Using other chapter models

So I haven't actually fought a competitive battle in over a decade, and I mostly paint what I like. However, I am pulling together some sort of coherent, legal army. I like the look of the DA bikes with the wings on the back, but I'm gonna paint em red like the rest of my beloved angels. Is there anything to stop me using them as BA bikes if I ever get round to battling again?

As long as your opponent knows what they are facing the specific models used are rarely a problem, as long as they're similar size/dimensions. Some of the coolest armies i've seen use proxy models (orky wagons built around other armies stuff, eldar exodites on lizardman creatures, etc). For the price those DA bikes are hard to beat, with a little icon trimming they're good to go.

Not a problem - I'e used DA attack bikes for the winged front pieces, they look great as BA - My avatar used DA pieces also.

Nothing wrong with using the DA bling. The DA black knight box has some wargear that is not available to BA (corvus hammers for example). So take care not to use them.

Or just use them as power mauls/whatever? I've used a corvus hammer on my latest sergeant. The blunt end will count as a power maul, the pick end as a power axe, declared at the list building stage. I'm going to use the power bat that comes with the kit on a DC model.

Xenith speaks the truth.

I straight up use the Librarian from Dark Vengeance as Mephiston with a simple backpack change.

Winged bikes are great (again the Dark Vengeance ones) as they have some great poses and better promotions than the normal marine plastics which are ancient.

Not a problem - I'e used DA attack bikes for the winged front pieces, they look great as BA - My avatar used DA pieces also.

Nothing wrong with using the DA bling. The DA black knight box has some wargear that is not available to BA (corvus hammers for example). So take care not to use them.

Or just use them as power mauls/whatever? I've used a corvus hammer on my latest sergeant. The blunt end will count as a power maul, the pick end as a power axe, declared at the list building stage. I'm going to use the power bat that comes with the kit on a DC model.

I agree with all of this.

I have a fair number of Ultramarine models in my BA-successor army, including the Chapter Master who is my avatar.

So I haven't actually fought a competitive battle in over a decade, and I mostly paint what I like. However, I am pulling together some sort of coherent, legal army. I like the look of the DA bikes with the wings on the back, but I'm gonna paint em red like the rest of my beloved angels. Is there anything to stop me using them as BA bikes if I ever get round to battling again?

You mean like this?

gallery_60983_8363_146415.jpg

gallery_60983_8363_38483.jpg

My DIY lot use a mixture of BA and DA iconography (though not all of it, I restrict chalices to Apothecaries and eschew Ravenwing-ish stuff).

So long as you have a consistent approach to the iconography you appropriate and don't have a hotch potch of everything (ie. have bits of SW, UM, DA, BA and other iconography sprinkled throughout because you can't be bothered to cut/scrape/file it off as you sometimes see around), then it's all good.

Archived