Question regarding the Hunt

GruntAngel

Considering that ALL of the Traitor Legion homeworlds were destroyed (Night Lords even did it themselves). I don't think that anybody outside the DA would have been particularly upset at the destruction of Caliban. The Angels of Absolution consider themselves absolved of the Fallen, even though they still hunt them down. This seems a better attitude for the DA as a whole. No need for Inner Circles, everybody from the Scouts on up knows if you hear about a Fallen, call the Deathwing

I disagree with the assessment that the Lion owned up to/explained anything unless forced. I don't recall him ever offering any explanations for anything he did unless pressed on the subject or something occurred that shouldn't have, such as the drop pods full of Marines arriving on Ultramar. He never owned up for the participation of his man/men in the failed assassination attempt on the Emperor and never told anyone of the true nature of the Beasts of Caliban even though he had the chance and had previous encounters with Warp entities/daemons. He had plenty of opportunities to disclose a lot of information and never did so. That's a lie by omission.

Secrets are the name of the Dark Angel game from the progenitor to the last of them. They had a dark nature from the creation of their Primarch on. They didn't have to choose it, it comes naturally to them, just as keeping secrets came naturally to the Lion.

As far as Caliban, the Lion never had to explain anything about it. He didn't tell anyone that he set out to destroy it (so far as we know) and he wasn't around to answer anything after it was destroyed.

Here is something I've read on a facebook forum today. Now that give me a clear idea why the Hunt exist and how the sons of the Lion see it.

From Rasmus Høgh Nørskov

I like Dark Angels. They make me think "Bretonnia in space".
Chivalry amongst brothers.
Before the fall, Lion vowed to unite the noble knights and kingdoms into one realm, and exterminate all evil from the surface of the planet. Honour and glory in c
ombat.
Honour is worth fighting for, the essence of what makes you what you are. So to duel with the Space Wolves is a greeting between rivals and brothers at the same time.
To fight for your values under the Emperor himself.
When nearly putting the Emperor in great danger, to banish half your army in shame to acknowledge your father´s wishes.
To return to a fallen kingdom.
To watch your brothers turn to chaos.
The pain of putting down your own chapterbrothers.
To lose your planet.
To lose your people.
To lose your primarch.
To know that not only did you fail to save your brothers and your leader, you also failed to protect the Emperor.
To carry the burden of heresy in loyalty.
To vow to avenge your primarch, your father and your people.
To exterminate all traitors.
To be burdened with being the first chapter.
To go through all this
To restore their honour.
Remaining faithful
remaining loyal
with your head held high
with the heart of a lion
and the soul of a knight.
A Dark Angel.

Archived