Angels of Caliban

HaSY

Here is the cover for the Horus Heresy novel, Angels of Caliban

Angels Of Caliban

Supposedly the event here taken after Thramas Crusade and Unremembered Empire (speculation)

lion

Lion El'Jonson himself, Primarch of the First Legion

deathwing

Deathwing Catapharactii Terminators with halberd and dual volkites

deathwing HH

Not forgetting this brutal Deathwing Terminator from Book VI Retribution by Forge World

Love the artwork and it's great to finally see an 'official' take on the Lion, but I'm a bit bemused as to why we're getting another inconclusive fight between the Lion and Kurze. Enough is enough.

Also, I'm terrified of Gav ruining the good work done for HH DA by Savage Weapons, Prince of Crows and--to a lesser extent--Unremembered Empire. I wish there was a way as a consumer to let GW know I want as much DA content as possible, just without Gav producing it.

Speculated to come at June as BL is going to launch a HH novel seemingly every month...

Angels of Caliban continues the stories of the First Legio, both in Imperium Secundus and Caliban.

Meaning you will be pumped to read about Lion, his lieutenants, Corswain, Luther, Astelan, Cypher, Zahariel...

Besides, what Angels of Caliban would it be if it does not include the Lion of Caliban himself?

If the Lion looks that awesome in the model it will finally be time for me to break the "can't afford to spend money on Forgeworld whilst I am still building my main fighting force" rules... 

@Shabbadoo - I don't reckon that the legs are segmented, I think they are more kid of 'banded', with that gold detailing - like an Artificer's touch, and in keeping with the gold edges all over the rest of the armour.  The knees are segmented which makes way more sense anyway, and would offer more flexibility and protection at the same time.

Can anyone make out what it is hanging from his belt?  Between his legs it looks a little like a pelt (furry), but on the setion that is flowing out behind him (to the left on the image) looks almost like a corded rope or some kind of 'sash'.  Any thoughts?  It's certainly not a robe...

Thanks for the artwork - I am looking at it at work (avoiding the mountain of things I already know I haven;t got time to do), and cannot believe how good that whole scene looks.  I am still trying to get over the dodgy DA artwork in the Codex (everytime I look at it) so this is really refreshing!

If the Lion looks that awesome in the model it will finally be time for me to break the "can't afford to spend money on Forgeworld whilst I am still building my main fighting force" rules... 

I'm in the same boat... what I am affraid is that after having kick-ass Lion, I will really, really feel the urge to get Calth + FW DA upgrades... and boy, that's bloody costly.

I'm in the same boat... what I am affraid is that after having kick-ass Lion, I will really, really feel the urge to get Calth + FW DA upgrades... and boy, that's bloody costly.

Yeah, and then all the books, and then all the special vehicles etc... and before you know it I am re-mortgaging and my wife has left me!

The feral rage of Lion is actually more savage and terrifying than Russ who is just pretending behind the mask of savagery.

That artwork captured the brutal and savage yet majestic anger. 

Like Guilliman, Lion also kept his own arsenal of blades, it will be good if we can have more weapon choices. 

Even Lion can shave his moustache if he wants to lol

Lion's depiction is mysteriously vague, from he-man style in Descent of Angels to Lord Protector's moustache in Deathfire.

Have faith in the Forgeworld guys to build an awesome model. I mean they took the image from the Fulgrim novel of the fight between Ferrus and Fulgrim and made some cool models.

gallery_86236_11651_78241.jpg

Just hope they don't fail on creating his face.

I never imagined the Lion to have a moustache. Is there a picture you can share?

Hmm, he seems to be wearing the same "knightly cloth" that he is wearing in his "He-man" picture. Its ok I guess, and the picture looks really nice. The Lion does look a bit bland though, not really enough details to give him a distictive style, and his face just look like an angry brute, which is in contrast to how he is usually portrayed. Maybe Curze REALLY made him angry? His "Aragornsword" looks ok, but is also a bit bland, and a bit to short I think. I really hope that FW takes a look at the Lions description in Unremembered Empire, he´s got so much style there smile.png

lionel

This feral moustache.

Hmm, he seems to be wearing the same "knightly cloth" that he is wearing in his "He-man" picture. Its ok I guess, and the picture looks really nice. The Lion does look a bit bland though, not really enough details to give him a distictive style, and his face just look like an angry brute, which is in contrast to how he is usually portrayed. Maybe Curze REALLY made him angry? His "Aragornsword" looks ok, but is also a bit bland, and a bit to short I think. I really hope that FW takes a look at the Lions description in Unremembered Empire, he´s got so much style there smile.png

Yeah, his Lionsword does not look long enough. Well, Lion is consumed with the obsession and burden of bringing Curze to order anyway.

Pics look ok, thanks for sharing. I like Lion's face and hair (I prefer sans mustache), but his armor and pose don't really stand out at all which is disappointing. Curze unfortunately looks much cooler to me than anyone.

Speaking of Curze, I see he's having a good time in the pic; probably since he's clearly wearing his invincible plot armor again. And why shouldn't he light a fire and have some fun? He made Lion, Rob and Vulkan look like The Three Stooges while running circles around them in The Unremembered Empire (UE); Lion alone with a few Deathwing shouldn't be a problem. I feel like I already know how this is going to go down: Curze will do what he does best: he'll pick off Lion's kill team one by one, all the while playing mind games with his brother to weaken his resolve. Then there will be a big 1vs1 fight at the end where Curze will take one of his psychotic meltdowns and actually beat his brother, thus making Lion look like a censored.gif. Instead of killing him however, he'll share a vision of the future and what it holds for his legion and father. Knowing this will be far worse than death, Curze will leave Lion shaken and humiliated while stealing a ship and escaping (hopefully once and for all because I'm utterly sick of the character).

I hope I'm wrong of course, but I just have the worst feeling about this book. I hope Thorpe doesn't make Lion look like a weak chump because that's how I felt by the end of UE.

Sure, just go ahead and ruin the book for everyone why don't you. tongue.png

And The Lion's bulky as hell armor probably gives him a 2+/4++ save, while Fulgrim's "armored leotard" gives him the same or better. rolleyes.gif

@Shabbadoo - I don't reckon that the legs are segmented, I think they are more kid of 'banded',

It very much is *segemented*, which is the proper term to describe armor made of overlapping plates, and this is a prominent feature on the lower legs of Mk. II Crusade pattern armor, which The Lion's is obviously based on.

Expanding on the point that I am not fond of the segmented lower leg look, it is okay for a Primarch's armor to NOT look like a bigger version of a regular marine's armor. A little bit of style would be nice, just so long as the flair is kept to a minimum (The Lion/Dark Angels are not about ostentation).

It does explain why he's always getting his ass kicked though- you'd have trouble winning too if you had to drag around 200 pounds of metal strapped to each of your calves during combat! "Sure. Edge everything in gold. It'll add five more pounds? Like that will really matter at this point?" laugh.png

Archived