Death Company squad in a da army

GruntAngel

Hi guys,

I've been practicing with a few skirmishes to get a hang of the game and it's going well so far.

I managed to get my hand on another DA army for a good price to complete my detachements and formations (+ all the heroes). Among the lot there is a squad of death company with 2 TH and jet packs (10 models). I've read on a couple of forums that point wise they can be among the best close combat units in the game.

Anyone ever used them with a DA army? I can field pretty much everything aside a double demi since I don't nearly have enough rhinos and razorbacks.

Any suggestion would be welcome.

Thank you.

Well, unless you make an Unbound army, just a squad of Death Company is not enough to get an allied detachment of Blood Angels.

The best advice for incorporating them would be ensuring you are very clear on what role they are going to play in your army when you incorporate them and not using anything else that would occupy the same role, especially if the second unit is less points efficient. No point in overspending on a duplicate unit.

Well, unless you make an Unbound army, just a squad of Death Company is not enough to get an allied detachment of Blood Angels.

Making them Raphen's DC and adding a chaplain would get you a pretty cheap allied detachment. However you only get 5 DC with suboptimal weapon choices.

The best advice for incorporating them would be ensuring you are very clear on what role they are going to play in your army when you incorporate them and not using anything else that would occupy the same role, especially if the second unit is less points efficient. No point in overspending on a duplicate unit.

Isn't redundancy a good thing? 10 DC with two thunder hammers should mulch through pretty much anything. 8 S9 AP2 concussive and 40 S5 Ap - attacks on the charge really hurt.

Making them Raphen's DC and adding a chaplain would get you a pretty cheap allied detachment. However you only get 5 DC with suboptimal weapon choices

Probably my bad, but I assumed that the only equipment they had was the two Thunderhammers, so therefore wouldn't qualify to be selected/kitted as Raphen's DC.

Isn't redundancy a good thing? 10 DC with two thunder hammers should mulch through pretty much anything. 8 S9 AP2 concussive and 40 S5 Ap - attacks on the charge really hurt.

Not if you're spending more points on the redundant unit, especially if the second unit is less efficient. At that point you should just be spending the same points on a duplicate of the original unit.

Making them Raphen's DC and adding a chaplain would get you a pretty cheap allied detachment. However you only get 5 DC with suboptimal weapon choices

Probably my bad, but I assumed that the only equipment they had was the two Thunderhammers, so therefore wouldn't qualify to be selected/kitted as Raphen's DC.

Nah, not your fault. I just wanted to give some more options. You can magnetize the DC, even after having been assembled unless plastic cement was used.

Not if you're spending more points on the redundant unit, especially if the second unit is less efficient. At that point you should just be spending the same points on a duplicate of the original unit.

Yeah that is true. I wasn't sure though whtether the OP was going for maximum efficiency.

My chapter do not simply torture and kill the fallens; they force them to fight again until death bring them to their final judgement in front of the Emperor. Brainwashed and downright lobotomised in most cases they WILL atone for their sins.

I haven't read that concept anywhere else and I liked the idea, as extremely heretical as it can be. So here you go.

So I understand that stats wise it's possible to incorporate a DC but you are limited to 5 models you say? I really need to find a blood angels player in a store somewhere and look into the details with him. Thanks for the tips guys.

No. DC units go from 5 to 15 men with all sorts of options for wargear, but Shield of Baal: Deathstorm has a different datasheet of a specific DC unit called Raphens's DC it has only 5 models with a specific suboptimal loadout and jump packs. Raphen's DC is a Troops choice instead of an Elites choice as the normal DC.

You can field either or both. The number of regular DC units is only limited by your elites slots. Raphen's DC is one of a kind. To make them into a detachment and thus keep your army battle-forged you need some other units. With Raphen's DC that's only an HQ (chaplains work great) for the DC with options you need a troops choice as well to make an allied detachment.

If you are fine with an unbound army, just take a unit or two.

While you are waiting for a codex, battlescribe can help you figure this out.

Death company isnt that great. I had 10 + chappy assault 6 knights pre ap3 maces and the result was 11:0 in knights favor. After the required units for DC cad, your better off with a good unit like knights.

DC could be useful in small games, but my knights have stolen the show in 750 point games.

Archived