Corax conversion

So, I've decided to return to the armies of the imperium with the release of the new corax model,

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Corvus-Corax

which I think is awesome. 

While i like the Raven Guard chapter fluff, the lack of jump pack command squad or jump pack honor guard rubs me the wrong way.  

So here we are, with the BA codex:  I want to use him for my count as Dante, for my home brew chapter: the Obsidian Eagles

Basic fluff for the eagles is:

something something fleet biased chapter

something something special battle barge chapter base that is an "aircraft carrier" battle barge with even more launch bays than a regular battle barge (which I know is already a carrier style craft so the amount of launch bays would be ridiculous) 

something something  loads of Xiphon Interceptors, Storm Ravens and Storm Eagles (like 10 times the air support of any other chapter)

something something no black rage or death company ever (I hate them, its a hold over from 3rd edition but I HATES THEM SO)

So to the question.  What suggestions would you have for converting him for a more Dante appropriate stand in?  Do you think swapping the arms would be appropriate,  or keeping them as LC would work?   Any suggestions on which kits to swap arms from would be appreciated.   

As far as my initial idea, it was a simple swap for his left hand (the one with the pistol) to the pointing had from the devastator kit, changing the raven themed  stuff to eagle themed stuff, removing the pistol from his belt (unsure if i need to remove the whip, could make a cool digital weapon)

Thoughts, suggestions, comments please.

I think the main problem with this is that Corax is HUGE! He's a Primarch after all and will tower over everything else in your army, not to mention his base is still quite tall. So unless your counts as character is as tall as a Primarch I'm not sure this will work. That's just what my 2p though if you want to do it, DO IT! I think Primarch conversions are pretty cool, though people tend to do that for alternate heresy Primarchs or their lost legion Primarchs.

tl;dr: If you really want to, then go for it! But keep in mind the size difference.

The hands and weapons won't be the right scale. Relic blades from vanguard kit or glaives encarmine might be big enough for one handed primarch weapons. Maybe a combo melta would look like an infernus pistol if held in one primarch hand. But the hands attached to those weapons will look too small

Excited to see how you do it!

As others have said, your main issue is that Primarchs and Marines are both on two different scales. It's not just a case of the model being taller and cutting down the base, but that they're just generally larger, so an Astartes hand attached would look a little small on the model.

I mean, it sounds awesome if you can pull it off, but the conversion isn't going to be as simple as just lowering the model and doing some part swaps.

I gotchya, thanks for the advice, but I have enough faith in my sculpting skills that I think i can make it. I thought that might be the case but I can always go with the "hes a mountain of a space marine" like that one CM, terminator guy, with the Greek mythical creature.... I forget the name of the chapter. That guy.

Anyone know the scale of the primarcs (or however its spelt), I know when i started the hobby 'o so many years ago it was 28mm scale, but with the newer models i think they re-addressed what that means, I.E. old space marines models are smaller than the new ones, only slightly, to allow for size increase in other ranges, but still maintaining the "28mm" scale. 

Ah, i didn't think that it would be that big of a difference, well once i get the model I'll do some un-boxing photos.  I'm sure once i have it in my hand I'll know what to do at the very least i got the jump pack, which is really why i got the thing in the first place.  Hopefully its salvageable/separate enough to make a simple conversion, but we'll see.  Thanks for the info its been very helpful.

The photos from Forge World are pretty deceptive in that way. You could still make an awesome conversion, but you'd have a hard time using Marine parts on it. Depending on the finished product, if you have it on the higher base you could even have it looking like he's not too much bigger, despite the actual difference.

I look forward to seeing what you can do with it. :)

Ah, i didn't think that it would be that big of a difference, well once i get the model I'll do some un-boxing photos. I'm sure once i have it in my hand I'll know what to do at the very least i got the jump pack, which is really why i got the thing in the first place. Hopefully its salvageable/separate enough to make a simple conversion, but we'll see. Thanks for the info its been very helpful.

You could try playing around with Storm Cast Eternal hands from the Age of Sigma range. The armoured gauntlets that the Paladins etc have are pretty bulky, and bling enough to pass for artificer armour hands.

Also they have the cool lingering scrolls that act as a means of suspending the models in the air (I forget which subgroup of models do that, but know I have seen then somewhere).

Also their hammers, axes, spears etc are v.big so scale should work for a "custom power weapon". You would however have to cut out the hand and then reattach a new weapon so clean lines will be important, and a lot of fidly gluing, fileing, and filling involved.

Then of course you'd need to get rid of the Storm Cast decoration and replace it with imperial stuff (so delicate scalpel and file work).

But scale wise, hands, weapons, primarch parts should fit together.

Like everyone has said above, conversion parts size can be an issue. I've started converting Vulcan into Nassir Amit but I'm struggling to find arms that don't look stupidly weedy, so I'm going to do need to do some sculpting work.

However, i very much look forward to seeing your conversion.

The dark furies aren't half bad either. KInda like to play the shadowstrike kill team just to field those guys and kit bash a bit of VV bling. I can only pray to the emperor that the Sanguinary guard are done as well when they drop. I am holding off buying any Sanguinary guard till FW release theirs.

On a side note someone on the RG forums thinks the corvax model looks like George bush jnr.

Thanks for the sigmarines suggestion, I'll take a look and see if i get any inspiration. That knight-venator bow looks pretty cool, so does the eagle.... who knows, but i'll keep everyone posted. 

@Slangwanger;  have you tried terminator arms for your Vulcan conversion?  They are bigger then the standard marine arm and i was curious how they stacked up? 

Archived