Start collecting Blood Angels. A new collection by GW

Paikis

So the new starter bundles have been released (on the Australian site) and the Blood Angels bundle includes the Codex, a Terminator Librarian and a squad of CC Terminators.

Price-wise there is no saving, so again GW is putting out a bundle to save clicks. But the major downside is that you can't even field this as an army. They really dropped the ball on this one.

As a starter kit I should be able to field a legal army. It should have been a BA tactical squad, a captain or Sanguinary Priest, a squad of Death Company and a Predator. It should NOT include a codex because that then prohibits people from buying this bundle I'd they already have one.

Then I'd tack on a 10% discount and call it done.

I think this is probably more likely to be deliberate.

By including the attractive / cool models you are guaranteed it will catch people's eye (hence the Terminators and Terminator Lib, which most players from other factions will be aware of and view as strong kit).

By including the Codex, you can be pretty sure that people will read it (because why wouldn't you when it's part of a bundle you just bought?).

After reading the Codex you would realise you can't field that force (as you mentioned) and so be essentially be forced into buying either a tactical squad or some scouts to make it table legal.

And once people have mentally commited to buying more stuff so that they can table an army, you can be pretty sure they will also think about adding some other of our elite units / chapter specific units (because they are cool).

Basically it's a sales lead exercise.

There are no "troops" on that box set. Terminators are an "elite". Termie Lib is a "HQ" choice. I'm unaware of a BA formation or standard space marine formation that can be fielded without a "troops" option.

Correct me if I'm wrong?

Things like a combined army detachment just give additional rules. With unbound, there's just not any additional rules or benefits gained like there is with a Baal detachment, formations, or a CAD.

You don't have to be battle forged. You can just play with the models you want inside an agreed points limit. So any army meeting that requirement is "legal" unless you're going somewhere that requires the use of some kind of additional structure.

After reading the Codex you would realise you can't field that force (as you mentioned) and so be essentially be forced into buying either a tactical squad or some scouts to make it table legal.

Read your rule book.

This is the only BA bundle that couldn't be used as is. The BA Battleforce can have the tactical squad broken up into 2 5 man tacticals and the Strike Force Cryptus can field the DC and Dread as the specific squads from Shield of Baal.

As others have pointed out, it is still a legal army as far as the rulebook goes, and it does provide a starting point for a larger force based on either the FOC in the codex, or, by purchasing either a Furiouso dread or another box of terminators, you have an Archangels force ... which of course those starting an BA army would not know about because GW has not released the BA portion of _Shield of Baal: Exterminatus_ (which they did for the Flesh Tearers).

Definitely a down side since you lose out on unique rules but helps for those who have 6 some odd assault marine units ala 5th/6th ed. BA Codex.

Heck, with the number of formations running about, you normally don't need anything but the minimum Force Org in your primary detachment.

It's because it doesn't really offer anything and cheapens the game in a way - letting you bring anything you want. Most forces you can dream of can be built with formations and detachments so there's normally no need.

Plus unbound sort of conjures up the image of bad things in people's heads, like a list with all the best units from every codex and no filler etc.

Its sort of like "oh I put all this effort into making a list and you're bringing a squad from every faction, a knight and a chaos super heavy."

Just leads to more arguments than its worth.

Its sort of like "oh I put all this effort into making a list and you're bringing a squad from every faction, a knight and a chaos super heavy."

Just leads to more arguments than its worth.

To be fair, the number of formations out there makes this actually pretty likely anyway.

And yet ask someone if they mind playing against an 8th company list with no Ob Sec, no cheesy demi/battle company bonuses, no I bonus on the charge etc and they'd probably say - of course. 

Unbound is fine and i have no problems with it, neither should anyone else when 5 Knights (or whatever your local big gribbly formation is) are acceptable as bound lists. Seriously - has anyone actually come across someone who wants to play with a pair of riptides/stormsurges, 3 Bloodthirsters, 2 Wraithknights and a load of Flyrants...????? Because thats the big bad bogeyman that 'everyone' is scared of - we as players merely have to open our eyes and realise there is no monster under the bed.

Or at least the monster is only going to come out once. 

Interestingly, the Space Marines formation that comes with the vanilla kit includes a rule that allows any unit within 12" of the captain to fire instead of moving in the move phase... then fire again in the shooting phase. So you can't move, but you can fire twice, every turn of the game.

Interestingly, the Space Marines formation that comes with the vanilla kit includes a rule that allows any unit within 12" of the captain to fire instead of moving in the move phase... then fire again in the shooting phase. So you can't move, but you can fire twice, every turn of the game.

Only a unit from the formation though, so a single Tac squad or (Venerable) Dread.

Seems like a pretty cool rule. Fun enough to warrent taking in a 500 - 1000 point game without feeling unfair / usless.

It's a nice defensive bulk of 400 pts. Take an offensive 600 points of BA and it could work nicely. DC/ pods etc.

Seems like a pretty cool rule. Fun enough to warrent taking in a 500 - 1000 point game without feeling unfair / usless.

It's a nice defensive bulk of 400 pts. Take an offensive 600 points of BA and it could work nicely. DC/ pods etc.

Can you purchase dedicated transports for the units in the formation, or would that void their formation rules?

You can buy dedicated Transports in formations. Otherwise it would state in restrictions.

What would not work in an formation where the Termiators have to deep strike and put them into an dedicated Land Raider cause the LR cant deep strike (anymore).

Archived