Alternate Death Company Deployment

SM1981

Looking for some advice brothers...

I've got a game tomorrow, friendly competitor who I first started playing with when we were young teens, and is actually the guy who got me back into the hobby earlier this year.

I'm going to be running Sky Hammer as Blood Angles (largely because we're mates and we let each other get away with little things like that, as long as the fine details ignored are reciprocal).

In addition to that I want to field some death company (because they're awesome), and obviously some other troops (scouts), so the list is legal. Then some other assorted stuff to bring it up to 2500pts.

My question is what deployment methods other than jump packs have people used and like for DC. I don't want drop pods as I already have a lot of stuff coming in via that medium, and jump packs I do a lot so want to try something new.

My worry is that putting them in a Rhino and sending them up the middle is just a bit too risky... They're a priority target and whacking them in a light (ish) vehicle which literally has x's painted on it seems like tempting fate.

Anyone got any advice on how to overcome this? I have in theory 3 Rhino's I could use (although not in DC colours), and 15 non Jump Pack DC.

Thoughts please...

Exactly that my brother, rhinos pretty much suck for DC. Unless it was a very small game - not worth it.

Jump packs are so much better in every way. You could always deep strike the unit with jump packs though, but then you're looking at a turn 3 charge at best, whereas packs on the ground turn one will most likely see a T2 charge.

If not, you can make a deathstar with a chaplain and some tooled up DC in a land raider.

It will become priority target #1 for your opponent though.

Cateus assault ram.

Toss in 9 plus chappy or just straight 10. Power weapons to taste either PF or TH, but I found them not to be needed because melta weapon on ram will own just about anything it hits.

The speed of this will lend to late game charge getting them where your opt doesn't want them. If you playing sky hammer this would be good choice to add because you can DS and if you give a pod a beacon. Now you got one of nastiest fliers in 30/40k right on top of them, so melt than next turn DC does what they do than either ram something or melt something else.

Either way if you tieing up a good chuck or force with sky hammer assault there not much he can use to threaten the ram.

15 DC sounds like a stormraven job to me.

Stormraven transport capacity is 12. A Storm Eagle could carry 15 plus Chaplain, although two years on and Forge World still haven't released the long-promised FAQ that would allow Blood Angels to actually take it. But presumably not an issue if your opponent is letting you use Space Marine Formations.

A Spartan would usually get them there, and you don't have to wait for those to come in from reserve.

I've had much success with a Land Raider Redeemer, for turn 2 assaults. I've also had a good bit of success with a storm raven for a potential turn 3 charge. If it is a smaller death company squad with bolters, a rhino is perfectly fine. I've had success with rhino rushing, and Jump Packs are always reliable.

I would recommend a normal land raider. You don't need frag launchers like the Redeemer or crusader, and death company are going to murder and Armor 3+or lighter infantry anyways. So I would roll the land raider along 6 inches a turn, shoot the lascannon on each side at something different, and let them charge out when ready. Sounds like you got lots of other threats coming turn 1, so it won't be easily focused since it's AV14.

The charge will likely happen at turn 3, as you'll be, with disembarkation, right at 2 feet from their edge, and charging with in a foot of their edge. But they'd be silly to turtle so much unless their IG or tau. Even then, if you drop pods to one side as the storm hammer, the land raider can be an anvil they don't want to back up into.

Many thanks brothers! I think I will go LR. Principally because I have the model, and the added armour on the vehicle means the DC inside should actually get there.

The Cateus Assault Ram is an interesting option though... Truth be told I hadn't even really looked at as an option for my collection until the suggestion was made today. Will definitely be adding that to my "Things to buy" list now though.

Today i deepstruck 3 x 10 dc units with jumppack thanks dante against necrons. sadly i wiffed almost every feel no pain check and the necrons didnt wanted to die.

deepstricking went very good. all units came turn two and where in charge range for turn 3. but the pretorians where to much for my dc.

Archived