painted dreadnaught wip

aura_enchanted

thought id share a dreadnought that's finally nearing a fully painted state of completion wanted to see what u think of him, sorry for the bad camera quality. the blocks there are still unpainted and theres a lot at the back to still be done as well so im only showing him from the front right now

original_3a492a6e22bbdb4a88c1fcee1fd075b

for the reds im using a base red from army painter with sort of a rusty feel and then highlighting in mephiston red to give it a more rustic red color, im then highlighting in a reaper red ink, theres some gold and brone i want to do as well on some of the accents and i want to do a burnt effect on the gun muzzles still as well. i didnt think hed be that much work since ive painted other dreadnaughts before but damn does he have so much going on, its like you think your turning a corner and then suddenly theres whole chunks of the model youve found practically un painted its frustrating to say the least

ive been at him a solid 12 hours already

Looks good so far. I don't know if you're planning to use black wash on the metallic parts, but doing so would make them more "3D".

Also, You have a big surface of green in the model so some heraldry, decals , stripes, hazard stripes, checkers or any other stuff could help you break out all that green and make it pop even more.

I agree with Lucifer. I think it's good work, but if you're looking to take it to the next level then some washing and variation in style across the model would help to add to the wow factor. 

It may be the photo, but it also looks like the highlights around the edges to the missile launchers is quite bright. That could be toned down with a wash or you could even consider drybrushing the highlights on rather than painting them free-hand, to make the effect more subtle. Finally, if you really want to go mad, you could try looking at some of ht epaint-chiping tutorials on the painting sections of the forum and do some of that around the feet and lower legs to ground the model a little more.

Overall though, it's good. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Now I'm on to painting my calth dread I have opted for the melta arm as opposed to the assault cannon and used a deredeo flamer to replace his hand mounted bolter with a little glue and creative wizardry

Unlike the last one I've opted for a little more decoration though i have also held back from going crazy on it. But it will help him be much less a 3 coloured hot mess like the Doritos dread was.

Archived