Too few Death Company?

Montuhotep

As any Blood Angel worth his jump pack knows, there is no such things as 'too many' Death Company; but what about numbers at the lower end of the scale? I was thinking of running 6 jump pack'ers with a single powerfist as a harrassment unit.

Is this viable or should I beef the numbers up?

5-6 in a squad works very well when you're running a Strike Force Mortalis formation, as you get bonus attacks for being outnumbered. It's also useful if you're running a MSU list, where you're trying to feth up your opponent's target priority. Small units die faster, but they also hurt less when they die.

5-6 in a squad works very well when you're running a Strike Force Mortalis formation, as you get bonus attacks for being outnumbered. It's also useful if you're running a MSU list, where you're trying to feth up your opponent's target priority. Small units die faster, but they also hurt less when they die.

First thing I thought was Strike Force Mortalis, and 5-6 iin a unit are great in small games, 1000 points or so.

Whilst small units are good (I used to run only 5 man squads) you have to be careful that your main assault units aren't too easy to wipe out. Even if they lose a few numbers to shooting it can affect their damage outpout quite heavily later on as they aren't able to deal as much damage so spend more time taking damage from locked combats.

It's like a big downward spiral...

Thanks all.

I fear you must forgive me, though - Strike Force Mortalis?

Strike Force Mortalis - Three squads of death company, 2 DC dreadnoughts, 1 Chaplain & 1 Stormraven. They all have Crusader and they all get Rampage-lite, where if they don't already have Rampage they get +1 attack if outnumbered by the enemy. Can be an impressive boost to already killy DC squads.

This is somewhat random but reading the above post popped it into my mind: How on Baal are Death Company going to get the Rampage USR to begin with? The formation goes out of its way to say the effects can't stack, but parring the Chaplain rolling that one Warlord trait, its not going to be an issue. Its irksome that GW can get really specific on the rules on a next to nonexistent issue but fail to clarify so much else....

This is somewhat random but reading the above post popped it into my mind: How on Baal are Death Company going to get the Rampage USR to begin with? The formation goes out of its way to say the effects can't stack, but parring the Chaplain rolling that one Warlord trait, its not going to be an issue. Its irksome that GW can get really specific on the rules on a next to nonexistent issue but fail to clarify so much else....

Pretty much that one example you mentioned. Also to future proof or... Something. Who knows.

Archived