DG Help- 6/2 Phosphex Death List

RedInventor

So while I wait for the VI's rules and models to come out, I have been swayed to the traitor side with some beautiful armies thrown up in the AoD thread. So I have been going back and forth on Death Guard and Iron Warriors, Death Guard won out due to their paint scheme. So now I want to build a Death Guard force, yet I suck at list making. So I thought I'd throw it out to my brothers on the B&C to help me start a list! So if you have any ideas or if you ever wanted to try a list that you haven't had the money to try, help me out! Can't wait to hear some ideas, I was looking to use as many of the unique units as possible as well. I also really want a mastodon!

Ok, so you may change your mind about your Rite of War choice after Book VI hits this weekend, but here goes...

"The Reaping" has quite a few serious drawbacks, but some funky benefits too:

- not being able to Run or go Flat Out limits your mobility a lot, so it's my opinion that transports are absolutely mandatory.

- no Deep Strike means Dreadnoughts tend to be less effective (no Drop Pods to get them into position), and Alpha Strikes are nearly impossible.

- only 1 Fast Attack? Not really a problem.

- Vets as non-compulsory Troops is ok, but Heavy Support Squads are great! Heavy flamers with chem-munitions are a free upgrade and work nicely with Promethium Relay Pipes and/or rad grenades.

- Move Through Cover is great, especially as it extends to your vehicles too (no Immobilised results!). Helps mitigate the lack of mobility a bit.

- Rad grenades are good for any combat-oriented squads, but don't worry about putting them on every character.

The Mastodon is rumoured to carry... wait for it... 40 models! :) As it's a Super-heavy, 2 squads will be able to go in it at once, so big Tactical Squads and Terminator Squads are doable. Not sure how many points it'll be, but I reckon it'll be anywhere up to 700.

I like Grave Wardens a lot, as they're S6 AP4 2-shot assault grenade launchers are very nice against Mechanicum and Imperial Army. Just note that they cannot Overwatch with them or their Death Cloud templates. They're not expensive though, and while they cost a Heavy Support slot, they come with Spartan DT's, and you have Heavy Support Squads as Troops.

Deathshroud Terminators got a nice boost with Tartaros Terminator armour now allowing Sweeping Advances. Their power scythes are rumoured to be getting an upgrade too, so watch this space.

Beyond that, go for what excites you the most! :)

As a 30k Death Guard player since Betrayal, I second all of Callium's points.

Heavy Flamers with Chem is surprisingly effective even against marines. The number of wounds you can lay down is wonderful. I play them quite a bit in a rhino and have had good results. Nothing beats rolling a rhino full of heavy Chem Flamers up to a Solar Auxilla line and watching models evaporate.

One thing I've been playing with recently is a bike praetor with command squad. While they aren't traditionally very Death Guard fluffy they can make a mess of opponents when taken with the reaping. The move through cover they get is spectacular, but rad grenades on them is the real deal.

Also being able to take a defense line to hide medusas behind is pretty nice as well.

If you'd like some sample lists I'd be more than happy to share mine! Good luck with your Death Guard endeavors! It's always nice to have another brother join the ranks!

Thanks for the help so far guys, I can't wait for the news from the weekender. I am just trying to get a basic list going to start buying some basics. I go out to see again for a little bit here soon so I am planning on putting an order in. Should have a decent amount of time to build and paint while I'm out. Some sample lists would be great. Thanks again!

As far as basics go, I would consider:

20 Tac marines

2 Rhions

A Dread ( Can't go wrong with motisnaught or a deredeo)

Medusas are great and have become a staple for any of my lists.

Deathshroud because what's more death guard than deathshroud.

Here's my standard 2k list:

Death Guard Standard (1) (1995pt)

HQ (460pts)

Legion Praetor (190pts)

-Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Paragon Blade, Rad Grenades, Space Marine Bike with Twin-linked Bolter, RoW: The Reaping

Legion Command Squad (270pts)

- 4 marines strong, melta Bombs, Power Fist, 3x Power Weapon,Space Marine Bikes with Twin-linked Bolters

Elites (405pts)

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought (180pts)

[Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons]

Legion Rapier Weapons Battery (225pts)

- Legion Rapier Weapons Battery [Graviton Cannon]

Troops (590pts)

Tactical Squad (185pts)

-Rhino

Tactical Squad (185pts)

-Rhino

Heavy Support Squad (220pts)

-Heavy Flamer

-Chem munitions

-Rhino

-x7 marines total w/rad grenades on the sarge

Heavy Support (540pts)

Legion Artillery Tank Squadron (155pts)

[Legion Medusa]

Legion Fire Raptor Gunship (210pts)

[Reaper Autocannon battery]

Legion Sicaran Battle Tank (175pts)

-Lascannons

@enigami- thanks for the list brother, defibitely helped to give me some ideas. I'm not sure if I want to do any fliers (stupid stormbird is tempting me though) but I am thinking about a deredeo. Those grav guns replaced with thudd guns and phosphex could be nasty. Soooo many ideas!

I got too hype about the heresy weekender today and went ahead and bought some goodies. It was a small order of mostly just our legion specific stuff. Mortarion, Calas Typhon, 10x Deathshroud and 10x Grave Wardens, and transfers. I am getting a B@C box for V Day, so should be off to a good start. Still trying to finalize a list though.

+++ XIV Green Death (2957pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (2997pts) ++

+ HQ (177pts) +

Legion Centurion (157pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Chainfist, Chem-munitions, Combi-Weapon, Rad Grenades]

Consul [siege Breaker]

+ Troops (710pts) +

Legion Heavy Support Squad (230pts) [Chem-munitions, Heavy Flamers, Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 6x Legion Space Marines]

Legion Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Rad Grenades]

Legion Tactical Squad (240pts) [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Take an additional Chainsword or Combat Blade]

Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Power Fist, Rad Grenades]

Legion Tactical Squad (240pts) [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Take an additional Chainsword or Combat Blade]

Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Power Fist, Rad Grenades]

+ Elites (240pts) +

Legion Rapier Weapons Battery (240pts)

Legion Rapier Weapons Battery [Quad Mortar ('Thud Gun')] +Phosphex

+ Fast Attack (205pts) +

Primaris-Lightning Strike Fighter (205pts) [Phosphex bomb cluster, Twin-linked Autocannon, Twin-linked Missile Launcher]

+ Heavy Support (1260pts) +

Deredeo Pattern Dreadnought (220pts) [Aiolos Missile Launcher, Chem-munitions, Twin-linked Heavy Flamer]

Grave Warden Terminator Squad (730pts) [2x Chainfist, 9x Grave Warden Terminator]

Chem-master [Chainfist]

Legion Spartan Assault Tank [Armoured Ceramite, Chem-munitions, Flare Shield, Twin-linked Heavy Flamer]

Legion Artillery Tank Squadron (310pts) [Legion Medusa, Legion Medusa]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [XIV: Death Guard]

+ Lord of War (425pts) +

Mortarion the Reaper (425pts)

Master of the Legion [The Reaping]

Thoughts on this list? I was just trying to see how much phosphex I could squeeze in.

Archived