So how much is too much Death company

The Pyrofessional

I often use two 10man jp units led by Astorath and Lemi/chaplin and love them. I often run them with 1-2 Dc dreads as a themed list and always have fun but have steamrolled people which weren't set up to counter it in anyway which isn't fun for anyone. Just luck of the lists and dice

In an ideal world though I'd say go crazy but dispite being a near bottom comp codex don't be shocked when people rage at you for fielding loads of little black dudes.

If you need to ask whether you have enough Death Company, you clearly aren't using Death Company properly! smile.png

Seriously, though, it really depends on the sort of list you want to run, and your points limits of course, though - in my admittedly inexpert opinion - if you have twenty at the moment that should be more than enough to cause some serious pain and rage for your opponent if they're equipped well. Try them out and see for yourself, tailor the exact number to your personal preference and how scary the enemy is. With the Death Company, though, it's pretty hard to go wrong.

Honestly, if I were the BA chapter master I'd be actively encouraging marines to succumb to the black rage - all reality would fall before them! smile.png

I usually run one power fist for every five how do you feel about that.

With jump packs. 

Pretty perfect. Adding in a power sword and maul is nice too.

Death company are really really great, but they will be shot at a lot by your opponent! 

...which is great, because that means they are not shooting at your other units.

I plan to field 10 man units with 2 Power Fists and a single Power Sword within. I may occasionally run two of these, but as already stated, it depends on the points available.

I think a DC army is a super cool/thematic/fluffy idea, and would love to hear about how it fairs on the table!!

End of Line

In the older fluff Blood Angels and their successor chapters always had the lost brotherhood top out around 30 maximum. Now it's subjective. There is no wrong answer, but I think 3% of your full chapter strength is about right, from a narrative perspective. But on the table top it's what you want to play. I stay around the 20-30 man DC personally, but for campaigns I've fielded 40 before representing almost an entire company succumbing.

3 squads, 7 marines x1 PF and x1 PS. Chappy or lemartes in each (base chappys aren't that expensive if you minus the cost of 2 standard dc, a thunderhammer {chappy's default PM gives concussive} , x2 JPs for said x2 marines-but you get less attacks for a chappy*) so its about 40 pts for the rerolls plus some tanking capacity. Its expensive but so are Porsches!

Watching your opponents sense of target priority explode? Priceless.

I have a 1500 point list I'm really close to finishing that is all Death Company. Until I've done Raphen's squad, I just use a tactical squad to substitute in the mean time.

Astorath

HQ Chaplain + Valour's Edge

1x Death Co Dread

5x Jump Pack Death Co + weapons

8x Death Co + powerfist, all with bolters

Lemartes

Raphen's Squad

Cassor the Dreaded

Drop Pod

Stormraven

Sometimes I take off a few upgrades to get a 2nd or 3rd drop pod if I don't want to put things in the Raven. Having two Dreads show up turn 1 that you can NOT let charge turn 2 is scary for a lot of opponents. Astaroth with one Jump Pack squad, Lemartes with the other. HQ Chaplain with the 8 in a pod/stormraven, and sometimes in a landraider. I prefer a few smaller units so I don't have too many points tied up in one assault (because the point is to get most of the list into assault), and if there's a hard target, a few combined assaults will take them down. 

It's hard to scale up to 1750+ and keep the all death company thing going, though. 

With jump packs.

Death company are really really great, but they will be shot at a lot by your opponent!

And one hand flamer is useful too.

With jump packs.

Death company are really really great, but they will be shot at a lot by your opponent!

Honestly, I'd say you're better off just buying another power weapon. You'll wound most thing easier on the charge and deny saves, plus theres less chance to gib your charge.

And to show I'm not biased (and any excuse to post this xP)

This is my 9 hand flamer Vanguard squad....

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah177/nevscorner/20151115_163759_zpsumqrfkx7.jpg

Isn't there a 3 DC squad, 2 DC Dread and a storm raven formation that gives Crusader and +1 to attack? I believe it is in Exterminatus. Great for an insane all DC list.

Yup, Mortalis Formation and it is pretty nice if you want to just run the boys in black.

Personally I would sooner add an Inferno pistol. I like JP heavy list so I give all squads a couple of melta weapons and that pretty much covers my fire support. Great for cracking transports so you can assault the squishy contents.

Personally I would sooner add an Inferno pistol. I like JP heavy list so I give all squads a couple of melta weapons and that pretty much covers my fire support. Great for cracking transports so you can assault the squishy contents.
Interesting idea, but I like my DC as troop destroyers not tank killers. Vanguard get fielded to take on armour (have access to power fists AND melta bombs), Sanguinary guard as monster / character killers (have access to high strength weaponry but not melta bombs).

DC always gets taken. Vanguard or Sanguinary guard dependent on what I'm expecting to play against.

Thin lines between all three, and just my own categorisation, but seems to work well (for me).

See now I'd always be say that Vanguard are dual tank/ monster hunters. Shields, bombs, grav pistols and thunder hammers work wonders on the big bugs/Daemons etc, maybe an attached Librarian for force.

SG are MEQ slayers. They don't have any strength buffs over vanguard so they're better off bullying enemy assault troops. A great example of a target for them are warp talons. They are expensive, have ap3 weapons (so can't touch the SG) and only a 3+!

Of course it's all different strokes for different folks!

With jump packs.

Honestly, I'd say you're better off just buying another power weapon. You'll wound most thing easier on the charge and deny saves, plus theres less chance to gib your charge.

And to show I'm not biased (and any excuse to post this xP)

This is my 9 hand flamer Vanguard squad....

Only 9 hand flamers? What are you, an Ultramarine?

Looks really good, but 9 is such an odd number. Why the sword over a 10th hand-flamer?

Because Swords are cool.

This. Vanguard get relic blades so why not. Let's me see the sergeant quickly on the battlefield!

I've also got plans for a squad with dual grav pistols to be lead by Cypher in a drop pod. Hopefully won't be too more expensive than centurions for a more fun output.

Archived