Disciples of Caliban

Son_of_D0rn

Greeting all,

Apart from the Wiki and Lexicanum articles how much is known about this Chapter? I ask as I am painting a scheme similar to these but wanted to write my own fluff and Introduce my own Company Markings based around the Heraldry of the Chapter. Is there scope for this or would this be better as a DIY chapter?

I did a write up several years ago on the DoC that is in my sig if you are interested. It is not canon by any means but it is there to be used.

To answer your second question, you are free to do whatever you please. There is some precedence in canon that all DA and their successors use the same company heraldry that is based loosely on the Codex marking (3rd has the slash while the 4th has the quartered scheme but not the colors, etc...). After that, each Captain of the company supposedly introduces his own heraldry to the banner they lead. Like my avatar, Belial added the Iron Halo and the Sword to the 3rd Company banner and made the field black instead of the typical green.

To me, this is all the authorization you need to do what you please to your minis without worrying about Fluff Nazis.

I'll have to dig around Photobucket but, since I loathe banners and marines lead from the front, I put the stylized banners on the back of the capes of the captains.

I did a write up several years ago on the DoC that is in my sig if you are interested. It is not canon by any means but it is there to be used.

To answer your second question, you are free to do whatever you please. There is some precedence in canon that all DA and their successors use the same company heraldry that is based loosely on the Codex marking (3rd has the slash while the 4th has the quartered scheme but not the colors, etc...). After that, each Captain of the company supposedly introduces his own heraldry to the banner they lead. Like my avatar, Belial added the Iron Halo and the Sword to the 3rd Company banner and made the field black instead of the typical green.

To me, this is all the authorization you need to do what you please to your minis without worrying about Fluff Nazis.

I'll have to dig around Photobucket but, since I loathe banners and marines lead from the front, I put the stylized banners on the back of the capes of the captains.

That answers my question (s) perfectly thank you very much

My Master of the Ninth

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c372/GMBelial/DA%20Minis/P3055244.jpg

Master of the Fourth - I added a sword in the Top Left Quartile

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c372/GMBelial/DA%20Minis/P3055237.jpg

And a WIP shot I switched the colors on the Master of the Third and I later added swords to the bottom of the Master of the Fifth but it gives you an idea.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c372/GMBelial/DA%20Minis/IMG_2035.jpg

Wow, that's a great idea to mark your commanders. I might do something similar, since banners take to much space.

Good luck with your DoC. Be sure to post some pictures of them when you're done. The DoC have a very interesting coloursceme, I can't wait to see you take on them.

Wow, that's a great idea to mark your commanders. I might do something similar, since banners take to much space.

Good luck with your DoC. Be sure to post some pictures of them when you're done. The DoC have a very interesting coloursceme, I can't wait to see you take on them.

I quite like Banners although that is mostly the Fantasy player in me speaking. I have set up a plog (link in sig) hopefully if it is not snowing again I can get the WIP's of the 10 I have so far up and work out a suitable photo set up

I know everything there is to know about them!

Ok maybe not. But what do you want to know specifically besides what has been said above?

Ok my idea is that each Company has its own variation of the Chapter Icon as well as the typical DA colour scheme to differentiate companies. For example Lion Rampant is the 3rd, Lion Salient is the 4th etc etc

Would that work with what we know about DA successors?

I looked up the differences in Rampant versus Salient and the difference is subtle and you can get away with that. I take it this is for the Company banner? Are you planning to keep the sword in the icon? Another idea for you to ponder, what about taking your idea and apply it to the Battle Standards of the Chapter? The Dark Angels Battle standards ar varied compared to the main one. The Lion Rampant can be used for the Standard of Devastation

Depends on what you are planning with the Chapter Icons. If you're going to use them on the banners,  then you could give each of them a different variation. But I do believe, correct me if i'm wrong, that the markings on the shoulder have to be the Chapter Icon itself.

Yes it was the shoulder icon itself that I was referring too, are there any examples of Campaign/Crusade badges for the DA at all?

You would have to go way back for anything official. There used to be a campaign badge on the right leg that was composed of a red triangle with black wings and a white skull. It was attached to the 2nd Ed Storm of Vengeance Campaign I believe. 

They are still perfectly useable. I think it just went out of favor with GW's Red Phase. 

Archived