Dark Angels Identity

dalleron

Alright, I've had this thought in my mind about the Dark Angels for a long time.  I'm curious as to what you all have to say about it.

Is there too much going on theme-wise for the Dark Angels.  I'll try to explain.

Right off the hop, They're the first legion.  I don't think this is a major part of it, but it still comes up.  It could be a cool idea if explored further.  They have lots of cool toys, but then again, so do most chapters.  But if DA had first dibs on the toy box, should they not have more than the most other chapters.  I think the HH might explore this idea further.

Secondly, and this probably tied into my first point at one time, is that they're the "plasma chapter".  Plasma here, there and everywhere.  Maybe at one point this was a good design point at one time, but I don't think it has been fleshed out enough as it could have been. 

The Fallen.  The prevailing DA motif.  It is what it is.  Leading to....

Deathwing and Ravenwing.  Designed to hunt the fallen and wage war as DA do.

That's a lot of ideas to cram into a theme.  Do the Unforgiven suffer to any degree because of it?  Do you think they balance all of it well enough?  Please don't take this as a whinge-fest about them.

We are the "plasma" chapter because it's the way GW chose to represent having ancient tech. So until they get it straight that's what we will have.

I don't think there is a big lack of focus, used to be much worse, but there is room for improvement.

We are the "plasma" chapter because it's the way GW chose to represent having ancient tech. So until they get it straight that's what we will have.

I don't think there is a big lack of focus, used to be much worse, but there is room for improvement.

agreed there is much work that needs to be done, we have some or the most expansive relic libraries of any chapter and yet azreal has his sword and the lions helm.. thats it. this is not becoming of a chapter master to the dark angels.

also i feel we need a special dreadnaught of our own, the grey's have the dreadknight, the blood angels have the librarian and furioso, the spac ewolves have their unique venerable dread and then bjorn and the murderfang. it stands to reason we have a special one too. heck codex marines have their unique dread in the ironclad

it stands to reason we get a special dreadnaught too ever since they took away our ven dreads unique plasma cannon.

id like to see maybe the chaplain dreadnaught that seems thematically nice

If you the rules and $$ for it we do have our own dread, and one we share with those Templar nuts (in the Chaplain dread) plus the mortis, beyond the rifleman dread every army can field.  Though its usefulness could be debated.  Is the Chappy dread still BT and DA only or did it change?

Azrael already has a bunch of relics, I don't think he needs more.  His sword should be better I will admit, and I think every Chapter Master should be eternal warrior.  But that's another topic lol.

If you the rules and $$ for it we do have our own dread, and one we share with those Templar nuts (in the Chaplain dread) plus the mortis, beyond the rifleman dread every army can field.  Though its usefulness could be debated.  Is the Chappy dread still BT and DA only or did it change?

Azrael already has a bunch of relics, I don't think he needs more.  His sword should be better I will admit, and I think every Chapter Master should be eternal warrior.  But that's another topic lol.

you dont get it, before this edition he had a combi plasma that was master craft and had a unique statline, they took it away from him, he had unique armour too again its gone, he was also cheaper. azreal was nerfed this edition plain and simple.

also anyone can take a chaplain dreadnaught, im talking bringing it down from forgeworld to the fulltime roster and making it dark angels specific. the contempor is forgeworld and forgeworld is forgeworld is forgeworld its own seperate little corner of discussion. unless we get some fancy new 30k/40k dread when they finally get down to the war on caliban on the HH books we still wont have an over the counter unique dreadnaught.

IA Vol.2 War Machines of the Adeptus Astartes has made the Mortis Dreadnought available to Codex-Chapters. According to the new fluff (pg.168), they are just more common among the Unforgiven.

The Dark angels have thier focus off of vehicles and on termies and bikes. I would seriously doubt that they will get a new dread any time soon, even if every other chapter has one (which stinks as it would look incredible).

Also, of all 40k chapters the Dark Angels are having the most fluff growth. The 30k novels play into this far more than any of the other chapters can claim, and also, CYPHER!!!!

As the oldest you do not necessarily have more toys, than your younger siblings, but maybe different ones… handcrafted stuff, some experimental toys and some old relics from your parents.

The younger get the mass-produced stuff from the toy factories.

So for the First it would be old stuff, relic Terran blades and experimental weapons.

Lord Cyphers Plasma pistol which does not explode. That alone is reason enough to hunt him. msn-wink.gif

I also would like to see other jet bikes, closer to Sammael’s. I don't like the current FW jet bikes. They look too much like flying coffins to me.

A Supplement About Unforgiven Successors would be cool. I mean each successor should have their own different relics as each inherit different things from the First Legion. 

We need more information about Successors themselves.

The Mortis We can take as an Elites choice and C:SM & Badab War IA book can have just one. Contemptors models can be taken by us, C:SM and Badab War IA book. Sorry BA and SW. lol.
But that is just the gist of it. But Forgeworld items are codex useable as it is official 40k approved. It doesn't matter that it's from FW. Even bigger tournaments are allowing it even though it has always been GW (40k approved.). It was stupid reasoning of Tourneys not allowing them in the first place as they had always been 40k approved, just like White Dwarf entries.

But that is a bit off op.

I would like for things to be a bit more fleshed out.

Plasma, as several above stated was about the old tech vibe they gave to the DA to flesh them out a bit more. It started with 3rd we were the only ones to have it on Tacticals, 4th/5th edition I believe we had it at a lower price for tacticals, 6th edition brought about the Vengeance landspeeder. Sadly they didn't change anything for Old tech, grav being brought in, but all our toys (models,) had just had an update shortly before 7th ed codex dropped. They weren't going to change any of it with having just been nearly 3 years after having made them.
it would be neat if the Vengeance got an alternate platform weapon. Like a Rift cannon or a special Grav armament.

It is funny people don't mention that much that Cypher's Plasma Pistol doesn't overheat. i was glad to see someone point that out.

I would very much like a supplement codex for Unforgiven SCs as they would have different relic wargear besides their versions of the Heavenfall blades and then a specific Chapter Master would be cool.  That would be the only thing really as they would have all the same other stuff for Special guys except maybe named Libby and IntChap.

To me, the identity of the Dark Angels isn't based upon the toys they have (or don't have). It's all based on the Hunt for the Fallen. This has driven significant organizational differences [from other Chapters] and, more importantly, an operational focus and the secret control of the hidden Legion. The lengths to which the Unforgiven are willing to go in their quest for redemption and the institutional psychological impacts of their guilt over the Fallen (and paranoia of having this embarrassing fact of their collective history discovered by outsiders) have wrought intriguing changes on the Unforgiven.

All of the neat-o toys are nice and all (I particularly like the Master of the Ravenwing's jetbike - beautiful model), but I would find the Chapter just as intriguing if they kept their current background and were limited to the toys available to Codex Chapters (they'd have to keep The Rock, though msn-wink.gif ).

It's all based on the Hunt for the Fallen. 

This. 1000x this.  They could be reduced to the status of rogue trader security contractors equipped with autoguns and pig-iron breastplates and they'd still be obsessively consumed with the Hunt.

/edit/

Pre-HH, it's a different matter...they're the legion equivalent of an impoverished noble house.  Their glory has faded.  Several other legions are supplanting them as the exemplars of "this is the space marine way of war" and the lion should have been warmaster.  They're still doing their duty, and doing it well, but the spotlight has moved on and they're struggling to find meaning in what amounts to janitorial duties while maintaining a quiet dignity as LEGIO PRIMUS.

/edit again/ But....30k HAS IRONWING....RAWR!!!!

A Supplement About Unforgiven Successors would be cool. I mean each successor should have their own different relics as each inherit different things from the First Legion. 

We need more information about Successors themselves.

I did flesh out the Successors awhile back but perhaps it is about time to fully update them, but it would never become canon. Links are in my sig.

Archived