Ideal allies for Skitarii

Aranov

Greetings fellow disciples of the Omnissiah!

Newly forged Skitarii Princeps and Cult Mechanius Tech-Priest here.

I've recently decided to get in the tabletop side of things after enjoying the fluff, and loving Dan Abnett's Titanicus,

It was a no brainer what army I'd start with when I found out GW actually released AdMech forces.

But now that I have a basic force at 500 points, I'm looking to expand and the thought of bringing in allies is tempting.

However I'm very much new and not sure what the best investment would be at this point.

I am planing on playing at the 2000 or 1850 level in the long run, trying to leverage adding 500 points a month, at least as much as funds allow.

As such I'd like to pick up units that'd be useful for such games.

I've done some research, with out access to the codexes or actual game experience there is a great deal I'm missing.

Here is what I've been looking at and considering (TL:DR at bottem):

Inquisition: My first choice, and then one I've done the most research on.

I am put off by the availability of the codex and models, but it really seems like a quick and easy way to field transports, psykers and cheap infantry.

Plus it's my understanding the weaponsmiths pack flamers and buff units, so that's some thing else I can pack in.

Imperial Guard: A more readily available version of the INQ, but also packing tanks and flyers.

Feels like my AM force would be playing second fiddle to them however.

And honestly I find the wide range of options off-putting in an allied force.

Space Marines: Wasn't to crazy about SM at first, purely for fluff reasons, but I've read good things about the Blood Angels, and Space Wolves just got a ton of new stuff.

Cult Mechanicus: Seems like an obvious first choice, But they share many of the same weaknesses as the Skitarii near as I can tell, and I'm running Dominus Maniple so I can already bring a Dominus to field.

That being said I picked up both AM codexes, so they get bonus points for that.

And last but not least, Imperial Knights: I LOVE Titans, so I must have at least one at some point.

However I don't plan on running one till I'm at 1850/2000 point games.

But I will use one, so I'm trying to take that in to consideration when building up my army.

Or i could just pick up more Skitarii. Only at 500 points and all I have is a Domi Maniple

Opinions? Advice?

TL:DR: A newbie is overthinking things, and wants Inquisitors.

I would stick to Skitarii (or ally in some Cult Mech as mmimzie suggested) until you get into a higher point bracket.  Skitarii are a really good (if limited) army, and allies at small point levels end up being restrictive.  

I get overly excited looking at specific units and want to add them (or something like them) all the time, but realistically, until I can field at least 750 points of Skitarii without proxies, I should stick to buying Skitarii.  I am right there with you on Knights, though.  I might pick one up early just because I think making it will be awesome.

What is your local meta like? If you love to have an imp knight later and you like the idea of cult mech, go full war convcation, one of the best and most fun formations.

And if you want keep allies to the minimum but some cool to combat skitarii weakness in psychic, culexus is very cool, especially with the war convocation lol

Thank you, I totally forgot about the war convocation! That makes the CM a much more appealing ally, all I need is to hunt down the WD issue for completeness sake.

Already have half of what I need for a basic force, and I worked out an 1500 WC list, plus an 1000 point interim list.

Only problems is it likely won't make me any friends at the FLGS as they consider knights "A little much" even at 1500, so a WC might be a little unpopular.

And furthermore more at 1500 all the squads are at minimum strength, not sure how big a problem that would be. 

Only problems is it likely won't make me any friends at the FLGS as they consider knights "A little much" even at 1500, so a WC might be a little unpopular.

At our FLGS, the WC in general is extremely unpopular, as it usually stomps everything... sleep.png

*Mechgasm*

Although I am building up a filthy reputation at my club, then again everything I faced so far are other heavy formations....

Even when you don't bring the War Convo, Cult Mech do bring a lot for the Skitarii, Grav destroyers melts anything that isnt wearing t-shirts, Tech-priests are one of the better non character HQs and if you still want that advantage Kastellan Elimination formation with vanguard/ranger support is divine.

Even when you don't bring the War Convo, Cult Mech do bring a lot for the Skitarii, Grav destroyers melts anything that isnt wearing t-shirts, Tech-priests are one of the better non character HQs and if you still want that advantage Kastellan Elimination formation with vanguard/ranger support is divine. 

Techpriests are ridiculously good for what they cost. Essentially a terminator captain, who can poke apart vehicles, and has lots and lots of wargear. Kataphron alre always useful, either providing much-needed AP2 (grav) at a good range, or long-range AT (breacher) to counter backfield firepower that would rip apart the approaching arc vanguard. Arc breachers turn less useful when all vehicles are dead, but gravs were always target priority number one for my enemy. I prefer to replace my Kataphrons with more Skitarii models as I stock up, just throwing a dozen Kataphron at the enemy seems like overkill, and is hardly a challenge to play...

I'd also add my enthusiastic vote for Cult Mechanicus allies! It is the fluffiest choice, and the models are to die for. Plus, should people at your FLGS start playing "7.5 edition" 40k, you can more easily take a War Convocation to keep up with Wraithknights, Scatterbikes, Jetseer Councils, Battle Company Spam, Centurionstars, Wraith Decurions, etc, etc. Taking a Dominus is excellent since he's such an absurdly economically costed HQ for what he brings to the table and is very durable. As stated above, Kataphrons are mighty shooting platforms, and Heavy Grav Cannons will let you stand toe-to-toe with anything the enemy might bring to bear. Kastelan Robots are interesting but overcosted given how easily poison disposes of them - I personally don't recommend them. You can't go wrong with adding a Battle Congregation to your force!

I will also vote for the Cult Mechanicus! The disgusting War Convocation aside, they bring some really nice units with them (hello Grav/Plasmadestroyers, hello Kastelan, hello awesome Dominus!) and just tie in pretty well with the Skitarii. 

I personally find our lack of transports pretty bearable. Our Skitarii units have scout and either enough range to kill stuff Turn 1 (Rangers, Onager) or won't be as effective as they are when the enemy is spread out (getting our Vanguard in the opponents face Turn 1 will just get them killed, while in Turn 2 or 3 when the enemy's units are more spread out they can pick of squads and survive). 

And our CC units are fast enough to make it there Turn 2 anyway (outflanking Infiltrators, (counter)charging Ruststalkers, scouting (with the formation: outflanking) Dragoons etc.).

I actually prefere to let the enemy come to me. If I get to start, I will just advance a bit with everything and try to pick of the enemy's vehicles. I will place my Vanguard in cover and let them loose Turn 2. 

Ruststalkers in a drop pod can be nice, but other than that, we don't desperately need transports. Or at least we don't HAVE to take allies just to get those transports.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I managed to get down to the FLGS (local being relative in this case, as it's 40 min to and from...) on Saturday, talked with some folks and got a basic 500 point beginner's game in.

Now that I have first hand experience I definitely see why the Cult Mech would be good for Skitarii!

I thought the dominus maniple would good enough to bring a Dominus in, but honestly now that I played it looks lackluster compared running both a skitarii maniple and battle congregation.

And that Dominus was great, he practically won the battle, albeit by good rolls while assaulting and being assaulted by the enemy vanguard (literally vanguard, Opponent was running Skitarii too).

So I'm set on picking-up a unit of destroyers and a unit of breachers next month, and with my vanguard out the domi maniple I can bring in a ranger unit, so that will cover 1000.

After that I'm thinking of a 2nd Onager in squad with the first, along with a unit of Kastelans for 1500 point games. In the mean time I'll be learning the local meta and see where things go.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Couple points: first, the Dominus Maniple specifically says a unit of Vanguard, so Rangers are out.  Second, the Onager has to be a single model, so that's out, too.  I would recommend taking the Kataphrons with the Dominus and then a Skitarii Maniple for your Rangers and Vanguard and Onagers, since the benefits are greater anyway and it will fit in neatly.

Yeah I know, that's exactly what I'm doing. Was up late when I typed that so didn't seem to explain clearly.

What I meant was since I'm dissolving the dominus maniple, I could bring in the rangers with the vanguard for a skitarii maniple without having to buy a whole new unit.

But thank you again.

Yeah I know, that's exactly what I'm doing. Was up late when I typed that so didn't seem to explain clearly.

What I meant was since I'm dissolving the dominus maniple, I could bring in the rangers with the vanguard for a skitarii maniple without having to buy a whole new unit.

But thank you again.

Gotcha!  That makes sense.

• 4 weeks later...

Was rewatching the Matrix the other night with the better half and something occurred to me, Wraiths! Specifically in the Canoptek Harvest, as the formation fills a niche that Necrons lack, movement and CC, similar to Skitarii/Cult Mech.

Yes we have the Dragoons and Sicarans but they are squishy and require smart deployment/movement. 

Canoptek Wraiths are tough (T5, 3+, 3++ and RAP in the formation) plus a nice distraction leaving our army mostly unmolested.

As they will be zooming across the board I cant see Ad Mech getting that close to be a problem. 

But you have to deploy them 12" apart which from everything else, which can create a pretty big zone of "no-deployment". But yeah, if you want to be a cheese-lord you could take those unkillable CC machines. :P

Has someone experience with fielding Militarum Tempestus? The models look so awesome and I'll get myself a squad of Scions soon to represent the Acolytes of my Inquisitor. But they just look so cool that I might have to get a few more boxes and maybe start a small force as allies. Question is: Would they be good allies for Ad Mech? 

From what I've gathered, Scions are suicide troopers that will DS somewhere, shoot the biggest meanest unit dead and then die themselves. We don't need their Plasma or Melta guns or their Anti-Vehicle capacities. 

However, their AP3 weapons look pretty nice and their fast-paced style of deployment via Valkyrie or Deeps Strike is something that we don't have. Also, against the majority of oppinions I think the Taurox Prime looks really cool! Freaking pimp-mobile with all the bling attached. :'D

I've just started assembling my [HERETICAL CONTENT PURGED] from the Overkill game when I should be building more servitors and battle automata. I'm justifying neglecting the forge by saying they're future allies. whistlingW.gif.

I've just started assembling my [HERETICAL CONTENT PURGED] from the Overkill game

***//Loggin in...//*** ***//Authentication successful//*** ***Welcome, Inquisitor***

***[Request Deathwatch Pruge?]***

No [ ]

Yes [x]

There lies no strenght in that Xeno scum! >: (

Has someone experience with fielding Militarum Tempestus? The models look so awesome and I'll get myself a squad of Scions soon to represent the Acolytes of my Inquisitor. But they just look so cool that I might have to get a few more boxes and maybe start a small force as allies. Question is: Would they be good allies for Ad Mech? 

From what I've gathered, Scions are suicide troopers that will DS somewhere, shoot the biggest meanest unit dead and then die themselves. We don't need their Plasma or Melta guns or their Anti-Vehicle capacities. 

However, their AP3 weapons look pretty nice and their fast-paced style of deployment via Valkyrie or Deeps Strike is something that we don't have. Also, against the majority of oppinions I think the Taurox Prime looks really cool! Freaking pimp-mobile with all the bling attached. :'D

As a former guard player, Tempestus isn't really attractive. Stormtroopers were fun in 5th (even if too expensive) with their doctrines, but without them they are just bland.

-Tauroxes just die to anything above bolter fire, and especially the Primes are just too expensive for that.

-scions have one shot S3 AP3 at 18", a vanguard has 3 shots (effectively) S4 on that range, so vanguard is better unless closing to 9"

-skitarii infantry has several upsides over scions, be it FnP, CC debuff, WS/BS buff, cheaper,...

Scions try to fill the same role as skitarii (imperial guard on steroids/bionics) and have mostly the same profile, but skitarii just do the same better, and are more than just a dataslate "codex". Only upside is, they hand out valkyries and tauroxes as transports for skitarii squads. If already taking inquisition, the acolytes (=scion gear) already take a valkyrie, and strike where the skitarii squads can't get to.

As a former guard player, Tempestus isn't really attractive. Stormtroopers were fun in 5th (even if too expensive) with their doctrines, but without them they are just bland.

-Tauroxes just die to anything above bolter fire, and especially the Primes are just too expensive for that.

-scions have one shot S3 AP3 at 18", a vanguard has 3 shots (effectively) S4 on that range, so vanguard is better unless closing to 9"

-skitarii infantry has several upsides over scions, be it FnP, CC debuff, WS/BS buff, cheaper,...

Yah, the Scions are just really expensive (12 points/model) for what they bring to the table. :/

If already taking inquisition, the acolytes (=scion gear) already take a valkyrie, and strike where the skitarii squads can't get to.

I think I will buy a Valkyrie to just drop my Inquisitorial CC Unit. They will only scatter D6 with the Servo Skulls. The Acolytes are just the tax I pay to take a Psyker (I'll run two min squads of two Acolytes with one Psyker).

Is the Valkyrie worth its points? 125 points base is a lot, even though it has AV 12. Are the weapon upgrades any good? I know it will get even more expensive, but it seems that those upgrades would lift the Valkyrie from an expensive transport to a somewhat reasonably priced gun platform that also functions as a transport.

Edit: Just saw the price-tag of 52€. Holy moly! Is there an alternative model that doesn't cost the soul of my first born child? >_>

What really bothers me though is, that an Inquisitor can only be Mastery Level 1! What the f*ck, GW?! Even Orks(!) can pump up their Wyrdboys to ML 2 and the Greenskins aren't even known for they psychic powers. The Inquisition has some of most badass psychic mofos to roam the galaxy and all we get is either ML 1 or we take Coteaz with his ML 2. This would be somewhat bearable if I knew that there is hope to get another Inquisition Codex soon or an update etc. but I think the Inquisition will suffer the same fate as the Sisters and will just collect dust until we get an update in god-knows-how-many-years. sad.png

Is the Valkyrie worth its points? 125 points base is a lot, even though it has AV 12. Are the weapon upgrades any good? I know it will get even more expensive, but it seems that those upgrades would lift the Valkyrie from an expensive transport to a somewhat reasonably priced gun platform that also functions as a transport.

Only useful upgrade, Multiple Rocket Pods. Two large blasts with bolter profile fill the large-template horde slayer position, something AdMech usually lacks, and doesn't cost much.

Edit: Just saw the price-tag of 52€. Holy moly! Is there an alternative model that doesn't cost the soul of my first born child? >_>

I see, you don't play horus heresy. happy.png

At least the valkyrie is quite a big and awesome model, more worth the money than the Sentinel-sized Onager IMO. Or just look for one on ebay, they have been around for an eternity, and guard players tend to have more than just one. Got my second and third valk for 20-25€ each...

Archived