mind wipe and walkers

Crazy Jay

Alright, the simple question is this, What happens if I cast Mind Wipe on a Walker (or superheavy walker)?

A) The Walker has their WS and BS lowered to 1 until they are required to take a leadership test, then they automatically go back to normal

B) The Walker has their WS and BS lowered to 1 until they are required to take a leadership test, then due to not having a leadership score, automatically fail it and are at WS/BS 1 for the remainder of the game?

C) The Walker can not be targeted by Mind Wipe because they do not have a leadership score

D) Something else entirely that I can't even comprehend.

some relevent topics to this discussion. Psychic pilot states the vehicle behaves as having LD10 for all things that deal with psychic powers, however in this example I'm targetting a walker without the pyschic pilot rule. Is this enough precedence to say that ALL vehicles behave as leadership 10 when dealing with psychic powers? Another question is this passage from the BRB "It is assumed, in all cases, that the crew’s faith in their vehicle, and its considerable armour plating, is absolute. Therefore, vehicles never take Morale checks or Leadership tests." How does that work in regard to psychic pilot vehicles that perils. Even though that rule is a NEVER statement, does the perils and the psychic pilot trump it? I know I'm kind of going off on a tangent at this point but I'm trying to get some stuff worked out in my head before a big game, Thank you in advance for any and all help on this.

Psychic Pilot is no precedent for vehicles that don't have it.

Mind Wipe reduces WS / BS until end of next turn. This rule can be implemented.

As Vehicles don't take Ld tests therefore they can neither pass or fail one. So that part if the Mind Wipe can't be implemented.

Note that Malediction powers only last until the start of the psykers next psychic phase anyway (BRB p27). This part of Mind Wipe can be implemented too.

So overall we (that is our little player group) play this to mean that reduced WS / BS only lasts until the end of the next turn (DA Codex trumping rulebook here).

However, it could also expire at next psychic phase which would be less harmful. Discuss with opponent

But whichever the route you pick, the effects would not remain for the rest of the game.

mind wipe clearly says that a targeted enemy unit can be afflicted by the malediction. a vehicle unless joined by a monster or an infantry/ beast/ cavalry cant be counted as a unit. it is a model or vehicle or squadron. therefore an imperial knight cant be afflicted by wipe.

thats how i view it anyway

Everything as per the BRB is a unit Including vehicles

Mind wipe affects everything and as vehicles don't have a leadership it just goes away automatically.

It did come up when the Codex came out but there's nothing vague about the wording and we couldn't find a reason why it wouldn't apply after spending some time reading through it as my first thoughts were can you mind wipe an imperial Knight

Everything as per the BRB is a unit Including vehicles

Mind wipe affects everything and as vehicles don't have a leadership it just goes away automatically.

It did come up when the Codex came out but there's nothing vague about the wording and we couldn't find a reason why it wouldn't apply after spending some time reading through it as my first thoughts were can you mind wipe an imperial Knight

i think it would be less confusing if they were more consistent with that there verbage

It can be slightly confusing as the word Unit is used in different contexts in different areas

It didn't help non when Vehicle type wasn't on the stat page for Imperial Knights in 6th but that has been corrected in 7th so you don't need to hunt round for it.

Anyways everything should have a unit Type somewhere in its stat line in 7th for the Imperial Knight its on his profile page (where it should be 

An imperial Knight has a Unit Type (Vehicle (Super Heavy Walker))

Other Vehicle examples are

Land speeder - Vehicle (Fast Skimmer)

Rhino - Vehicle (Tank, Transport)

The argument for not doing it is based around Vehicle's not having a Leadership but the Power is written in 2 separate and distinct  Phases

Anyways if you can make an entire Baronial court Invisible then I don't see why you can't make them snap fire with a Psychic power?

I may be quoting a past edition, but I seem to remember that vehicles count as Ld10 for the purpose of Leadership checks. Vehicles do not need to take Morale checks (they count as Fearless), but they are still subject to Leadership tests. Correct me if I am wrong.

Vehicles as per page 78 of rulebook on Vehicle Leadership and morale, never take morale checks or Ld tests. The confidence of the crew on the armour plate is absolute.

The only exception is that a vehicle with psychic pilot (page 170) uses a Ld10 for his psyker tests.

So what does this mean?

Mind wipe can in fact reduce BS and WS of a vehicle or vehicle unit.

MInd wipe will never be permanent because since vehicles have no LD you either assume they pass the Ld test automatically or the Ld test can't occur at all because they have no ld to test against. This is independent to any Psyker pilot rules , that have only bearing to the vehicles own psyker phase.

• 2 weeks later...

To answer the part of your question in parentheses: I'm pretty sure that super-heavies are immune to all psychic powers other than witchfire powers with a weapon profile.

Not true anymore. Only the Imperial titans (Warhound on up) Have had that rule readded since it vanished.

Archived