Frag cannon for devastators?

Bigddiesel

5 marines dropped next to the one of enemy's most dangerous units with little to no chance of survival, basically suicide-bombing a high value target doesn't seem to mesh with the concept of each marine being a veteran of numerous campaigns (BAs serve as tacticals prior to assault assignment?) equipped with top of the line and sometimes irreplacable heirloom weaponry.

5 marines dropped next to the one of enemy's most dangerous units with little to no chance of survival, basically suicide-bombing a high value target doesn't seem to mesh with the concept of each marine being a veteran of numerous campaigns (BAs serve as tacticals prior to assault assignment?) equipped with top of the line and sometimes irreplacable heirloom weaponry.

From the Chapter that sends irreplaceable suits of terminator armour into Space Hulks on Suicide Missions: Fragestators!

Seriously, sending the best troops and equipment into the most dangerous areas is the whole ethos of the space marines. Captains in millenia old armour lead from the front. Marines are expected and accept that they will die, they just wish it to be a glorious one.

Chapter relics can be recovered from the Honoured Dead after the extinction of the enemy.

That sounds like Space Marines whole MO!

Since Blood Angels are CC orientated, it would be sense in a term we would get Heavy Flamers and or Frag Cannons for the Devastators who could move and fire, keeping up with rest army. but that would probably make BA too unique for power armor army and would make them against force to recon with... but then, Eldars have D-weapon Light in forms of D-scythes S D-1 ap2 flamers so I can't see it completely impossible...

Personally, should a BA Devastator squad come, i imagine the kit/fluff with this :

Specific BA wargears :

- Frag Cannon =======> Close Range ==> Effective VS all on 6+, but template.

- Assault Cannon =====> Mid Range ====> Effective VS all on 6+,  and T4/4+, but Heavy and 24".

- Autocannon ========> Long Range ===> It depend of the Autocannon Pattern special rule that may come with it^^.

Shared wargears :

- Multi Melta =========> Mid Range ====> Effective VS all, but 24" and heavy 1.

- Lascannon =========> Long Range ===> Effective VS all.

Such a BA Devastator Squad would at the current rules regard be pretty well balanced and fluffy.

Since the Blood Angels Tactical Squad already possess Heavy Bolter, the need is lowered, while the Missile Launcher is replaced by the Autocannon.

We won't get a BA specific dev set, were already catered for by the maribe one.

I'm struggling to see where a plastic great cannon could fit into our range. Best I can think of is a alternate special weapon in a new BA tactical terminator box

I'm struggling to see where a plastic great cannon could fit into our range. Best I can think of is a alternate special weapon in a new BA tactical terminator box

Could go back to the good old days... a Clampack with 2 marines in, both with Frag Cannons :')

Could go back to the good old days... a Clampack with 2 marines in, both with Frag Cannons :')

The good old days, indeed!

I better belive in a BA-dev box like Longfangs than old-style infantry clampacks.

Or even maybe shooty terminators. There is  deffinetly some reason why they released only assault termies and not dual-kit like else stand-alone  chapters

I better belive in a BA-dev box like Longfangs than old-style infantry clampacks.

Or even maybe shooty terminators. There is deffinetly some reason why they released only assault termies and not dual-kit like else stand-alone chapters

The reason will be that someone sculpted them, that's it really. They wanted another unit for the release and they probably figured blood angels = assault!

Shame they didn't get any cool rules.

The reason will be that someone sculpted them, that's it really. They wanted another unit for the release and they probably figured blood angels = assault!

Shame they didn't get any cool rules.

The kind of did - the archangels formations in Exterminatus. Shame theyre redundant now. But the banner is still cool.

On this note, I came across this web page that had images of both the sprures and the assembly instructions for the models.

Now unless I'm massively misreading this, the frag cannon attaches to the front and left arm of the model in the same way that anyother under slung heavy weapon would (specifically heavy flamers from our tactical box, or the forge world 30K stuff). The right arm attaches under the shoukder / above the elbow, so some minor triming to the right arm would be required, but nothimg complex. Basically it's Blood Angels tactical box + 4 frag cannons from bits site, plus 4 heavy weapons back packs from bits site = BA Dev squad, with frag cannons, and BA bling.

This got me thinking that there is no reason that the parts couldn't be aquired from a bits site and kitbashed to make the models, even if the rules aren't their yet.

URL: http://www.spikeybits.com/2016/02/deathwatch-overkill-astartes-minis-assembled.html

What do you guys reckon?

So if we are lucky enough to get the frag cannon, what do you think would be a fair point cost for the upgrade. Should it be more or less than grav devorstators?

The potential devastation of 4 of these in a drop pod is just wow nice!

You could give the serg a power fist, add a priest and actually turn a dev squad into a pretty hard assault unit to since frag cannons are assault weapons!

I cant see gw going this way though

In my dreams, in Christmas 2014, when the Blood Angels new Terminators Squad was rumored, i imagined that we would have the same treatments as the Dark Angels Terminators Squad. With a Frag Cannon for Terminators, like the Plasma Cannon the Dark Angels squad can choose.

This; personally I'm not that keen on the idea of handing out Frag Cannons to every Devastator, but having them as a BA-unique option for Terminators would have been nice. Similarly I'd like to see Wolf Guard Terminators get Helfrost Cannons, and I think Grav Cannons should have been given to vanilla Terminators rather then Devastators, but there you go.

Archived