Perfection and attrition, the eternal blog for the III Legio

01RTB01

Good morning all,

I've been playing 40k/30k for 22 years now (typing that makes me feel very old!) and I've always had a soft spot for the Emperor's Children. It all began when the first chaos codex came out in roughly 1999. The artwork of the noise marine as well as the short story of noise marines annihilating an imperial armoured column just grabbed me. As such I started with chaos and I'll not bore you (much more...). Time passed, armies came and went but the interest in the EC never diminished.

Fast forward to about 5 years ago and I started a "small project". FW had released some heresy marks of armour and having read fulgrim and loving the artwork from collected visions I knew what was coming. I picked up some mk iv and v armour and some cataphractii. These were sprinkled with some standard plastics and I had a small EC strike force. Then the bombshell came when fw said they were doing rules for heresy. The horus heresy for me has a similar romanticism as the gangster era in America. The fact fw were fleshing it out was a delight. The fact that the beloved third got shown in the first book was joyous and delightful.

Due to finance I started with a pride of the legion force that has evolved over the years to the list you see below. Some is painted, some part painted. As a dad of a 16 month old, teacher and husband time is limited. as such fw may get to terra before I get this lot painted. However, I wanted to share the journey and look for focus and encouragement. I'm looking for a table top standard force as I'm no golden demon painter. There's so much inspiration on these boards I felt it was time to join. Wish me luck and thanks for reading the waffle!

My collection...

Lord of War

Fulgrim the Illuminator

"Fulminata 5 Phoenix Guard Terminators - ""Phoenix Champion Victrix"""

Apothecary Fabius + artificer armour + power sword

Transport """The Emperor's Pride"" Spartan Assault Tank

HQ Lord Commander Eidolon + Jump Pack

HQ Legion champion + artificer armour + power fist + jump pack

Elites 10 Palatine Blades + 3 Phoenix Power Spears + Melta Bombs + Jump Packs

HQ Chaplain + Artificer armour + Jump Pack

HQ """Praetor Teleos"" + Cataphractii Armour + Paragon Blade + Volkite Charger + Digi-lasers + Sonic Shrieker"

Elites """The Ustalik"" 5 Cataphractii Terminators ""Sergeant Brutus"""

1 x Combi-plasma + Chainfist (Vet Sergeant)

3 x Combi-plasma + Power Axe

1x Reaper Autocannon + Power axe

Transport Anvillus pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod

Elites """ Squad Parthica"" 10 Tartaros Terminators ""Sergeant Maximus"" + Grenade Harness"

1 x Combi-plasma + Phoenix Power Spear (Vet Sergeant)

2 x Plasma Blaster + Chainfist

6 x Combi-bolters + Chainfist

1 x Combi-bolters + Thunder hammer

Elites 10 Veteran Tactical Marines + Sniper + 2 Plasma Guns

Elites 10 Legion Terminators + Cataphractii armour + Grenade harness

Combi plasma + power fist

Combi plasma + chain fist

Combi plasma + lightning claw

Pair of lightning claws

Plasma blaster + chainfist

Combi plasma + power fist

Combi plasma + chain fist

Combi plasma + lightning claw

Pair of lightning claws

Plasma blaster + chainfist

Elites """Brother Flavius"" Contemptor Dreadnough + 2 x Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons"

Contemptor Dreadnought + 2 Twin-linked Volkite Culverins

Contemptor + Kheres Pattern Assault Cannon

Elites 3 Quad Mortars

Troops 16 man tac squad + extra combat weapons + vox + vexilia + artificer + power weapon

Troops 16 man tac squad + extra combat weapons + vox + vexilia + artificer + lightning claw

Troops "Tactical Support Squad x 10 + 10 Plasma guns + ""Sergeant "" + Artificer Armour "

Troops "Tactical Support Squad Cyrenaica x 8 + 8 Volkite Calivers + ""Sergeant Titus"" Artificer Armour "

Troops """The Enlightened - The Kakophoni"" 9 Chora + 1 Orchestrator"

Troops """The Kakophoni"" 9 Chora + 1 Orchestrator"

Fast Attack """Xerxes"" Primaris-Lightning Strike Fighter + 6 Kraken penetrator heavy missiles + Battle Servitor Control + Ground-tracking auguries"

HQ Consul + Siege Breaker + Artificer Armour + Combi-Plasma

Heavy Heavy Support Squad x 10 + 10 Lascannons

Heavy """Sarissa"" Deimos vindicator laser destroyer + armoured ceramite"

Heavy Scorpius Whirlwind

Heavy Achilles Alpha

Heavy Leviathan Siege Dreadnought + Phosphex Launcher

Heavy Sicaran Venator + Heavy bolter sponsons

LoW Legion Glaive Super-Heavy Special Weapons Tank + Armoured Ceramite

Pics forthcoming...

I've nearly finished the Achilles then it'll be building the quads, second half of the tartaros squad. Once built I'm going to get a tac squad finished then kakophoni - hold me to it!

Thanks in advance for the support!

Cheers Kizz, much appreciated. It's taken a while to get this far. In all honesty, it was an accident! I love the legion specific models and I think that the Phoenix terminators, kakophoni and palatines are the nicest legion specific units around. Also I'd no expectation of eidolon being released, when I saw the pic from the open day I was blown away. Clearly rocket pack and cloak is odd but he looks awesome :)

I seem unable to post pics on my phone so I'll have to sort out my laptop or have a go Monday morning :)

• 2 weeks later...

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g392/rtb01/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG1571_zpsm83o1i6u.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g392/rtb01/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG1572_zpsqeco5pgz.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g392/rtb01/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG1573_zpssvmksc8n.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g392/rtb01/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG1676_zpsx9ss7a6h.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g392/rtb01/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG1677_zpsr44yerfd.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g392/rtb01/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG1678_zpsfngpote3.jpg

Assuming the pics have uploaded...

In the past week I've managed to get most of a 16 man tac squad done. Unsure on the green bolter casings. What do you think?

They need tidying up, basing and a few details finishing but I'm happy with how things are looking.

I've got a mix of fw kakophoni and 3rd party bits to have some variety. The official kakophoni are beautiful but quote limited by poses.

Question is, after tac squad do I get my palatines done, or get the kakophoni sorted?... That said, I may get the second half of my tartaros built. Time and decisions!

Thanks for stopping by :)

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g392/rtb01/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG1359_zps1d0kqzli.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g392/rtb01/IMAG0764_zpsaeu6u3wl.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g392/rtb01/IMAG0765_zpsdag8dfx0.jpg

Build in progress kakophoni and eidolon. I thoroughly enjoyed eidolon and I'm really pleased with how he came out. I'm no great painter but I'm determined to have an army painted I'm happy with and I'm slowly getting there!

Any thoughts most welcome :)

Those are some badass pink marines. I really like the Dread and the jumppack.

Thank you very much :) the dread and chaplain were fab to paint. The leviathan is definitely stompy and a huge model! Just need to get hold of a ride for it...

I just missed the 2nd post =P

Great looking marines, not too sure about the green bolters thou.  Maybe gold/brass, cyan or yellow would be more fitting? Something bright.

Looks like you put quite some effort in Eidolon. It's a pity the pictures are a bit blurry.

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g392/rtb01/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG1701_zps3orhmn8f.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g392/rtb01/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG1703_zps8g6zoycs.jpg

Evenin all! Wife out when I got home so rapidly knocked out a kakophoni squad. I've got ten genuine kakophoni but didn't want 20 as there's limited variety. This gives me 20 kakophoni that are varied. May use raptor heads for the back 5 but unsure. Any thoughts?!

Good work across the board, but I particularly like the choice of the new BA Chaplain for a EC conversion. The model fits like a glove.

But these fellas deserve finished bases, don't you think? ;)

Thank you for the compliments :) they could do with finished paint jobs first :p I do love the chaplain model - as soon as I saw the leaks for it I knew it'd fit and couldn't be a blood angels chaplain :)

I'm hoping to finish the tac squad before the end of the week and weather permitting get the kakophoni undercoated.

For basing I was thinking gravelly type bases. I'm no basing expert so any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, more time passes and oddly more hobby gets done! This week I have mostly built a proteus, tartaros squad leader and added 3 Phoenix spears to the palatine blades. The tac marines need basing and decals but otherwise done.

I tried a decal today but wasn't happy with the outcome so ordered some micro sol and micro set to see how that goes.

I'm also starting a campaign with a mate this weekend which I'm looking forward to. It's narrative driven and will include progression as per book 4 or 5 - memory :D We're starting at 2500 points so below is my list with named units and characters. This wee list will be therefore the painting priority. First game is this Sunday...

"""Legate Sulla"" [Consul Delegatus] + Charnabal Sabre + Artificer armour + Sonic Shrieker + Refractor"

"""The Hastati Primus"" 15 man tac squad + extra combat weapons + vox + vexilia + ""Decanus Aurelian"" + artificer + power weapon"

"""Chaplain Parmenides"" + Artificer armour + Jump Pack + Sonic shrieker"

"""The Phoenician's Pride""10 Palatine Blades + ""Prefector Cyrus"" + 3 Phoenix Power Spears + Jump Packs + Sonic shriekers"

""" Squad Parthica"" 5 Tartaros Terminators ""Sergeant Maximus"""

1 x Combi-plasma + Phoenix Power Spear (Vet Sergeant)

1x Plasma Blaster + Chainfist

2 x Combi-bolters + 2 Power fists

1 x Combi-plasma + power fist

"""The Enlightened"" - Kakophoni"" 9 Chora + 1 Orchestrator"

"""The Dreamweavers"" Kakophoni 9 Chora + 1 Orchestrator"

"""Pax Perfectus"" Land Raider Proteus + pintle mounted heavy bolter + armoured ceramite"

"""The Fury of Chemos"" Achilles Alpha Land Raider"

"""Sarissa"" - Sicaran Venator + Heavy Bolter sponsons"

"""Balistarius Omega"" 2 Quad Mortars"

Thanks for stopping by and for your thoughts. The force is representing a task force from the 3rd company (vairosean's) so the delegatus is representing his will and power hence the Kakophoni as troops as per the new RoW :) can't wait!

Modelling update... I've near enough finished basing the tac squad and they just need decals. I'm waiting for replacement parts to finish the venator. I've also built my tartaros champ, proteus and wip of Sulla.

I've also figured out my force in terms of fighting style and fluff, I'll be having to have some breachers at some stage for it to fully work! My delegatus fought at the final stages of the battle against the laer alongside vairosean. He also felt the burden of failure as this was made clear by Marius. Consequently gives himself over to fabius and wholly embraces the new direction the legion has taken. Following dodgy surgery and self mutilation he has a slightly withered left arm which serves as a constant reminder of his failure. This has pushed him to strive for greater feats. Fanatically loyal to Marius he is at the forefront of the 3rd company's campaigns and on this occasion goes with the full authority of Marius Vairosean and has a core of Kakophoni at the forefront of his force. I think it works :)

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g392/rtb01/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG1748_zpsvsxyjkjp.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g392/rtb01/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG1755_zpsx4krshkp.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g392/rtb01/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG1784_zps5pumyc4a.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g392/rtb01/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG1785_zpszujnkz4w.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g392/rtb01/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG1785_zpslmiqy8j6.jpg

Just need it to warm up so I can undercoat!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Are you going pink very the Noise marines or going crazy with them?

I'll be going with all the colours :) same as the Kakophoni pictured with the leviathan.

Got a campaign game today so should be fun! I'll take pics and report later. My mate's salamanders are a beautiful army. I'm getting there bit by bit. Any encouragement is most welcome as this is the longest I've sustained a project for and will see it to the end! (Terra!)

Well... Legate Sulla's first campaign game in charge. How did it go...

Legate Sulla's force had been dispatched to wipe out the forces of Kai'pach. Kai'pach had managed to escape the slaughter of Istvaan V and Captain Varosean had dispatched Sulla to crush the traitors before they could spread word of the the enlightenment of the III and other legions...

Kai'pach had crash landed and rendezvous with a salamanders siege company. Sulla's forces made their landing via stormbird and deployed just beyond the traitor's crash site.

Sulla deployed to the centre left alongside the Hastati Primus tactical squad. He was flanked by 2 groups of kakophoni, the heart of the 3rd company elite. His right flank was spearheaded by an Achilles alpha and a proteus containing terminators. Shadowed behind them, palatine blades with accompanying chaplain. Behind the main force was deployed a pair of quad mortars and a sicaran venator for support.

Arrayed before them was an entrenched tactical squad. The downed thunderhawk obscured most of the emperor's children left flank. In the wreckage was Kai'pach with his retinue. Beyond them in the compound was a pair of castellax with forge Lord and a small support squad. Beyond the tactical squad in the centre was a trio of graviton cannons...

The emperor's children led the charge. Both the centre and right moved into position. A slight bottleneck being formed. If the III were to advance, they were going to need to eliminate the tactical squad before them. The emperor's children forces opened fire...

Despite the volume of fire arrayed against them the tactical marines suffered minimal casualties. The protection afforded them by the defences was impressive. Sulla signalled the kakophoni and they unleashed a choir too terrible to behold. In the initial volley the salamanders lost 4 to their number. Reeling from the assault their minds were assailed by the darkness beyond and a further 5 lost their minds to the madness within. However, the salamanders stood, resolute and defiant.

The salamanders responded... The castellax, Kai'pach and support squad moved into position. The tactical marines traded fire with the emperor's children tacticals. Minimal losses. The graviton cannons targeted the emperor's children armour, damaging both the proteus and Achilles. The bottleneck meaning they were easy targets. Out of nowhere debris fell from the sky amongst the emperor's children. Thankfully casualties were minimal.

The emperor's children again moved forwards, wary of the proximity of Kai'pach and his command squad. As the III advanced there was a scream of metal and fire falling from the sky. Huge pieces of debris narrowed from orbit and landed among the graviton cannons and castellax. When the smoke cleared one castellax had near been cleaved in twain, two graviton crew had disappeared, torn to pieces. Another round of fire, a smattering of casualties. The combined fire of proteus, Achilles and kakophoni finished the crippled castellax and managed to fell the second. Aided by the devastating beam from the venator. The salamanders had been bloodied but Sulla was concerned at the lack of progress as well as their resolve. Reports were coming in of reputed reinforcements for the salamanders, time was short, the attack must be pressed...

Minimal casualties again for the emperor's children, time to attack! Parminedes led the assault against the tactical marines. In a flurry of blades and sonic screams the children of the emperor slaughtered their for relentlessly and the tactical marines were finally crushed. Proud of their victory, their arrogance cost them. From behind a bunker strode a contemptor, from the flank, Kai'pach and his command squad charged, the fury of Vulkan in their hearts. Parminedes and his squad fought gallantly but they paid for their arrogance with their lives. Worse, a Spartan rolled from over the horizon and as assault squad arrived to reinforce the salamanders centre. Thankfully the contemptor was stopped following fire from the quad mortars and Achilles, a degree of vengeance!

The proteus and venator targeted the Spartan, desperate to stop it delivering its cargo... Their fire barely scratched the paint. As it rolled forwards the graviton cannons barked again. The fire too powerful and overloading the systems and machine spirits of both the proteus and Achilles. As he surveyed the field of battle Sulla felt as though the tide was turning. As he surveyed his forces a plume of smoke and fire tore the venator apart as it was lanced by quad lascannons and grav.

The terminators strode from the carcass of the proteus, ready to take on whatever was disgorged...

The kakophoni distracted by the rapid movement of the assault squad turned their attention on them. Several fell to the cacophony as it rent their armour and flesh. The rest, bar 2, had their minds explode in a shower of bone and gore as they succumbed to the darkness of the madness beyond.

As this took place the doors of the Spartan opened and disgorged a unit of firedrakes... Fury in their hearts they launched themselves at the emperor's children terminators. The emperor's children were slaughtered mercilessly. Sulla's remaining forces engaged the firedrakes with all they had. The firedrakes stood firm without loss. They continued their relentless slaughter into Sulla and his tacticals. At this point Sulla decided victory was his. The strength of the salamanders had been ascertained and it was time to remove his august presence from the battlefield. Kai'pach may consider this a victory as he suffered few losses and inflicted heavy casualties on the III, each in entitled to their opinion...

Pictures will be in the below post. Great game using a scenario from book 5. The nature of the battlefield meant I had to go through a narrow gap and I was surprised and impressed by the tactical squads resilience! Grouping vehicles when grav cannons are about was a terrible idea! Phase 2 of our campaign will hopefully happen during the Easter holidays. Kai'pach must die otherwise Marius may be none too impressed!

Hope you enjoyed the read and forthcoming pics. Apologies in advance for their quality!

Archived