Epic battle on the horizon

Crazy Jay

Greetings. I'm heading into battle tomorrow to face the largest army of Chaos I'll ever see assembled. The game will be 5,000pts per side (we have rules about sharings points with team mates) and will pit me and my Dark Angles with my friend and his Grey Knights against a Demon army and a Chaos marine army. It should be an epic game and we just traded lists so the armies are locked in and I finally know what I'm facing.

Dark Angel Army

Lion's Blade Strike Force

Battle Demi Company

Chaplain (jump pack, plasma pistol)

3 x Tactical Squad (Melta Gun, Drop Pod)

Assault Squad (5 Jump Packs, 3 Plasma Pistols)

Devastator Squad (4 Lascannons)

Ravenwing Support Squadron

3 Landspeeders (1 Typhoon ML, 1 Assault cannon)

Landspeeder vengence

Command Choice

Asmodii (bear with me, I'll explain)

Combined Arms Detachment

Belial (Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield)

Librarian (Terminator Armor, ML2)

Tactical Squad

Tactical Squad (Razorback)

2 x Whirlwinds

Fire Raptor Gunship

Drop Pod

Macrocannon Aquila Strongpoint

Grey Knight army

Combined Arms Detachement

Draigo

Librarian (ML3, Domina Liber, Storm Bolter)

Librarian (ML3, Soul Glaive)

3 x Strike Squad (Psycannon)

Paladin Squad (7 extra bodies, Apothacary, 4 Psycannons, 9 Demon Hammers, Nemisis Banner)

2 x Nemisis Dreadknight (Teleporter, Psycannon, Psylencer, Demon Hammer)

Purgation Squad (2 extra bodies, 7 Falchion sets, 4 incenerators)

And here is the vile army that we are facing

Chaos Marine Army

Combined Arms Detachment

Ariman

2 x Chaos Terminators (Mark of Tzeench, Veterans of the long war, 5 combi meltas, chainfist)

Cultist (cultist champion, 9 cultists)

2 x Thousand Sons (9x marines, aspiring sorcerer, Rhino)

Thousand Sons (8x Marines, aspring sorcerer, Rhino)

2 x Helldrakes (baleflamer)

Defiler

Havok (4 Lascannons)

Havok (4 Missile Launcher, 4 flakk missile)

Chaos Demon Army

Combined Arms Detachment

Be'lkor (fighter ace)

Keeper of Secrets (Lesser reward, exalted reward)

Demonettes of Slanesh (20 demons, Icon of chaos, instrument of chaos)

3 x Pink Horrors (11 Pink horrors)

Demon Prince (Exalted Reward, Demonic Flight, warp forged armor, Mark of slaneesh)

Chaos Knight Errant (Dirge Caster, Demon of Khorne)

Alied Detachment

Demonic Heralds

-Herald of Tzeench (ML3, exalted reward, disc of tzeench)

-3 x Herald of Tzeench (ML3)

Nurglings

Screemers of Tzeench (9 screemers)

So first, let me explain a few things. Asmodii will be my warlord and with a tactical squad in the Aquila strongpoint firing the macrocannon and applying his ignores cover rule. Belial and my librarian will be with the big paladin squad, both the GK libys and Draigo for a massive deathstar. We're going to push hard for getting, using and keeping invis. The purgation squad will use my empty drop pod and my support squadron will be on hand to intercept the chaos terminators when they DS to come after my fortification. The Helldrakes will run rampant against our power armor guys but I'm hoping the fire Raptor will give them enough of a run for their money. I know Be'lkor will know invis, so I'm hoping to be able to go first and drop 2 D-weapon pie plates on him to end him quick. Other than that, I'm hoping for a fairly brutal alpha strike to reduce their effectiveness. The lists are set so there wont be any changing them, but I welcome any and all advice. I'll try to take notes so I can come back on Sunday and give as accurate a bat rep as I can. Thanks and wish us luck.

Most of the demons won't have any shooting and will be trying to get into CC. I've never brought full BS over watch before so that should come as a surprise. I know they are going to have to deal with Aquila and they only have a few options that can hurt it so taking them on first will be a priority. Also the lists are set in stone, so for better or worse, this it.

Most of the demons won't have any shooting and will be trying to get into CC. I've never brought full BS over watch before so that should come as a surprise. I know they are going to have to deal with Aquila and they only have a few options that can hurt it so taking them on first will be a priority. Also the lists are set in stone, so for better or worse, this it.

Only the nurgle won't shoot. Those tzeentch demons are packing a heavy bolter each. Also, thousand sons is purely shooting with nasty ranged psychic power. You're walking into a gun fight. Trust me, you want to be shooting or closing for the kill. You don't want to hope they assault you.

Well the game is over. We lost. We didn't get first turn, the warlord trait on the GKs that we wanted or invisibility. Our opponents were double casting invisibility which made things much more difficult. None of the demons were shooting anything but they were summoning so much, that they just wore us down. I think they started with 29 warp charges. Turn 1 they cast invis on the chaos knight and the defiler. They made the mistake of putting a unit behind their knight and I was able to hit the knight with a d-blast from the macro cannon. Turn 2 it charged our deathstar and while we killed it, it rolled a lot of 6s on the destroyer table and killed Belial, both GK Libys and a paladin. Then it killed more doing a titanic explosion. One of the biggest surprises came from the Thousand Sons units. I had know idea they had AP3 guns. They did quite a bit of damage. The other big factor is we never got into the back field to threaten the heralds of tzeench on bring down their psychic strength. I actually broke a couple charges firing overwatch at full BS and the macro cannon found worthwhile targets every round and was never really threatened. Also, Aversion helped gimp the Imperial knight till it died and then the defiler for the rest of the game.

Archived