How are Dark Angels these days?

Merellin

So, I'v been wanthing another marine army and I'v considerd Crimson Fists and Salamanders as they are in the vanilla codex and thus will always be up to date so to say, But, Thinking of it, All other marine players in my gaming group uses the vanilla codex.. (Exept one who uses the chaos marine codex) Then I rememberd Dark Angels, Would be cool since they are the rivals of my Space Wolves, And they have cool models like the Interrogator-Chaplain and Deathwing Knights.. And I do have the Dark Angels part of a Dark Vengeance Box laying arround here somewhere..

So, How are Dark Angels these days? Are they fun to play? Are there any units to avoid in the codex?

If you take a look around this forum and the army lists forum you can see DAare alive and kicking. Fun to play and competitive... Plus if you take away some characters (like in every codex!), there are really no stinkers and everything is playable.

Your generic Space Marine is the equivalent of the utility player, with different chapter tactics you can make him better at different things

If you look at the latest edition of the Dark Angels Codex it doesn't do that what it tries to achieve is Synergies, example the Dark Shroud Blocks Overwatch and causes fear one of the Interomancy discipline powers makes you roll on 3D6 for Fear Morale and Pinning.

There are lots of these little nuggets of pure gold scattered all over the codex, the Warlord traits for example if your taking one of the main characters the preset one's are huge, Ezekiel 12" Fearless bubble and Sammael with his + 3" run/charge movement

So don't look at DA the way you would an SM Codex Chapter is what I'm saying

Also if your into your painting and modeling we have boat load of customization available

comp mast3

librarian2

We are still the grimmest and darkest of the loyal astartes, that alone is the thing that keeps us awesome.

Our power level has not been this good for several editions, it seems weird to not be the underdog on the table except vs cheesehammers. It is a real pleasure to be able to play most units and know they can contribute.

As Chaplain Lucifer says, there are a couple of stinkers in the HQ section, also the DW are a little overpriced, weird and limiting with their formations but still playable (for termies in 7th). Everything else is really well balanced and you can get some enjoyment out of them no problems.

DA are very interesting to play with because you have to take on several tactics to win. Its not like tau just staying back and shooting. And with the ravenwing you have some interesting and brutal units/synergies.

And of course the models look awesome ^^

Buy another vengeance box and your ready to go

I might be able to get a friends Dark Angels for a good price. He has the Dark Vengeance models (Including the limited edition chaplain) plus a bunch of extra bikes and marines and veterans. He painted most of them but never actualy played with them. I'l be finding out what he wants for them on sunday.

DA are very interesting to play with because you have to take on several tactics to win. Its not like tau just staying back and shooting. And with the ravenwing you have some interesting and brutal units/synergies.

And of course the models look awesome ^^

Well...tau don't stick back and shoot, that's IG. Some of the most scary tau stuff has to get within 18" to do its job, and jet packs aren't really gunline stuff anyway, they're "dancing in and out of cover to entice you into a trap" stuff. But, yeah, awesome aesthetics!

Well DA are darkly angelic.........muahahahaha

The grimdarkest of the grimdark, as we ever have been tongue.png

• 3 weeks later...

This is exactly what I was going to post so I thought I just ask here. I have 2 DV sets in the mail, how effective would this be as a starting point and would that roughly put me around 1k?

I haven't played 40k since 5th, so unsure how 40k works now a days. I recently saw what happend to whfb. Would appreciate any answers to my questions and I'm sure more will follow.

The DV set is a pretty good place to start and you could easily build a 1,000 point list from 2 of them, you'd likely be a tad over 1k in fact with a few upgrades.

As for an effective army I'm thinking you could only really get away with a CAD (the 'standard' primary detachment in the 7th edition rulebook) with what you own.

Which to be honest is also a nice place to start considering you'll have a little green, a little black & a little bone. A few games with this variety should give you an idea what you like and how you want your force to evolve.

Where you go from here is entirely up to you and what you like most.

So, I'v been wanthing another marine army and I'v considerd Crimson Fists and Salamanders as they are in the vanilla codex and thus will always be up to date so to say, But, Thinking of it, All other marine players in my gaming group uses the vanilla codex.. (Exept one who uses the chaos marine codex) Then I rememberd Dark Angels, Would be cool since they are the rivals of my Space Wolves, And they have cool models like the Interrogator-Chaplain and Deathwing Knights.. And I do have the Dark Angels part of a Dark Vengeance Box laying arround here somewhere..

So, How are Dark Angels these days? Are they fun to play? Are there any units to avoid in the codex?

Much, much better than they were even just an edition ago. Some stuff doesn't work though due to Codex writer quality dropping a bit (like playing a pure Deathwing army) unless it's been FAQ'd, but a Ravenwing army especially is pretty solid. 

Although I wouldn't really advise DV, because you won't be using the Chaos Models, Deathwing IMO is fairly useless compared to Ravenwing, and as snapfit it's a bit more of a pain to convert to equip grav guns or plasma guns. But Ravenwing this edition is REALLY good. Re-roll 3+ jinks? Yes please.

I knew Ravenwing were always good, I know Deathwing can be good. I totally forgot that Greenwing got a major buff this edition.

My Daemon infantry died horribly to Supreme Fire Discipline from a plain DA Demi-Company + Scouts last game.

Archived