Ideal allies for Skitarii

Aranov

I see, you don't play horus heresy. happy.png

I've got the Thagmata Bundle with the Book and the HQ + 4 Servo Automata, as well as Solomon Lok and his Retinue. But I don't play 30K as I don't have enough models to do so. However, if the rumours are true and 30K Ad Mech gets 40K rules in the new IA, I will get myself some awesome robots - even if it costs an arm and a leg. T_T

I'll keep an eye on eBay.

I'll just quote myself from another thread in hopes of getting more responses (since the Inquisition Forum seems to be way less active than this forum):

Okay, so I have tried to come up with a list that gives me a fun CC Inquisitor, as well as some Warpcharges and a Inquisitorial CC Retinue.

Inquisition - 477 Points

***************  2 HQ  ***************  

Inquisitor Coteaz
- - - > 100 Points

Inquisitor Ordo Xenos
- Boltpistol
- 1 x Psisword
- 3 x Servo-Skulls
- Power Armour
- Psychotroke Grenades
- Mastery Level 1
- - - > 87 Points

***************  3 Elite  ***************  

Warband
1 Priest
2 Crusaders
4 Assassins
Valkyrie- Multilaser
- 2x Multiple Rocketpods
- - - > 250 Punkte

Warband
1 Psyker
2 Acolytes
- 2 x Bolter
- - - > 20 Punkte

Warband
1 Psyker
+ 2 Acolytes
- 2 x Bolter
- - - > 20 Punkte

Total Inquisition : 477 Points

Either Coteaz or my Ordo Xenos Inquisitor will join the CC Warband in the Valkyrie. Thanks to the Servo Skulls, the Warband will only scatter D6, allowing for a relatively percise landing. 

My two other Warbands with the Psykers in them will stay all the way back in my deployment zone. Their only job is to generate Warp Charges and help my troops with powers from Divination etc. 

Once dropped, my CC Warband will engage the enemy and hopefully get some nice powers beforehand. Can one cast spells while inside a vehicle/can a unit inside a vehicle be targeted with blessings? What would be the best Psychic Power to give to the Inquisitor joining them? I really like Biomancy but I am unsure if we can even take it. On the Psychic Power Cards it indicates that the Inquisition may take Biomancy. In the Codex however, Biomancy isn't listed as an option.

The other Inquisitor will join either my Vanguard or sometimes my Ruststalkers/Infiltrators, depending on if they will need the extra help in CC or not. 

Lastly my Valkyrie will help to remove light to medium infantery - something the Adeptus Mechanics has (apart from the Vanguard) not so much means for. We tend to have a lot of Anti-Vehicle units and heavy hitters but lack e.g. Flamers or large blasts to deal with hordes. This will also allow me to give my Onager(s) the Neutron Laser instead of the standard laser. 

What do you guys think? 

I've been thinking more and more about potential allies, and it seems to me like anything I would consider would have to have a good close combat option.  Sicarians are great at causing mutual extinction in my games, and dragoons have been decent for me (but so expensive on the wallet!), but we just don't have durable CC.  Maybe when I get more into Cult Mechanicus and I try out the Kastelans, but they're also costly enough (points-wise) that I'm worried they'd just get focus fired immediately.  Not having transports sucks, but pretty much any ally I would consider can cover that at least passably.  

Kastellans are worth every point. Those beasts are very durable and require a lot of fire power to take out. I like to equip the datasmith with a conversion field and give the Kastellans phosphor blasters and fists. I play them aggressively, charging straight up the middle in order to apply pressure to the enemy. Any shots directed at them means less shooting at my fragile skitarii units.

Kastellans are worth every point. Those beasts are very durable and require a lot of fire power to take out. I like to equip the datasmith with a conversion field and give the Kastellans phosphor blasters and fists. I play them aggressively, charging straight up the middle in order to apply pressure to the enemy. Any shots directed at them means less shooting at my fragile skitarii units.

I will definitely try them out sometime, don't get me wrong.  I'm just always wary of putting that many points into one unit.  Once I get into higher point brackets, I'm sure I'll feel differently.

Since this doesn't really belong in the Hard Data Thread, I'll post it here:

I played a small campaign this week with a buddy of mine. "Campaign" might not even be the right term because we just played a few games in a row, starting at 500 points each and gaining 25 points for each objective marker that we hold at the end of the game. Those points could then be used for upgrades or more units.

For the most part, I just played two full squads of Vanguards and my Inquisition. I tried to experiment as much as the points allowed me to and here are my results:

• Daemonhosts are not good for CC. I really wanted to make them work and be this random unit that could wreck stuff in CC if they generate the right powers. But alas, it wasn't meant to be. 1 Attack base is just not enough, 2 Attacks on the charge doesn't really cut it either. They are however surprisingly good shooting units. The powers that give them ranged attacks either slaughter MEQ with S4 AP3 Blast or they will wreck vehicles with S8 AP4. I ran five of them as one squad and I'll keep experimenting. For 50 points they are alright. If I have points to spare I'll include them to annoy the enemy and if they ever get S6 or AP2 for CC I might charge small units.
  • Min Henchmen Squads of 2 Acolytes and 1 Psyker are hilarious! You get a Warp Charge for under 30 points and they can support our troops really well with Divination
  • Psychotroke Grenades are worth their points! I often read that people try to keep their Inquisitors as cheap as possible. However, I found that putting points into those guys are never wasted! The grenades are amazing!
  • Since my Daemonhosts failed me, I tried the "regular" CC unit, consisting of 4x Crusaders, 4x Death Cult Assassins and a Ministrorum Priest. (Power Axe and Combi Flamer) I also stuck my Inquisitor with two Daemon Blades, Brain Mines, Power Armour, Liber Heresius and ML 1 (Biomancy) along with a Psyker (Pyromancy) in there. This Squad is AMAZING! Using the Book I scouted them up into cover. The Crusaders did their job and tanked shots. Since my opponent had a CC Ork Squad of about 400 points, I didn't want my Inquisitorial CC Squad to get charged. Thus I positioned behind and to the right of a Vanguard Squad and put two Dragoons in front of the Vanguard, just to give me opponent some targets that he could charge. My plan worked and he charged the Vanguard, annihilating them and now standing in the open. My Priest used his Combi Flamer and my Psyker used the magic Flamer from Pyromancy to fry some Orks. My Dragoons charged his CC Blob but only killed two or three Orks. Then my Inquisition charged and it was just beautiful! The Priest sang his prayers and gave my whole squad to-wound rerolls, along with his to-hit rerolls from Zelot . I never had a unit with that high Initiative so it was the first time seeing how awesome it is to strike the enemy before he can deal damage. My DCAs murdered a lot of Orks, as did my Crusaders who tanked the wounds. My Inquisitor challenged the Pain Boy and he failed his ini test, thus being unable to strike back. Since my Inquisitor got +3S, AP2, FNP, Eternal Warrior and +3 Attacks from the Daemon Blades' powers, he just destroyed his Warlord. My Ministrorum Priest hacked through the Nobs.
  • Two Daemon Blades are really good!
  • The setup of my Squad worked really well. Crusaders tank, Assassins can kill MEQ and for TEQ I had my Priest with his Axe and my Inquisitor. Only thing I would add is either more Crusaders or more Assassins.

• 2 weeks later...

Is here someone awesome in math and statistics?

I'm trying to figure out how likely it is to get a certain power on the Daemon Blades' table.

Here is the raw data:

We take two Daemon Blades. Each Daemon Blades generates two Powers by throwing 2 2D6. If we get the same result twice, we can choose the second power freely. Results can be:

2-3

11+

I now want to know, how likely it is to get Nr. 9 (which gives Eternal Warrior and FNP) AND Nr. 5 (which gives AP2), keeping in mind that we have 4 throws at the table and any result that occurs twice can be changed out.

Example:

I throw 4 2D6 and get 8, 8, 10 and 5. I now could scratch the second 8 and replace it with Nr. 9. 

There are 9 different powers on the table and we have 4 throws at it, so my reasoning was: 9/4=0,11 -> 11% to get a single chosen power. However, the possibilities are not the same for each result. We can only "generate" a 9 if the dice show either 5+4 or 6+3. But we can, for example, generate a 7 if the dice show 6+1, 5+2, 4+3, thus, 7 has a higher overall chance to be generated than 9. Now we also have to keep in mind that any double-power we get can be replaced to get Nr. 9 or Nr. 5... and that is just too complicated for my math-skills. 

If someone could list the chances of:

Nr. 5 being one of the results (taking into account the possibility to just choose Nr. 5 if we get the same result twice)

Nr. 9 being one of the results (taking into account the possibility to just choose Nr. 9 if we get the same result twice)

Nr. 5 AND Nr. 9 being one of the results (taking into account the possibility to just choose Nr. 5 and Nr. 9 if we get the same three times).

I shall be forever grateful to whoever can answer this! :)

There are 9 different powers on the table and we have 4 throws at it, so my reasoning was: 9/4=0,11 -> 11% to get a single chosen power.

9/4 is not .11, and you'd want 4/9 anyway (a 44% chance). But I don't know enough to calculate this, unfortunately.

I really should get to bed, but here goes. There are 36 possible outcomes from a 2Dd6 roll.

1-1

1-2

1-3

6-5

6-6

Have your servitor fill in the bit in the middle.

For each result on the daemon blade table check how many of the 36 possible rolls give that result. You've already found some of the rolls that total 7. They're 1-6, 2-5, 3-4, 4-3, 5-2 and 6-1 so that's a 6 in 36 chance of rolling a 7 on 2d6. 6/36 can be simplified to 1/6, so you have as much chance of rolling exactly 7 on 2d6 as you have of rolling a 6 on a single d6.

You can work out the chances of rolling a 5, and of rolling a 9, in the same format of x/y. Multiply these two fractions together and you have an estimate of how likely you are to roll both the 5 and 9 result in two throws. With two blades you roll twice as many times and are twice as likely to get the two results you want.

I say 'estimate' because that doesn't take into account the chances of rolling a duplicate and choosing. Aw censored.gif:, I'm going to have to see this through now...

Back in a minute.

Chance of rolling a 5 on 2d6 is 4 results in 36. The chance of rolling a 9 is the same which makes this bit quite easy. 4/36 simplifies to 1/9. The chance of getting either result is 2/9.

The chances of rolling a 5, or a 9, or a result you already rolled are the sum of the odds for each of those outcomes.

If your first roll was a 3 (this is a 1/18 chance) then the likelihood of rolling a 5, or a 9, or a 3 are 1/9 + 1/9 + 1/18. 1/9 is the same as 2/18 so we have 2/18 + 2/18 + 1/18 which comes to 5/18 or a bit less than one third.

How to calculate the odds of achieving a 5 and a 9 over all 4 rolls and accounting for duplicates is beyond me at 1:30 in the morning, but I hope this helps.

Archived