Ravenwing Speeders

luthhero

I like the idea a lot Master Avoghai.  I like it even more as it requires less speeders and I have the flyers.  You are correct if you are tied up in massive amounts of Support Squads you will not have the targets to just soak.  I will have to think on it.  Right now I'm just trying to figure out cheap speeders as I don't want to spend that much money on them.  

Well the obvious targets are going to be:

1) light infantry / hoards / 4+ or worse.

2) heavy infantry / 3+ or better.

3) light vehicle swarm / AV 10-11.

4) heavy vehicle anvils / AV 12-14.

5) decide if we even want to bother with a way to deal with flyers.

I think we can agree that the tornado and typhoon is going to be the right path to take as an AB is the better platform for a single heavy weapon.

That means we only have these configurations to consider.

HB/HB

MM/MM

HF/HF

HB/MM

HB/HF

MM/HF

HB/AC

MM/AC

HF/AC - not sure when this will make sense.

HB/TML

MM/TM

HF/TML - not sure when this will make sense.

Dark Shroud

Vengeance

mm/hf can be very effective when using ravenshield. It also allows the speeders to switch between anti-armor duty and anti-infantry duty, removing the need for two distinct units in your list.

@ Jazzhands,

Here is the link to the original topic on my all speeder list. And I made more comments on the last game in the first 10 entries of this topic.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/312942-crazy-rw-idea/?view=getnewpost

In short my opponents said I did well, but it didn't feel that way from my side of the table.

In other words, doing well might have meant that they couldn't table me in a single turn.

@ Twopounder,

I agree with your idea that we will need the different speeders to be able to deal with a verity of targets.

I guess my reluctance with flamers on speeders is because I am used to with my bikes and sisters of battle of flaming and then charging into CC. But the speeder is going to flame and then wait there to be charged.

The infantry route is very effective, but the speeder seems sacrificial. And I'm having trouble with the concept of being vastly out numbered and taking sacrificial units. Usually the sacrificial units go in the more hoard like armies.

Or am I misunderstanding this concept.

Not really an all speeder list but I took a speeder heavy list to a GT, in the fall and did fairly well with it. (1850)

The MSU aspect of it killed in maelstrom missions, and 75 points thrown away on scoring an objective never seemed like too great a price to pay.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c89/Gabus447/Dark%20Angels/10676233_1060871173957895_960120497570768834_n_zpskaezfey2.jpg

I've tried the RWSS with TML this WE and I've found they didn't do well.

Sure hitting most of your targets on 2+ seems great, but the problem is that you will be jinking something like 4turns/6 so you'll hit on 6s anyway. In this case, I prefer having more shoots to have more chances to hit.

I think 'll build my RWSS with assault cannons and keep the ML for lonely speeders.

I played some HB/AC speeders last night in a fun 1850 game where I was doing a DW Strikeforce with 3 RW AS and a single RWSS.  It was against the new Demon Quad Daemon Prince Formation.  I didn't have any Psykers and he had like 17 dice a turn base.  It was actually really close and the HB/AC speeders were the best thing on the table for the most part.  I will say I just want to play lion's blade really bad now with Support Squadrons as Full BS overwatch with that unit feels like the best thing ever.

I played some HB/AC speeders last night in a fun 1850 game where I was doing a DW Strikeforce with 3 RW AS and a single RWSS.  It was against the new Demon Quad Daemon Prince Formation.  I didn't have any Psykers and he had like 17 dice a turn base.  It was actually really close and the HB/AC speeders were the best thing on the table for the most part.  I will say I just want to play lion's blade really bad now with Support Squadrons as Full BS overwatch with that unit feels like the best thing ever.

They will get a full BS overwatch only if other RW squadrons get charged, meaning you must take at least a demi company, a RWSS AND other RW squads (thought it can be using the RW attack squadron formation or the RW detachment) AND those get to be charged. It is very situational.

Archived