best way to kit out a black knights command squad

ZONKEY

Personally I take all plasma, an apothecary and a champion. I tend to find the banner rarely pays off for me, usually getting himself killed early. And the champion is handy to take a challenge if you have other things in mind for sammy and his Ap2 sword. I don't tend to bother with the grenade launcher much anymore. I did with the old codex, but I don't find the new version as useful.

Black knights get an awesome 2+ rerollable from a shroud. So it's definitely worth considering. I find that if my opponent has anything with ignores cover, it will target the Knights first. So that would obviously negate the shroud. My own personal method is to deploy them depending on who and what I am facing, and to think about what potential threats to them will be able to mess them up on my opponents turn. Thunderfire cannons, whirlwinds. Things like that tend to cause me issues. Also, If I get turn one I'm more likely to deploy them straight off the bat. If I don't get turn one I'm more likely to outflank them. I also have a habit of deploying quite a lot of ravenwing as outflanking. It really can cause some players to think twice about where they go with their units.

One particular opponent of mine has a habit of being really aggressive and assaulty with marines in Razorbacks and dreadnoughts, keeping my bikes in reserve seems to stunt his forward push, while he worries about where my bikes will come from. Will they get behind his ironclad? Will they push into his back line force and mess with his heavy weapons?

I think there's definitely advantages to outflanking or standard deployment, but for me it's entirely situational.

I run them with the full kit. Optionally run 1 grenade launcher. 2 was good for stacking both benefits in the old book, but rad isn't anywhere near as good as it used to be.

You will find that more plasma shots are usually better, especially when you lose a few models. Riding with Samael gives the grenade launcher some more use to help with challenges and since Sammael can protect your plasma gunners with the extra wounds.

Dark Shrouds have double benefit. Not only do they boost your cover save, they prevent overwatch against your bikes if they are in position properly. Great choice to protect them and let them do their job.

Running them as a smaller strike force detachment gives you some great options, and you can use that to make sure the dark shroud is with them.

Take the grenade Launcher on the Apothecary so you never role gets hot on him always take the champion

Aside from that run with full 6 don't get hung up on having the shroud near all the time there are situations where you just can't do it but its uses are key and combo well with a librarian in the squad and Interomancy

SnakeChisler, are you sure you can take the grenade launcher on the Apothecary? I think that as you have to change his statline to 'Ravenwing Apothecary' the rule of any 'RBK may replace their plasma talon with a ravenwing grenade launcher' means he can't swap his talon out.

Ignoring the grenade launcher is fine. The grenade launcher is most useful when you plan on assaulting MEQs to make it easier to hit and strike first. If you plan to mostly shoot, or are playing vs GEQ or faster infantry, you won't notice as much.

Archived