Help painting ravenwing bikes, predator, and dark talon

Dukeawesome1

Hello fellow battle brothers, I'm currently painting my first army, but have come to a bump. While painting my ravenwing bikes I have no clue which citadel paint for the tires. I'm using an abaddon black for the armour and bike body. Also, I'm also worried about priming my dark talon and predator. I'm afraid of painting the top side of the predator and waiting to dry to do the bottom, but the the spray will look uneven where spraying the top meets the bottom. For the dark talon, I dnot want to spray the clear stand for the ship, any ideas. I appreciate any feed back and all help is appreciated.

Tires I go with the same colour although GW say chaos black primer and Abaddon black are not the same I haven't seen the difference, maybe I need new glasses... or sealer blends them well.

If you are painting the predator green over the primer it should blend ok but many people these days have gone for spray guns.

I sprayed my talon/neph in parts, the inner cockpit which was painted and attached to the rest then I taped the canopy area and sprayed the entire thing assembled. You can always wrap tape around the stand as well to avoid spraying it.

I simply left the Talons stand off when painting it, it pushes in and out easily, which makes it easier to transport.

I too go with the same black for the tires and armour on the bikes.

As for spraying the tanks, I always do the top and sides, let it dry, then spray the bottom, and have yet to have any issues with it.

Black matt undercoat - dark grey drybrush on the sides and running portion of the tyre - black wash all over it. Unfortunatelly I am not using GW range so cannot suggest the exact colour names, but you get the idea.

Pigments along the base if applicable.

With the drybrush, you're aiming for this effect so the tyre isn't flat black, especially on mostly-all-black model.

http://www.militarymodelling.com/sites/1/images/member_albums/42220/photo%204.jpg

edit - spelling.

You could do with a Tub of weathering powder

Use it on the Tread and a bit on the lower area gives the look of Mud splashing up also go light mud to contrast the black, I've also gone with the grassy Plains but I think the mix I used was autumn + mud so its not got a lot of green on the bases

It also means you can weather your wheels best thing to do is look at a proper Wheel that has been through the mud say a bike

If you don't want to get the powder you could experiment with a stippling brush 

Thanks everybody for th feedback. Does anybody have an idea to make a Librarian on a bike? In the codex it says you can take one, but can't find the certain model.

Hexagon Sun posted the following in his thread! May save you some searching:

No worries, I basically watching this tutorial and then did my own amendments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnozkqHSKlw

I used the DV sergeants arm so he's got one hand on the handlebars and a different left arm, but the rest is more or less as that video. I need to do some greenstuffing to fill in gaps around the right arm and torso as it's not the most precise fit. There's a few bits you can trim down on the waist/legs to get a better fit, but it's just a case of trying it yourself as I was on for at least half an hour trimming it down and testing it again.

I would take some photos but it's quite hard to get it to see it once it's been glued!

Just to add a note to the excellent link above when I was watching it a number of things came to mind about converting and modeling so I took a pic of my essentials

essential tools

In no particular order

SupaTool - a hobby knife with a difference solid metal construction to clamp the blade stopping the usual wobbles and flexes, I've tried a number of cheap options and would recommend this over anything else it really makes a difference having full control over your cuts

Green Stuff

Plastic tube

Clamps - can't live without them cheap and very useful

Magnets - assortment of sizes shapes and strengths

Elastic bands - a real boon when assembling Vehicles

Paper Clips - cut them for pins, generally pin anything that you can get away with

Saw - I splashed out on a GW one very fine teeth on it

Not on is my needle files, plasticard

Hope this helps

SnakeChisler's list is a good one, I add an old toothbrush to that list; cut the bristles down so they are about 5-6mm long and they are really good for getting the shavings/swarf out of the model and can help you start to smooth the finish down. I also recommend some 'wet and dry' sandpaper at about 600 and 1200 grit to get the fine detail finish on bits you've cut off/shaped. Don't forget good model clippers too, they get the large chunks of stuff you don't want - fast!

Archived