Extra Kit

SM1981

So I played a game today against a space marine opponent which threw up an interesting question I wanted to run by you guys.

The guy fielded a vanguard vet squad with the usual array of power weapons and pistols. On top if this he had a couple of models he'd converted to include additional melta bombs hip mounted / thigh mounted. He paid the upgrade points for them, and we're mates so I let him run them without question.

What it essentially created a situation where models had 5 weapon choices (pistol / power weapon / frag grenade / krak grenade / melta bomb). The logic was if you can carry and use grenades strapped to you (krak and frag as standard kit), why would melta bombs be any different (same in theory with a sheaved sword etc)?

The more I think a out it, the more it makes sense, and I don't actually remember seeing anything in a codex saying that vets can take only 2 hand to hand weapons max. But... I've never seen anyone else do it before. (When they take melta bombs it's as a weapon in the marines hand in place of a pistol or sword etc).

So what's people's feeling on that - have I been missing a trick or is this a case of RAW vs RAI?

Meltabombs don't replace any weapons? Their just like grenades. So you guys played it right. Though I think, not sure, but think that if a unit of vanguard veterans buys melta bombs, they all have to. Not sure though, so don't quote me. I am sure however that meltabombs don't replace anything.

Archived