What is the best back up for ravenwing ?

Rayray1992

Greetings Brothers 

I'm planning to invest in some heavy support for my Ravenwing 

I've managed to narrow it down to two choices an Imperial Knight and 2 Contemptor Dreadnoughts (not sure what pattern)

Which would be the best for backing up my ravenwing ?

Thank you!

Imp Knight for pure Ravenwing coz you don't have to take a CAD

As Contemptors are CAD only then I wouldn't recommend them anyway as If you take a Demi + Dread then its Obj Sec

As all my games have some progressive objective element this is a powerful reason roll with the bonuses

They are nice models and have some neat Variants, I've a couple of Mortis Pattern but they've not been used since the new codex dropped but will probably include them next Apoc match we have organised 

I like the imperial knight because it's speed lets it keep up with Ravenwing. I would normally use the knight to provide firepower and assault, so I like the big melta cannon, but I think any version would work well.

I know you asked about heavy support, but what I use to support my ravenwing is a maxed out Ravenwing Support Squadron with 3 assault cannons and 2 multimeltas, plus an assault cannon on the darkshroud. It's amazing.

So would a Knight Errant - with Heavy Stubber, Thermal Cannon, Reaper Chainsword , and twin icarus cannons ?

@centurio, I have ran a few support squadrons like that myself and i completely agree the output is pretty special but I just kind of want....more?

The armies i most play as dark eldar, Chaos, Ultrasmurfs, Guard and AD Mech

I actually use the big melta circle to deal with units with 2+ armor or led by a character with 2+ armor and death stars. I usually can kill horde units with a couple of units of black knights backed with a RWSS. Since I am usually in assault so fast I don't really get much use from the knights shooting anyway.

I actually use the big melta circle to deal with units with 2+ armor or led by a character with 2+ armor and death stars. I usually can kill horde units with a couple of units of black knights backed with a RWSS. Since I am usually in assault so fast I don't really get much use from the knights shooting anyway.

From my experience, I get much more hits with the plasma talons and the grav guns than with a single big melta shot when it comes to target a death star. And when it comes to vehicles... The melta weapons lose all its bonuses by causing only one hit (except the 12" melta range)

I owns a big melta too and I use it as a back up for greenwing... But for the RW, I'll invest soon in a battle cannon.

I think it comes down to playstyle. I use a lot of MSU, and by turn 2 I am amongst the enemy and have a problem with dropping ap3 large blasts. I use the knight primarily to assault with his D weapon. With some changes to the list and tactics I could certainly make good use of the Paladin. I do own some Paladins and use them with other armies.

I've been looking to add a Knight to my army for a little while now so it's good to know they can be useful. I have a couple of questions since I'm kinda new to the hobby.

You can field the Paladin without taking a specific HQ for it? But if you don't want an unbound army the only way to field them is with a demi battle company?

Does the Paladin battle cannon work as an artillery? So scatter and everything?

Can anyone tell how many points they are worth in general with the battle cannon set up?

Finaly would a close combat knight be a better add on then a deathwing formation?

@GruntAngel, no need for a HQ unit to bring your Knight. The 'Oathsworn Detachment' from the latest Imperial Knights book is 1-3 lords of war and can be taken as a detachment in any imperial army (talking battle brothers here, not those silly Eldar/Knight alliance shenanigans), but cannot be taken as your primary detachment. Also, no Battle Demi Company required, you can bring your Oathsworn with any detachment.

The rapid fire battle cannon is not barrage, thus has no ability to indirect fire. I'm guessing that's what you mean by artillery & scatter?

As for points cost, without quoting exact numbers as I believe that's frowned upon here, you should budget ~400 points for your knight with upgrades.

With regards to your last question, better is a pretty open ended question. For me it's not better because personally Deathwing 'porting in with Ravenwing is cooler and more befitting the Dark Angels and by extension the Ravenwing's & Deathwing's agenda. However from a performance point of view I would say that ~400 points of Imperial Knight will likely cause more issues for your opponent than the equivalent points of Deathwing. As others have said, a Knight can really compliment your Ravenwing if you equip it and use it to plug the gaps you've got in your Ravenwing force.

Archived