, there IS a codex that is predicated on such a concept.  This game overall I don't find particularly favors terminators to begin with, so allowing an all terminator army doesn't sound all that bad.  I always asserted that DW lists didn't win because of terminators, they won because of Deathwing Vehicle bearing Land Raiders, seemingly indestructible Landraiders that delivered relatively unharmed terminators to where they needed to be.  But in a game full of high volume high strength shooting, I don't see a problem with the tradeoff.  I rarely saw DW games be lopsided for the DW player (including myself the few times I ran it).

If you as a game developer writes a rule like the Unbound detachment, this says to me as a player of the game and a customer: I don't really care how you play, just play.  So why go out and write a formation or detachment as restrictive as the DWRF or DWSF? Knowing what the previous DWA rule was, this tells me that the developers sat down and willfully acknowledged that there was something so wrong about Land Raiders or Turn 1 DS in a DW formation that it needed to be removed.  I haven't played enough DW in this edition  to really determine whether it would be that strong, but my gut feeling says it wouldn't given the fact it's still an expensive army to run.

Even as a commercial expedition this doesn't make sense to me as allowing DW players to bring Land Raiders would mean that a prospective DW player would entertain the notion of buying, building, and painting Land Raiders.

I tell you what, I'd like to see a community project in which we write (and somehow agree) on a B&C Unofficial DW formation that doesn't feel too strong, but has the tactical flexibility of old.

It's probably worth pointing out at this stage that every other marine codex can run a battle forged all terminator list

GK - CAD/Nemesis Strike Force

BA - Archangels Detachment

SM - 1st Company Task Force

SW - Company of the Great Wolf.

Alright, here is the thing. Pure Deathwing never really worked, even with the Crusader rush. I wanted them to. Visually, an army of terminators looks really cool. I sympathize completely with everyone here, especially with the "option" of going unbound.Makibg pure Deathwing work would just take too much. ..work. They need better support. They need to be able to get around the board more efficiently. They need more firepower than one storm bolter per 40 point model and one heavy weapon in five. But ALL of these things they need are already present in other units in the army. We have devastators and squadrons of tanks. We have tactical and scouts squads able to provide high numbrrs of bolters at a fraction of the cost. We have Ravenwing to race and fly all over the battlefield to intercept and pursue our opponent's units. if we actually pause long enough to be honest with ourselves, we have to admit that our codex has virtually all the tools we need to field a decently competitive army. Termies are meant to drop into our opponent's deployment zone and present them with some tough units that arw right in their face. To this end, few armies do it better than the Dark Angels. Maybe it's time to just stop trying to turn them into something they are not.

I'm an ex-Deathwing player. I can highly recommend GK, it's the DW army I always wished they could be. - Lvl3 Terminator Librarians, Terminators, The Terminator in a papoose and Draigo do make a good mobile list that I have loads of fun with. 

Not to mention that, if you're lucky the whole Nemesis Strike Force deep strikes on turn 1. And they still get running and shooting in any order on the turn they come in. And they don't have to start in deep strike reserve. They can purchase Land Raiders as dedicated transports. So much for balance.

Archived