Ravenwing Strike Force question

Orkinstein

Hi all.

The RWSF spacial rule "strike as one" requires you either place all units in reserve or deploy them as normal. When the HQ from RWSF joins a unit out of the RWSF and other units in RWSF must in reserve(for example, flyers). What happen? 

1. The HQ becomes part of the unit, so he doesn't need to be placed in reserve. The unit will be deployed as normal.

2. The unit witch the HQ joined should be placed in reserve and automatically arrive at second turn.

3. The HQ cannot join a unit out of RWSF when it contains flyers.

Because of the Special rule, the RWSF HQ can only join another unit as long as that unit is also placed in reserve. That does not confer the ability for that unit to arrive in the second turn automatically,so you must roll for the unit in reserve. If the unit doesn't roll enough to enter then you have to split the HQ from the unit so that you obey the rules of both RW HQ and the normal Reserve rules.

If I field a Ravenwing Attack Squadron with Attack Bikes, then attach Sammael (the HQ from a Ravenwing Strike Force) to the Attack Bikes they do not get to auto deploy?

Why does the independent character not carry the special rules over?  Is the reason because of the lack of the statement "at least one model" like skilled rider?

Because of the Special rule, the RWSF HQ can only join another unit as long as that unit is also placed in reserve. That does not confer the ability for that unit to arrive in the second turn automatically,so you must roll for the unit in reserve. If the unit doesn't roll enough to enter then you have to split the HQ from the unit so that you obey the rules of both RW HQ and the normal Reserve rules.

Thanks Lucifer, but the rule says "An Independent Character cannot leave a unit while either he or the unit is in Reserves". So I guess the unit with IC just a normal unit because there is no a unit of that IC anymore after he join the unit.

If the unit came from the RWSF Formation, which includes the HQs, then it must be placed in reserves.  Formation rules only apply to units from the formation, and those rules are never conferred to units outside the formation.  You either run the formation as is, or not.  If the HQ is from the formation, they cannot  join a unit outside the formation in Reserves if it means that outside unit would then need to use a formation rule for the character to function within the formation rules, or that the character wouldn't be able to use the rules that the formation requires them to use that the outside unit does not also have.  The outside unit never gets to use the formation rules, and the character must use the formation rules when required to do so, as is the case here.  Formations are required to be run a certain way, as that is why they get their special rules at all.  If you don't run the formation exactly the way it says it needs to be run, then you lose your rules and are actually playing UNBOUND in most cases.

If I understand Chaplain Lucifer correctly, he is not quite on target (though that may be due to a lack of information). Any HQ from a RWSF that joins an outside unit must arrive on turn 2, but the outside unit has no such compulsive rule.  As both have opposing rules, they can not join together in Reserves at all.  If the possibility even exists that the unit will arrive on a turn other than Turn 2, the RWSF HQ cannot join it.  Now, what you can do is join HQs from one RWSF to a unit from another RWSF (or pile up HQs from both formations into one of either RWSF's units), and they can be held in reserves because they have exactly the same special rules which they can/must use.

If I understand Chaplain Lucifer correctly, he has it wrong. Any HQ from a RWSF that joins an outside unit must arrive on turn 2, but the outside unit has no such compulsive rule.  As both have opposing rules, they can not join together in Reserves at all.  If the possibility even exists that the unit will arrive on a turn other than Turn 2, the RWSF HQ cannot join it.  Now, what you can do is join HQs from one RWSF to a unit from another RWSF (or pile up HQs from both formations into one of either RWSF's units), and they can be held in reserves because they have exactly the same special rules which they can/must use.

I think I was trying to say what you said, but overcomplicated it. ;) I just meant that the only way that the RWSF HQ could join a unit outside the formation would be if that unit would be on reserve and also arriving at turn 2, since he couldn't share his formation rules with aforementioned unit.

Archived