Caestus Assault Ram, solution for DW?

Steve86

No i dont own th IA books (yet) but when looking up info on the Dark Angels i found this

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-ES/Caestus-Assault-Ram

Battlescribe helped me figure out most but a quick search on the B&C yielded only sparse talk of its use in 30k. At 150+ usd its pricey along with points cost.

To me it seems like a viable solution for deathwing. Yea you'll have to use a CAD but thems the breaks i guess. So I'd like to know what you guys think of it?

No i dont own th IA books (yet) but when looking up info on the Dark Angels i found this

Battlescribe helped me figure out most but a quick search on the B&C yielded only sparse talk of its use in 30k. At 150+ usd its pricey along with points cost.

To me it seems like a viable solution for deathwing. Yea you'll have to use a CAD but thems the breaks i guess. So I'd like to know what you guys think of it?

What do you mean by a solution for DW? Caestus, like all the other flyers come in on Turn 2+, this does not really solve anything, and if you are taking CAD you still will need to take some troops instead of DW, so we are back to square one.

Is it a good flyer? Yes, yes it is, but it is very point costly ~250. Loading it up with 500 points of Terminators brings it to almost 800 points!

I do actually love the model and would like to see how people use this beast. Terminators though, i just dont think it works for them. Sure its an assault vehicle but thats at least half your army in a single not really tough basket. Caestus imho should be filled with Assault Marines or Veterans.

What do you mean by a solution for DW? Caestus, like all the other flyers come in on Turn 2+, this does not really solve anything, and if you are taking CAD you still will need to take some troops instead of DW, so we are back to square one.

Is it a good flyer? Yes, yes it is, but it is very point costly ~250. Loading it up with 500 points of Terminators brings it to almost 800 points!

I do actually love the model and would like to see how people use this beast. Terminators though, i just dont think it works for them. Sure its an assault vehicle but thats at least half your army in a single not really tough basket. Caestus imho should be filled with Assault Marines or Veterans.

Don't forget the Skyshield landing pad if you want it in turn 1.

and that thing was how much again? Now we are getting close to 1000 points all together arent we?

So an int-chap with mace and shroud in a DWC with apoth, champ, heavy flamer, chain fist, deathwing banner and 2 guys with hammers.

Dedicated transport crusader= 715 with melta

Caestus Assault Ram= 760 w/ launchers and ceramite

The ram is packing large blast melta fun and one turn of twin-linked missile spam.

The crusader has A twin-linked assault cannon a standard melta and 6 twin-linked bolters

To me it seems you get more bang for just 55 points more. Sure its turn 2 but your still able to charge turn 2 and drop ALOT of plates 2 of which are ap 1

So an int-chap with mace and shroud in a DWC with apoth, champ, heavy flamer, chain fist, deathwing banner and 2 guys with hammers.

Dedicated transport crusader= 715 with melta

Caestus Assault Ram= 760 w/ launchers and ceramite

The ram is packing large blast melta fun and one turn of twin-linked missile spam.

The crusader has A twin-linked assault cannon a standard melta and 6 twin-linked bolters

To me it seems you get more bang for just 55 points more. Sure its turn 2 but your still able to charge turn 2 and drop ALOT of plates 2 of which are ap 1

But will it actually come in turn 2? To make sure it actually comes in Turn 2 you need to dedicate more point to that.

I am not saying it wouldnt work. Its just tricky to pull of. Land Raider is foolproof. Unless it gets stuck on a grass hill or exploads from a lucky lascannon shot.

As an owner of Caestus it's a great choice, I never failed to deliver my Knights with it, and pommel the troops with magna-melta.

My only concern is the point cost, as it's eats up a lot. In my meta it mostly 1.5k games, it's not well suited for this. for 1850-2000 it's a great choice.

@ Lucifer it is an expensive option i agree. I was looking at the ability of a deepstriking transport and for terminators so high cost in points was anticipated

@ aura the storm eagle hasnt been overlooked. Its been mentioned a lot along side the land raider so i was looking at the more "exotic" vehicles that could be used

@stormxlr as i said to aura i was looking beyond the staple transports but yes the land raider does the job. I recently watched a batrep with a Deathwing player using the land raider spearhead formation and the ignoring everything but explode results rule was amazing

@komodo it is an investment no doubt. How does it work out when you do get it out?

@ Lucifer it is an expensive option i agree. I was looking at the ability of a deepstriking transport and for terminators so high cost in points was anticipated

@ aura the storm eagle hasnt been overlooked. Its been mentioned a lot along side the land raider so i was looking at the more "exotic" vehicles that could be used

@stormxlr as i said to aura i was looking beyond the staple transports but yes the land raider does the job. I recently watched a batrep with a Deathwing player using the land raider spearhead formation and the ignoring everything but explode results rule was amazing

@komodo it is an investment no doubt. How does it work out when you do get it out?

not storm eagle the stormwolf it's basically the ram only cheaper and it's for one min squad which sounds like what you'd be taking anyway

@aura_enchanted: So you suggest to use a smelly SW flyer with Allies tax, that will cost more than a Caestus in the end because HQ+Troops+ Flyer will be 335 points barebones. Unless you go unbound and get just the flyer (which is almost as expensive as a caestus BTW), also which is probably not an option because if one goes unbound, might as well just buy Land Raiders and spare the shame of having DW ride in a SW vehicle. laugh.png

@aura_enchanted: So you suggest to use a smelly SW flyer with Allies tax, that will cost more than a Caestus in the end because HQ+Troops+ Flyer will be 335 points barebones. Unless you go unbound and get just the flyer (which is almost as expensive as a caestus BTW), also which is probably not an option because if one goes unbound, might as well just buy Land Raiders and spare the shame of having DW ride in a SW vehicle. laugh.png

their are detachments beyond that which could be used in the wolf book to get the flyer and integrate it into the army, the wolves are blessed with a wonderful champions of fenris detachment which allows for such a feat, so really you wouldn't be taxing a tax at all unless you count lugging around an extra two books, and the wolf is cheaper and does do the same thing and it's very likely it will only get cheaper when their new book arrives... When it arrives

But if people are even doubtful when it's time to add Ravenwing to their Deathwing to play DW as pure as possible without external aid what makes you thing that adding a bunch of SW is a credible and reliable solution to give DW some transportation?

At least the FW flyers are pretty much stand alone and belong to the any SM army... but getting SW just to borrow their ugly flier is a line that most if not all DA players won't cross. At least the players I see here in this forum... can't speak about the rest of the world.. ;)

and that thing was how much again? Now we are getting close to 1000 points all together arent we?

I never said it was points efficient, I said it could be used to bring it in turn 1.

Also, Fun > Points.

The Ram is a fun unit to field.

Archived