Dark Angels and Plasma

Ptolemy

I already have a small Deathwing army (as yet unpainted, I have other models before them in the queue), but I'm planning on creating a Battle Company of Unforgiven in the coming year(s). In order to do this how I'd like to do it, I have to ask the questions:

Why are the Dark Angels always portrayed as dripping with Plasma weaponry? Do they really have so much more than every other Chapter that they can just plaster it on every possible squad member who can take it, or is it purely aesthetic from the view of Games Workshop?

"Give them all plasma guns! They're totally Grim-Dark!"

Plasma is considered old tech. DA is supposed to have a surplus of old tech. So plasma. Then they started making it into the rules. Like 3rd ed we were the only ones with Plasma cannon option for Tactical Squads.

More or less it comes down to old/ancient tech is what we have a lot of and Plasma is supposed to be so PLASMA PLASMA PLASMA
lol

Even the Vengeance speeder info in the codex says it. For long centuries the chapter had the Ancient Relic weapons known as the Plasma Storm Batteries.

It's like American Pickers in space. Look at this ancient old thing we found. Gotta have it.  PLASMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Step 1 : jervis makes a badly designed v3 codex and the studio looked for ideas to make it better.

Step 2 : they comes to the B&C with idea of "old weaponry plasma thing". Some B&C members suggested that autocannons should be more "old like" but this bothered GW a little as this meant sculpting a new model for only one purpose, while allowing the plasma cannon meant extending the use of a weapon that was limited to devastator only.

Step 3 : ignoring the autocannon suggestion and allow plasma cannon to DA tacticals.

Step 4 : allowing plasma cannon to vanilla tacticals and therefore negating this DA particularity.

Step 5 : let Jervis write a bad v4 codex (again) and let the studio paint every single model with a plasma weapon of any sort.

Step 6 : getting rid of Jervis for writing a good DA codex and givr this stuff to young studio members ignoring the step 1->3. Let them think that DA = plasma according to the models photo and let them create plasma bikers and plasma termi. Let also paint MOAR plasma for the v6 codex.

Step 7 : create grav weaponry that is older than plasma and let it appear in HH books but forget to give it to the 1st legion in 40k.

Step 8 : release a v7 codex that solves the latter problem.

Simple recipe huh?

Yes, like Harleqvin said we are supposed to have caches of old tech, unfortunately it only translated so far in plasma and few things else... Maybe the future will change that...

well we had other things but they kept making them as common as heck amongst other marines because if you dont bundle new things into generic marine boxs and give them to everyone they cant sell things, heaven forbid that rules sell models as opposed to things inside the physical box

Step 1 : jervis makes a badly designed v3 codex and the studio looked for ideas to make it better.

Step 2 : they comes to the B&C with idea of "old weaponry plasma thing". Some B&C members suggested that autocannons should be more "old like" but this bothered GW a little as this meant sculpting a new model for only one purpose, while allowing the plasma cannon meant extending the use of a weapon that was limited to devastator only.

Step 3 : ignoring the autocannon suggestion and allow plasma cannon to DA tacticals.

Step 4 : allowing plasma cannon to vanilla tacticals and therefore negating this DA particularity.

Step 5 : let Jervis write a bad v4 codex (again) and let the studio paint every single model with a plasma weapon of any sort.

Step 6 : getting rid of Jervis for writing a good DA codex and givr this stuff to young studio members ignoring the step 1->3. Let them think that DA = plasma according to the models photo and let them create plasma bikers and plasma termi. Let also paint MOAR plasma for the v6 codex.

Step 7 : create grav weaponry that is older than plasma and let it appear in HH books but forget to give it to the 1st legion in 40k.

Step 8 : release a v7 codex that solves the latter problem.

Simple recipe huh?

Step 7/9: Introduce Horus Heresy and volkites. 

So where would I look to find more information on these "caches of old tech"? Are there any particular books that I could be looking at? I can't seem to find much in the Dark Angels Codex itself, besides a few references in specific places (The Land Speeder Vengeance being one of them).

Also, is there a chronology anywhere of ages of tech? Since if Grav-tech is older than plasma-tech, it would stand to reason that Dark Angels should have large caches of that too - so any other similarly aged, or older tech, should also be more abundant for them.

Most of it is all over the place, but 30k is a good place to start. A lot of things that existed in 30k weren't actually conceived during that time. Remodelled and adapted more likely and DA seemed to have been hoarding 30k wargear and equipent.

Even older tech, from the Dark Age of Technology, is called Archeotech. Google it and you will find quite a bit of info, though I doubt that DA have a whole lot of that. I assume, anyway, who the hell knows what they have in their vaults. For all we know they could have everything in there from Archeotech weaponry to my missing left sock.

So where would I look to find more information on these "caches of old tech"? Are there any particular books that I could be looking at? I can't seem to find much in the Dark Angels Codex itself, besides a few references in specific places (The Land Speeder Vengeance being one of them).

Also, is there a chronology anywhere of ages of tech? Since if Grav-tech is older than plasma-tech, it would stand to reason that Dark Angels should have large caches of that too - so any other similarly aged, or older tech, should also be more abundant for them.

Actually the "old tech thing" is totally false

Plasma is not an "old tech", if it was, it wouldn't overheat.

The old tech thing concerned first the plasma cannon. The problem is : plasma cannon was a new tech at that time. It was mounted on the dreadnought because dreads were the "tester" of new weapons : they could support all the necessary cooling and security systeme that a new weapon needs.

This explains why CSM hasn't plasma cannon but chaos dread has.

Plasma = old shouldN't be taken seriously. This was just a badly designed explanantion that appears now really unjustified when you see grav and volkite weaponry appaearing...

Archived