So how much is too much Death company

The Pyrofessional

In the older fluff Blood Angels and their successor chapters always had the lost brotherhood top out around 30 maximum. Now it's subjective. There is no wrong answer, but I think 3% of your full chapter strength is about right, from a narrative perspective. But on the table top it's what you want to play. I stay around the 20-30 man DC personally, but for campaigns I've fielded 40 before representing almost an entire company succumbing.

Usually if there are massive succumbings to the black rage Astorath is drawn to them and all those still alive get a swift mercy killing, albeit at initiative 1.

Right, you answered that already. That's what I get for not re-reading the thread before posting! 

Though that leads into another question: from what I've gathered from my readings (and correct me if I'm wrong; I likely am), the Blood Angels will send any men that fall to the Black Rage before a battle into the Death Company for that battle, then Astorath comes along and beheads the survivors afterwards. Is that correct, or is it only after a large number fall to the Rage that they need to be culled, so to speak? And if so, does he kill the lot of them, or keep a few loonies alive for tactical purposes? 

It really depends on the successor chapter. One chapter strips the fallen of all armor and give them a combat knife and basically leave them. Anothther chapter puts any survivors in stasis. Or they strap them down to an apothecary medical table to see if they can beat back the rage. Most just have their chaplains direct the death company towards the biggest baddest "whatever" basically the death company's are sent into the worst of harms way. And very few ever survive. There are also instances where the marines oath swear that their closest brother will be the one to end them should they fall, and the same thing goes for when there are a couple survivors who are unstable, and can't be saved.

Astorath has the primarch's second sight, and is telepathically drawn to large numbers of the black rage. So when an iconic character, or a huge number fall he seeks them out to judge any survivors and grants them the Emperor's peace, or like mephiston keeps an ever watchful eye on them.

Archived