Ours is the Shadow of War. Legio X, the Iron Hands.

BeatTheBeat

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b475/SpiritOfArgh/IronHands_zps6snl6j1k.jpg

Legio X, the 'Iron Hands'

'Ours is the Shadow of War,
Our hands bear the manifold Scythes.

Ours are the towering oceans of Wrath,
Borne upon a merciless Light

Ours is the Rage, the Shell and the Flame
Our lot is to die by the Blade

Ours is Vengeance, ours are the Thorns,
Ours is the Shadow of War.

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b475/SpiritOfArgh/Heresy%20Iron%20Hands%2001_zpsenoa0fpd.jpg

Good lord, those are the darkest Iron Hands I've ever seen, it's like their armour's so dark it's eating all the light around them.

4402843+_ab52f75c6ff4820bb9bf297de070f11

I love it! They look fantastically sinister, the depth of the black really helps the white details and bloody crimson visors stand out. :)

Legionary Pallas - Thank you, glad you like it! This will feature Mk.II exclusively, to balance all these newfangled Mk. IV armies surfacing everywhere. ph34r.png

SanguiniusReborn - Haha thanks! I do aim for a really, really dark representation of the 10th (white gun casings? NEVER!), pretty close to the darker Raven Guard schemes you might see, but more of an unpainted black iron feel.

Leviathus - Thank you!

For those of you familiar with my other logs, you know the drill. Slow rolling project, each model comes with fluff and ceremony bordering on the ritualistic. So here we go with the first of the Astartes featured in the intro post:

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b475/SpiritOfArgh/Heresy%20Iron%20Hands%20Centurion%2001_zpskfapzlgg.jpg

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b475/SpiritOfArgh/Heresy%20Iron%20Hands%20Centurion%2002_zps6y8svf2g.jpg

Shield-Centurion Abraxes Toras

1031st Expeditionary Fleet Detachment, Clan Lumarii, Legio X Adeptus Astartes

_________

Blinding light. Pain. Darkness. More pain. Growth, or something akin to it. Unnatural. Acid fire through every vein. Darkness, but not quite sleep. He knows there has been long periods of consciousness - days? Months? Years, even? - but they are lost in a haze of the pain's making. And then electricity coursing throughout his body, and with it, the darkness that swallows his mind again and again.

Light again. Of some kind. More pain, but not as intense now. A voice. The words it says sound nothing like what they mean. And... sleep. Finally, after what feels like years, he can feel himself sliding into sleep. Before his eyes close into dreamless nothingness, his left fingers touches upon a metallic socket in his arm. It hasn't been there before. It does not matter. Sleep finally takes him, then.

Years later. He hefts the ritual knife, and begins sawing off his right hand. The pain and effort is... uncomfortable, even for an Astartes. It does not matter. Finally it is done, and even though his blood is everywhere, the wound is already healing. He looks around the gathered warriors, seeking any to challenge his worth. Varas steps forward, his eyes a frown, his right hand, too, gone. "I never liked you", he states simply, devoid of emotion. They look into each others' eyes. "Intent?", Abraxas asks, as the ritual demands. "Your humiliation", is the answer. "Means?", he asks again. "Tooth and nail and fist and fury", comes the answer from Varas. Abraxas nods, and drops the knife. In his head, there is only an image of Varas, broken and bleeding upon the cold, black floor. Now he just has to make it so.

Silent upon the verdant crop-fields of Selias Five-B, he watches helplessly as a mountain of fire and metal tear the sky asunder from above. It is a mountain he knows well, for it has been his home for a hundred years. 'Aggressor', flagship of the 1031st Expedition, splits the heavens of Selias like a hammer. And then, suddenly, with the sound of a thousand atomantic warheads, the 'Aggressor' bursts asunder in an unbearingly bright conflagration. The skies are gone in the blink of an eye, the whole world above is fire and flame now. Without realizing it, Abraxes Toras falls to his knees and screams his lungs to shreds.

Two years later. Without joy, he finally gives the order for the wearied fleet to leave Selias Five-B. Behind them floats a bare rock of ice and stone, devoid of atmosphere. That a whole civilisation existed there seems an absurd joke. This is what war makes, he thought. Elisiveth, the Remembrancer, turns to him. "Intent, Shield-Centurion?".

"Conquest," he states, as ever. And though she already knows the answer, she asks again: "Means?"

He smiles at that. He wouldn't confess it, but he is glad of the company she provides. He is just sorry that he can't give another answer, not this time, not a thousand other times. "War", he says, and looks away. "Neverending war, Remembrancer."

Somewhere deep, deep within him, he hopes, there is a glimmer of humanity left.

_______

The Shield-Centurion. Ah, how I love this guy! One of my all-time favourite creations, and the main reason I keep getting drawn back into the folds of the 10th Legion. To me he's a no-nonsense type character, battle-hardened and brutal. Something like a more practical-minded World Eater crossed with a Night Lord, without the martial prestige and sheer ambition but with all the direct attitude and utter lack of ethics and noble ideals when it comes to warfare.

Cheers,
BTB

Legionary Pallas - Haha you really should! I could make a painting tutorial for these when painting the next one, it's actually a very simple process.

Here comes the next two Astartes from the intro post:

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b475/SpiritOfArgh/Heresy%20Iron%20Hands%20Legionnaire%2002_zps0dcass2b.jpg

Legionnaire Antonias Sander

Squad Urthas, 1031st Expeditionary Fleet Detachment, Clan Lumarii, Legio X Adeptus Astartes

'Use only that which works
And take it from any place you can find it'
- Ancient Terran proverb

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b475/SpiritOfArgh/Heresy%20Iron%20Hands%20Legionnaire%2001_zpsestyozvy.jpg

Legionnaire Simor Balbavas

Squad Urthas, 1031st Expeditionary Fleet Detachment, Clan Lumarii, Legio X Adeptus Astartes

______

"We stood beside the Gorgon only once before we were sent off into the void. It was at Vondura, where the tides of war had turned against us and our intent was already glorious death. The Intaxii Multifarance had raised an army of sand and stone and mindless fury, by magick blasphemous and strange. Most of our Clan were from old Terra, and had fought there against the Skandii warlocks. We had faced madness like this before, and fear had no hold of our hearts. Yet courage and dire intent alone could not win the day, that much was clear when the armoured spearhead crumbled to so much twisted armour and broken bone.

Then came the Gorgon. An entire Clan came with him, their Stormbirds singing their blessed engine-song as they dislodged the Legion elite into the heart of the Multifarance command echelons. The Multifarance warlocks were not defenceless by any means however, and seldom before or after have so many Stormbirds died in the beat of a heart, leaping lightning spearing one after another. Yet on they came, and when the Gorgon was amongst the enemy, their fate was sealed, and with them, their elemental hosts perished like puppets bereft of strings.

I am glad, then, to have fought with the Gorgon. Yet as he sent us away into the darkness to tear it asunder once more, the first and only words he ever spoke to us were these:

'You are stains upon my shadow.'

Iron-Captain Thuras paid for the failure at the hands of our Lord, and the fleet moved on. Such is the brotherhood of the Iron Tenth."

_______

Cheers,
BTB

The stuff you've got here is epic. I really dig the style of the NMM you've got going for these guys as well as your Word Bearers, coupled with the wear and tear of the Xth legionnaries armour. The fluff you've written for them is also eye opening. I always thought of the sons of Ferrus being rather bland in comparison to most legions , either envisioning them as stone faced warriors with a worrying mechanical fetish or being close to walking automatons , but you've given them something that is akin to the personalities of both the World Eaters as well as the Iron Warriors (more so I feel than the Nightlords). I especially liked the part about Ferrus executing one of his captains (similiar to Perturabo's outbursts of violence against his own legion) which is makes sense in that the Iron Hands eschew weakness in all it's forms.

Long story short - Awesome content so far, looking forward to seeing how you proceed.

Soric - Thanks! Using metallics on these though, unless you mean the black armour. Seemed to fit the more gritty, realistic mood I'm aiming for here. And yes, I've always felt that the official portrayal of the 10th has been lacking, a lot. It's like the authors never really tried to figure them out, just wrote them as generic soldiers with an obsession with mechanical stuff. I've been trying to really build them up in my mind, and I think I'm getting close to something I feel is right. I'll probably explain my thinking more in-depth later on.

The Psycho - See further down, and thanks!

JackDaw - Thanks mate, glad you like it! I'm having a blast.

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b475/SpiritOfArgh/Heresy%20Iron%20Hands%20Legionnaire%2003_zpshlavthrx.jpg

Legionnaire Varduran Salamos

______

Alloy

[noun al-oi, uh-loi; verb uh-loi]

noun
1. a substance composed of two or more metals, or of a metal or metals with a nonmetal, intimately mixed, as by fusion or electrodeposition.
2. a less costly metal mixed with a more valuable one.
3. standard; quality; fineness.
4. a mixture, as of good with evil.
5. anything added that serves to reduce quality or purity.

verb
6. to mix (metals or metal with nonmetal) so as to form an alloy.
7. to reduce in value by an admixture of a less costly metal.
8. to debase, impair, or reduce by admixture; adulterate.

contextual usage, Legio X Adeptus Astartes
9. derogatory term for members of secret brotherhoods or sects (see: 'cross-formation relations', attachment B.4).
10. slang for a flawed plan (see: 'intent and means', attachment D.1).

______

Okay, here comes the recipe for the black armour on these guys. Couldn't take pictures of the process due to northern Swedish daylight conditions (i.e 1-2 hours per day of good lighting conditions at most, really), but I think you can figure it out:

1. Spray black undercoat.
  2. Drybrush entire model in abaddon black/codex grey equivalent. Should be pretty dark still.
  3. Wash selected areas in bestial brown equivalent thinned down.
  4. Wash a very few selected areas in dark angels green equivalent thinned down.
  5. Wash with thinned abaddon black or just paint it in recesses as needed to tone down the model again.
  6. Paint in rust/dirt with bestial brown/any orange/abaddon black mixes.
  7. Rehighlight a few extreme edges with abaddon black/codex grey equivalent.
  8. Tada!

(Note that I don't have exact ratios for the mixes as they vary depending on how the model's looking at the time. A brighter drybrush might need a darker wash, for example. It's a simple but dynamic technique.)

Cheers,
BTB

First of all, I love this. It really captures the darker, more techno-barbarian side of the Iron Hands. Most people just go full cyborg and forget all the smaller touches which make them more than that.

Second, are these the guys who become the Emperors Shadow? Because that's ridiculously cool if so.'l

The boltgun parts are metallic? You could have just said nothing and I would still have liked them all the same :P

The shading on them is quite stark but it's really nice. I think the way the boltgun parts looked in the photos coupled with the white of the hand on the Centurion's shield, must have made me think they were NMM. Again great work.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for bumping this, but I have to say that these Iron Hands got me all excited.
I think you really nailed the cold, hateful feel of the legion with this extremely dark colour scheme.
Very inspiring!

Don't stop now! What's next?  :)

Thanks all of you, and thanks for bumping it and not losing faith, Machinepriest! wub.png

I've by no means abandoned this project, this month is just extremely hectic for me: I'm switching jobs and moving to Stockholm (currently in Piteå, far in the north of Sweden). I'll probably be in place in Stockholm by the middle of February, and then all will be back to normal. Right now though, everything's stuffed into boxes in preparation for moving.

I've ordered and cleaned five new mk.2 marines, along with the command set. So that's what's up after the break!

Cheers,
BTB

• 2 weeks later...

Now, what can I say? I am more of a lurker to be fair, and have only recently fully commited to the Horus Heresy (aside from one Skitarii force), and my Death Guard are complete... But these Iron Hands... Just WOW! Quite possibly the sexiest Iron Hands I have ever seen! An amazing job, and I am excited for those yet to come!

• 8 months later...

THREADOMANCY.

Like the Iron Hands themselves, this thread seemed dead and buried. But now it's back, relocated from northern Sweden to Stockholm, and slower than ever.

Apologies for a slightly crappy photo:

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b475/SpiritOfArgh/IMG_9394_zpskkcamce8.jpg

Legionnaire Thalemas Ituran

______

"On one side of the vast chamber stood the warriors of the Tenth, silent and grim. On the other, the Third, proud and regal. Like immortal statues the Astartes were, utterly immobile in awaiting the coming battle, and such was the greatness of their silence that mine were the only sounds.

Thus, when the two chosen champions strode forth, their footsteps upon the earth were like thunder in a deserted temple. Thalemas of the Hands, Axael of the Children. The air was electricity, and the blades they held in their hands bled murder.

An hour later the two warriors lay on the ground, both bleeding and broken in a hundred places, both too much their Fathers' sons to accept any aid or support. So faint was their breathing that only the grins on their faces assured me that they were still alive. And then, like one, the assembled warriors on both sides charged towards each other, past and over their champions' prone forms. Yet instead of blows, there were embraces and booming laughter. It was then that I begun to understand that strangest of bonds that these two Legions share."

- Remembrancer Thritus Savarkand, attached to Legio III, the Emperor's Children.

Cheers,
BTB

Archived