Too many Banners a bad thing?

Brother Syddraf

Having disliked the backpack banner for a long time i have found myself starting to love them as i am gearing up to reboot my army.

As i was planning out what resources i had to work with i realized just how many back banners i had collected over the years, which got me thinking how to best use them.

My question to you is would it look out of place for multiple banners in say a command squad or veteran squad?

Having disliked the backpack banner for a long time i have found myself starting to love them as i am gearing up to reboot my army.

As i was planning out what resources i had to work with i realized just how many back banners i had collected over the years, which got me thinking how to best use them.

My question to you is would it look out of place for multiple banners in say a command squad or veteran squad?

i made some objective markers out of them, put them on top of some balls of stickytack or greenstuff, and then prime in black before adding colours, use the banner itself to label them clearly 1-6

Command squads and veteran squads are made of heroes of the Chapter/Company, so you can get away with having multiple banners. Personally I don't use banners at all because they tend to break during transport and the models occupies double size inside foam, but having a command squad with a banner-ed captain, Sgt, champion and apothecary, each with it's own heraldry seems like a cool way to make the command squad stand out.

All the tac sgts in my new army will have back banners. Each veteran having its own sounds neat, maybe you could find a reason why they have them? I noticed that not all heroes carry banners, maybe only a few have them to commemorate a great campaign, or even rising status, like nearing company master or epistolary

I'm on the same wavelength as the Chaplain on this one. I find them too flimsy. I have enough trouble keeping various other bits of bling and weapons on my models without making them even more fragile.

Don't get me wrong, I think a command squad with each member having their own personal banner would look very cool. But I wouldn't want to ever have to take them anywhere else for a game.

In 2nd edition, two back banners in every squad was normal: the Sergeant and the Squad Leader both wore them.

There were no rules for Squad Leaders even back then, it was purely aesthetic, so you could easily add some old school charm by adding a second banner to every squad. Nowadays he'd be the ordinary Marine nominally in charge of the second Combat Squad if they split up.

Been promised a ikea detolf glass case for my birthday next month

I have one of those!  I love it, but you'd be surprised how few models you can put in there in an attractive display, as opposed to them looking like they're just being crammed in for storage.

Posted · Hidden by Chaplain Lucifer, January 10, 2016 - No reason given
Hidden by Chaplain Lucifer, January 10, 2016 - No reason given

You've got to be careful not to over-egg the pudding. You don't want to end up with your models looking like this guy...

7b043a566f09af96ad9cd6007ec545e4.jpg

Or this guy:

http://orig12.deviantart.net/f548/f/2008/190/c/f/the_grimdarkian_by_ironshrinemaiden.jpg

So me current plan is to go crazy with banners across my command squad and veterans. Going to try and do individual banner for each member, found a mountain of decals from everything I've ever had to use on them, but undecided if the standard bearer will get one. Going to cut off the apothecary equipment on his backpack and put it onto some servo skulls. I also raided a mates bitz box for his unused banners. All my squad leaders will get the the banner from the dark angels veteran frame, the one with the winged sword and the veterans get a plain one.

Im sorting my army into small bagged projects and start another post as my wip log.

Thanks for your input all

You've got to be careful not to over-egg the pudding. You don't want to end up with your models looking like this guy...

7b043a566f09af96ad9cd6007ec545e4.jpg

What? No over Oathed World Eaters from 30k? lqtm

To the OP, I think that's a cool idea about the command squad members each getting one. I personally don't use them as it seems like a weird code of conduct of war from the 1700's and before telling people who is a leader and you shouldn't really attack them when they are screaming "attack me attack me" to me. But I am going to give my counts as Belial a banner most likely.

And I may have to magnetize the ones for the BaC set, squad vexalia* can't remember the name off the top of my head, as they are game mechanic used.

I usually use smaller "metal" chapter badges on sergeants' backpacks. But banners are awesome, you can magnetize it pretty easily so you'll be able to detach it easily during transportation, I actually did it for DW banner bearer. 

Where did you find the concept image for my belial!?!?! I put every purity seal I had on him. I even cut ones off that were hard sculped onto legs. Sadly many of them have fallen off. I love purity seals and back banners. My emperor's children standard bearer for my chaos army that got lost in the warp had a back baner as well as the standard. It fit the aesthetics of tiger stripes, leopard print neons and fluorescents. I don't know about dark angels though.

My solution for back banners is to glue a pin in the backpack and drill a hole half of the length of the vertical rod of the banner then use a long copper wire as the pin but I don't glue them. I slather on a satin varnish and give it a coat or two of matte to kill the sheen then they all go into their own little section in my case. The pin slides in between the pluck and pull foam very well.

Banners are the way to go, I plan 2 for each squad in my force, also been trying to get those flag poles from the old SM bikes. I normally use super glue but been recommended poly cement for plastic banners since it melts the plastic, bonding it to the backpack.

Archived