Freeblade - The Digital game

The Shadow Guard

Hmmm.... so I got 48 hours of mostly undisturbed time and since the fat old man in red dropped off an ipad mini for my daughter I suddently found myself with some time and my ipad to spare!

Was checking out the 40K games.... and decided to have a look at "Freeblade" which is in fact a "free" download. huh.png

I'm sure many here would have seen, played and be done with it by now but fr the slow starters like me.... The backstory is of a knight just ascended but has his world destroyed by a chaos assault... he is saved by the intervention of guess who.... the boys in green.... well the Emperor's Boys in green.. the initial battles are all agains the BOYZ in Green....

So he becomes a freeblade travelling with the DA on the battlebarge "Fist of Caliban" ..... It's nicely done... and working with the DA...seeing the boys in green fighting with you...is just great... A nice surprise! cool.png

The melee with squiggoths, morkanauts and dreads are a little repetetive...but the battle dequences are very smooth...

Love to know what others thought of the game....

SG

My biggest beef with the game is the constant ads that one has to watch to get additional salvage, free portion of ore or to get two boosts before a mission. The mechanics also have the knight slowly degrade so that after a while you have to wait to repair your knight.

Just downloaded it tonight. There is always a "drop off", a point where being free to play doesn't get you past a certain point. Or maybe I'm just not good at the game. For me act 3 is my stopping point until I perfect my forging skills. Great fun though and a great 40k fix while out and about in reality.

I've had Freeblade for a while now but haven't played it. My boys have a few times though.

But like GMB I was annoyed by the intrusiveness of the ads. I do understand that the game is 'free' and needs paying for somehow. But maybe a different mechanic could have been used.

Anyway, graphics are smooth and the look of it all is excellent.

I have to say its very likeable and not too difficult to move forward...even for a real time klutz like me. The fact that the Freeblade is aligned with the DA makes it more immersive for me.

The issues with in app ads is an annoyance, but the ads only come up if you want freebies... you can overcome the by making in-app purchases, which I guess isn't too bad given the fact that the game is free. I don't mind as I always multi task (TV, Reading, eating or studying ohmy.png ) so the adds aren't an issue... The slow degrading of the knight's fram from battle creeps up on you.... and took me a little while realise that it did affect the outcome.

The game has what appears to be standard mechanics for many "i" games.... a set of campaign missions which once completed will allow you to do a more difficult version of each mission with bigger gains, extra prizes etc.

Also, the ability to paint and detail your knight and the fact that the paint and icon options increase as you gain rank (or pay gold or ore) is a nice touch....

All in all for a "free" game I just love it... captures the 40K environment very well.

The only real beef I have is that at the end of the mission when the Freeblade stands and poses ... all the dead bodies and wreckage are not visible... cool.png

While on topic has anyone tried out the digital version of Spacehulk? I'm not talking about the Amiga 500 and Atari ST versions (many of you are unlikely to have been born at the time of those machines!! tongue.png ).... the recent ipad/iphone versions!

SG

So how much money should one expect this "free" game cost?

I don't mind spending money on a game, but I do like to know that a game billed as "free" doesn't have infinite cost.

Is this game one where you can play and generate resources for free, and those resources can purchase most of the games content?

Free play will be slow with lots of cool downs, but you will have access to all but the most advanced content. Where spending money just allows you to advance faster by either eliminating cool downs or speeding up resource generation.

Or is it a game where you start to play for free, but at some point turns into a subscription game, where the only way to continue playing is with a regular influx of money for either an actual subscription or in the purchase of the in game currency?

Its a game which fits your first description.

The in-app purchases will allow you to get "gold" and "ore" faster but I managed to get to the fifth campaign before I decided to purchase some "gold". Many of the cost issues will disappear if you are aptient I think.

For example the Knight's frame degrades over time and battles which can be refurbished instantly by the use of gold or will repair with time providing you don't take it to battle... so overnight much of it repairs depending on the state it is in.

You can go to the forge and upgrade existing weapons, and parts of the Knight's structure like helm, pauldrons etc. When you upgrade you can use gold to make it happen immediately or use ore to make it happen over time.

Similarly you can dump old items in to forge slots and forge new replacement parts and then they can be upgraded. The higher the quality of old parts the better the quality of the new part you forge.

The game generates new patrol scenarios over time which allow you to earn gold and ore.... and gives you "free" explorer parties to look for them again over time.

No subscription of any form. Really good game to try out. 

As I said, my main gripe is the disappearance of most dead and destroyed bodies and wreckage which takes it away from the game...but that's common to nearly all such games.

Love blowing up ork warbosses, buggies, and trukks and deffkopters and fighta-bombas (?) charging to CC with stompas, morkanauts, squiggots as well as Chaos marines, vehicles and walkers...

SG

Well I tried the game at your suggestion, and you are right it is fun an enjoyable.

I just don't seem to be very good at it. LOL.

I also prefer games that are available to play when I want to play.

I don't like this style of game where you play for 5 min on a train and then come back in 12 hours.

Perhaps that is because I am not a commuter... and so I either have work time, down time, and drive time... but not much hurry up and wait time.

Also I am not a big fan of how these games interact with Facebook.

I can't stand it when I log into Facebook and see that I have 50 messages from friends and all of them are candy crush ads that the game sent out without permission.

Archived